Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Including Children on TWPs - It's a must!

Including Children on TWPs - It's a must!

Old Aug 12th 2011, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

Sumner5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Including Children on TWPs - It's a must!

Just wanted to share a cautionary (sorry) tale of our recent experiences that might help others.

We travelled from NS to the US border at St Stephen at the end of July to secure TWPs for both my husband and myself (flagpoling). Although the experience itself was more fraught than I care to describe here the issues weren't even over when we left..although we didn't realise it then!

On returning to NS, elated to have the permits in our passports (whilst we wait for our FSW PR application to progress) we went to apply for Health Cards for us all only to be told that because the CBSA Officer had FAILED to add the children's names and DOBs to the TWP of the Principal Applicant they would not be eligible for health cards!!

As we had not even realised that the children should appear on the TWP we had of course failed to ensure this was the case before we left St Stephen - and tbh we had expected the CBSA Officer to do his job properly .

So this left us with the prospect of a 12 hour round trip back to the border or to find an alternative. CIC in downtown Halifax claimed it was nothing to do with them and passed us to the CBSA 'Helpline' who after several hours and many more fraught calls suggested we speak to one of the CBSA team at Halifax airport.

FINALLY we connected with someone at the airport who applied some common sense and agreed to simply reprint the TWP with the children's details added (although this took two attempts as he failed to input their DOBs correctly!!).

So the 'moral' of the story is ENSURE YOUR CHILDREN APPEAR ON YOUR TWP!

Goodness knows what other issues might have arisen from this - such as with the school board, but all's well that ends well I suppose. Just another 'chapter' in our challenge to make Canada our new home.

Hope this helps others who follow.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 6:55 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Including Children on TWPs - It's a must!

What a nightmare. I have been finding since we arrived here that often things are not done correctly or you are not given the whole truth and therefore are left to pick up the pieces. This is one of my issues with Canada (or maybe just NS) along with peoples lack of rear lights on their cars in fog (another thread there sorry)

We are planning on going to St Stephens if we need to, to activate our PR and I shall be on the lookout for any potential issues like you have had.

Have you been to get your SIN yet? - that was a merry 2 hour wait that I never wish to repeat!

I do love it here though - just wanted to add!!
Old Aug 12th 2011, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Although I don't have kids to worry about I on both occasions went for my SIN (had to get it renewed when we renewed our TWP) and was in and out in 10 mins with no problems.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Sumner5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Although I don't have kids to worry about I on both occasions went for my SIN (had to get it renewed when we renewed our TWP) and was in and out in 10 mins with no problems.
Actually found the SIN application 'refreshingly' swift - was out within 30 minutes (but we had been advised to go first thing in the morning)!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 1:18 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

we will go at the crack of dawn if we need to go there again