Inadmissibility Advice

Old Nov 17th 2014, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

deanomcfc1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Inadmissibility Advice

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and have joined due to recently looking seriously in to applying for permanent residency in the future. Here's my problem(s)…

I have 3 offences on my criminal record.
1. Assault Occasioning Actual Bodily Harm, 2003- Warning.
2. Battery, 2006- Conviction, 24 month conditional discharge.
3. Battery, 2011- Caution.

These don't show on a basic disclosure as they're spent but I know will/do on the ACRO I'll need.

Obviously I'm absolutely devastated that I was an Idiot when I was younger, I'm now 28 and a different person.

I have been travelling to Canada very regularly for years as my daughter moved there with my ex girlfriend in 2008 (obviously without knowing the inadmissibility laws, having never even being asked about my criminal background at immigration).

I was in the British army for 9 years, during which I committed these crimes for fighting (IDIOT). I left in 2012 and have been working in the Middle East since, providing security for the Swedish Embassy (decent job).

I now have a Canadian fiancé who I'll be marrying soon.

I've been searching and searching online to find out if there's a possibility of getting permanent residency but can't put the laws together and work it out. Obviously I'll need to got down one of the rehabilitation routes, but I'm still not sure if I'll qualify??

I'll have a lot of explaining to do to my would be wife and daughter when I can't visit.

Thanks for any advice/help in advance

Dean
Old Nov 17th 2014, 9:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inadmissibility Advice

Hi, and welcome to BE.

It does sounds as though you'd need criminal rehab, but if I were you I'd do an 'info only' app - much quicker, and will at least tell you for sure if you need to do a full rehab app or not.

The only question will be if you can apply for rehab or not - you can't until at least 5 years have passed from the end of your last sentence, so if the battery in 2011 counts, you'll not be able to even apply until 2016. But an info only app will tell you for sure.

And don't visit in the meantime! Now you know you probably shouldn't have been entering Canada in the past without rehab, don't compound it by doing it again.

Good luck.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

deanomcfc1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Inadmissibility Advice

Hi, Christmasoompa

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think that's the option I'm going to take, just to find out. I have read on this forum somewhere about people applying with just minor cautions earlier than the 5 years point and being admissible though? Suppose the only way to find out is try.

Thanks again