Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Indicate your highest level of education? for Skilled worker

Wikiposts

Indicate your highest level of education? for Skilled worker

Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:14 am
Just Joined

nilzor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Indicate your highest level of education? for Skilled worker

Hi,

According tho the self-assessment test on the CIC website you have the following options:

Did not complete secondary school (also called high school)
1-Obtained a secondary school credential
2-Obtained a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 12 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
3-Obtained a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 13 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
4-Obtained a one-year university degree at the bachelor's level and completed at least 13 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
5-Obtained a two-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
6-Obtained a university degree of two years or more at the bachelor's level and completed at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
7-Obtained a three-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship (other than university) and completed at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
8-Obtained two or more university degrees at the bachelor's level and completed at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
9-Obtained a master's or Ph.D. and completed at least 17 years of full-time education or full-time equivalent studies

In my case I have a 3 1/2 yr diploma/trade certificate, which I acquired trough co-op. So no full-time school.
Besides that I finished High school as well back home in europe.

In my case would I just chose what is closest to my total years of education?
Does co-op/apprenticeship count as full-time studies, even thou I attended 2 days a week in school?
#7 would be the closest but I don't have a total of 15 yrs of full-time studies. I would have 10yrs High school + 3 1/2 Diploma

Thanks
Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:33 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indicate your highest level of education? for Skilled worker

Fitting a myriad of possible education schemes into an immigration system is difficult. I think that number 5 fits you best and would be accepted by the visa officer when reviewing your application.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nilzor
In my case I have a 3 1/2 yr diploma/trade certificate, which I acquired trough co-op. So no full-time school.
Besides that I finished High school as well back home in europe.

In my case would I just chose what is closest to my total years of education?
Does co-op/apprenticeship count as full-time studies, even thou I attended 2 days a week in school?
#7 would be the closest but I don't have a total of 15 yrs of full-time studies. I would have 10yrs High school + 3 1/2 Diploma
You say you did 2 full days in school, but what did you do for the other 3 days? Was it a part-time course, or full-time but with on the job training?

Plus you mention high school, but what about primary school? You include that as well in your total years.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 5:20 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like he went to an eastern Europe school when they go to a 10 year school and then on to take trade or university. A coop seems to describe an apprenticeship. He should clarify that in his application.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:01 am
Just Joined

nilzor is an unknown quantity at this point

It was in germany actually, 10 yrs school. Thats was about 2 days of school and 3 days on-the-job training.
Jim Humphries got that right, this is how the system is setup.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 6:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nilzor
It was in germany actually, 10 yrs school. Thats was about 2 days of school and 3 days on-the-job training.
Jim Humphries got that right, this is how the system is setup.
Ah, I see. In which case, I'd agree with Jim and go with no. 5.