Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Independent Application H & C from USA

Independent Application H & C from USA

Old Aug 25th 2002, 5:51 am
James Melrose

Default Independent Application H & C from USA

I am a Canadian Citizen. My partner is a citizen of the Dominican Republic. My same
sex partner has a pending independant immigration application at the Buffalo, NY
Service Centre. He received a file # in July almost 6 months after the original
application was sent in. Standard processing time is 30 weeks from this point on...

My question is - during this long processing period, my partner's visa in the United
States may expire. How would this affect his application to immigrate to Canada? He
does not want to transfer his file back to the Dominican Republic? Are there any
alternatives for us to be together in Canada (legally) or should we just ride out the
indefinate time line on his independent application in the USA?

Old Aug 25th 2002, 9:52 am
The Wizzard

Default Re: Independent Application H & C from USA

i think his main problem if he had to leave the USA would be getting back to the USA
if he was called for an interview. if he got his interview waived then he could leave
the USA without as much worry.

"James Melrose" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
e.com
    > I am a Canadian Citizen. My partner is a citizen of the Dominican Republic. My
    > same sex partner has a pending independant immigration application at the Buffalo,
    > NY Service Centre. He received a file # in July almost 6 months after the original
    > application was sent in. Standard processing time is 30 weeks from this point on...
    > My question is - during this long processing period, my partner's visa in the
    > United States may expire. How would this affect his application to immigrate to
    > Canada? He does not want to transfer his file back to the Dominican Republic? Are
    > there any alternatives for us to be together in Canada (legally) or should we just
    > ride out the indefinate time line on his independent application in the USA?