Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

importing a car: charges for odometer change ??

importing a car: charges for odometer change ??

Old Jan 30th 2002, 7:26 am
Patou

Hi all:

I will be importing a car from the US into Canada, as a new immigrant in the coming
spring. Does anyone know a ball park figure concerning the charge I may have to pay
to change the odometer from a mile-based one to a metric one? Thanks

Old Jan 30th 2002, 9:36 am
\"Half-Canadian\

You're not required to convert the speedometer to metric calibrations when you import
your car unless you want to. The other option is to have stickers applied to the
dashboard that indicate the instruments are calibrated in miles, not kilometres.

I decided to have both of my cars converted to metric units when I landed, and I'm
glad I did. If you go to a dealer the cost will be quite high, $400.00 and up. I took
my cars to a shop that specializes in exporting Canadian cars to the US market. They
had boxes full of used metric instrument clusters that they had taken out of the cars
they were exporting. My cost to have the conversion done for the car that had a
standard odometer was a case of Corona Beer, as it was easy and they were happy to
have a "free" US instrument cluster they could put into another car. My other car had
a digital readout for the mileage -- that one was more complicated and cost $200.00
plus another case of beer.

>
    >
    >
the
    >
    >

Old Jan 30th 2002, 10:32 am
Patou

cool, thanks half-canadian, i'm gonna buy a truck load of coronas then....

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
exporting.
    >
odometer
    >
    >
car
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi all:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I will be importing a car from the US into Canada, as a new immigrant in[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > coming spring. Does anyone know a ball park figure concerning the charge[/usenetquote2]
I
[usenetquote2]> > may have to pay to change the odometer from a mile-based one to a metric one?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 30th 2002, 11:00 am
LadyBug4u2ca

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Why bother....that isn't required. However you will need to add daylight running
lamps and a theather strap ( child car safety seat).

For my ford windstar I didn't need the strap, but the dealer told me it would be
about 1000$ for the new lamps, took the car to a repair place and it took about 3-4
hours and 300$

Hope this helps

LadyBug

Old Jan 30th 2002, 11:39 am
Patou

thanks ladybug

>

>
[usenetquote2]> >Hi all:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >I will be importing a car from the US into Canada, as a new immigrant in[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> >coming spring. Does anyone know a ball park figure concerning the charge[/usenetquote2]
I
[usenetquote2]> >may have to pay to change the odometer from a mile-based one to a metric[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >one? Thanks[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 30th 2002, 12:23 pm
Stuart Brook

And you still paid WAY too much. There's an acceptable DRL module available from a
Certain Tire Company that sells all manner of hardware too for about $40. It comes
with instructions to DIY, or can be done by any competent soul in under an hour for
another $50 ... total cost should not exceed $100!

Stuart

Patou wrote:
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:26:04 GMT, "Patou"[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > >Hi all:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >I will be importing a car from the US into Canada, as a new immigrant in[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > >coming spring. Does anyone know a ball park figure concerning the charge[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > >may have to pay to change the odometer from a mile-based one to a metric one?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >Thanks[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Why bother....that isn't required. However you will need to add daylight running[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > lamps and a theather strap ( child car safety seat).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > For my ford windstar I didn't need the strap, but the dealer told me it would be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > about 1000$ for the new lamps, took the car to a repair place and it took about[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 3-4 hours and 300$[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Hope this helps[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > LadyBug[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 30th 2002, 3:36 pm
Luterin

I got hold of a DRL module off the internet for under $50 and installed myself... did
take half a day, though, as I couldn't get my hands on the vehicle's electrical
circuit diagrams and had to figure out the lighting circuit first.

Also, picked up the tether assembly at ToysRUS and DIY'd it in half an hour.

-Lute.

Old Jan 30th 2002, 10:45 pm
Jillion

lute, where did u get the DRL module for under $50? would u have any problem passing
the inspection if u DIY?

"luterin" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 30th 2002, 11:02 pm
Stuart Brook

I got one at Canadian Tire.

The inspection was quite happy with it ... it just has to work.

The actual inspection was really a formality ... double check the vin and make sure
you have tethers if applicable and check the DRLs. Total time, 5 mins. Wait for the
approval back from RIV about 40 minutes!

Stuart

jillion wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I got hold of a DRL module off the internet for under $50 and installed myself...[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > did take half a day, though, as I couldn't get my hands on the vehicle's[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > electrical circuit diagrams and had to figure out the lighting circuit first.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Also, picked up the tether assembly at ToysRUS and DIY'd it in half an hour.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > -Lute.[/usenetquote2]

Old Feb 4th 2002, 11:46 pm
Meg Lamont

Hi T-Rex Jockey,

When I imported my 1995 Toyota 4Runner, I did not have to convert the odometer. It
has both measurements and Ontario did not make me change it. Also, Canadian Tire did
my federal and provincial inspection as well as changing my lights to day time
running lights. Be sure to have the recall document from your manufacturer of your
vehicle that states that there are not any outstanding recall issues on your vehicle.
Without this, the federal inspection can not be performed. They will have to wait
until you provide that documentation from the manufactor. I just called Toyota the
800 number and you supply the VIN and they faxed me the report that my vehicle was
clear of any recall issues.

Meg

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I got hold of a DRL module off the internet for under $50 and installed myself...[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > did take half a day, though, as I couldn't get my hands on the vehicle's[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > electrical circuit diagrams and had to figure out the lighting circuit first.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Also, picked up the tether assembly at ToysRUS and DIY'd it in half an[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > -Lute.[/usenetquote2]

Old Feb 5th 2002, 12:24 am
Stephen C. Gallagher

>
    >
    >
    >

Odometers do not have km/h markings. It's the SPEEDOMETER that lists km/h (or mph in
the US). The speedometer tells you how fast the car is travelling. A speedometer in a
US car will normally display mph in larger numbers, with a smaller set of numbers
listing km/h. In Canada, it's the reverse with the km/h being the larger numbers and
mph being smaller.

As long as the speedometer has a km/h display, it does not have to be modified to
qualify for importation into Canada. The km/h numbers can be the smaller of the two
sets of markings. Some people may or may not have problems using the smaller numbers.

On the flip side, an odometer tells the total distance that the car has been driven.
In the US, odometers are calibrated to display miles driven, in Canada they display
kilometers driven.

Canada does not require that an imported car have it's odometer changed to measure or
display kilometers driven. If it displays miles driven, I believe that it will
qualify as long as there is a sticker or other indicator on the dash that indicates
the odometer is calibrated in miles. Some cars have electronic odometers that will
display the distance driven in both kilometers or miles, at the push of a button.
Lastly, you can have a metric odometer installed in your car, if you really want to.

Old Feb 5th 2002, 9:44 am
T-Rex Jockey

Thank you for correcting me. That was my fingers working too fast for my eyes and my
brain. I was trying to ask about the speedometer, but I forgot about the odometer. It
was a good thing that you gave answers to both.

Told you I was about to ask a dumb question

"Stephen C. Gallagher" <[email protected]> wrote in

[usenetquote2]> > This may seem like a very dumb question, but I just have to make sure.[/usenetquote2]
You
[usenetquote2]> > only have to change your odometer to metric if your existing odometer doesn't[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > have km/hr markings, right? Most cars I've driven have km/hr markings in smaller[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > print. Those cars don't have to be modified, right?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >