importing 1995 Toyota Corolla

Old Feb 16th 2001, 1:04 am
sanjay_sharma

I have 1995 Toyota Corolla made in USA. I plan to drive to Canada when landing. This car
is in the admissible list of Canadian Transport department.

1. will they check the car at the border. My car is 83,000 miles driven and I hope it does
not create a problem there.

2. do I have to produce some vehicle recall information.

3. any other important thing I should not forget.

TIA.

Old Feb 16th 2001, 1:25 pm
Hello All

1. No mechanical inspection is done. VIN # would be checked. You would go through
inspection when you register the car.
2. Yes. Get a letter from Toyota mentioning that there is no outstanding recall
on your car.
3. Go to www.riv.com and US Customs Web site. U have provide original of car title to US
Customs for their clearance.

> I have 1995 Toyota Corolla made in USA. I plan to drive to Canada when landing. This car
> is in the admissible list of Canadian Transport department.
>
> 1. will they check the car at the border. My car is 83,000 miles driven and I hope it
> does not create a problem there.
>
> 2. do I have to produce some vehicle recall information.
>
> 3. any other important thing I should not forget.
>
> TIA.

Old Feb 19th 2001, 6:37 am
White Zombie

> I have 1995 Toyota Corolla made in USA. I plan to drive to Canada when landing. This car
> is in the admissible list of Canadian Transport
department.
>
> 1. will they check the car at the border. My car is 83,000 miles driven
and
> I hope it does not create a problem there.
>
> 2. do I have to produce some vehicle recall information.
>
> 3. any other important thing I should not forget.
>
> TIA.
>

1. Not really. Customs will check the documents for the car. Customs will NOT: Do a
safety standards inspection; do an emissions inspection; inspect the car for any other
reason except to look for contraband, and then, only if they have a reason to believe
there IS contraband.

2. I do not believe that recall information will factor highly with Canada Customs.

3. Yes: Do not forget that you must have CLEAR TITLE to your vehicle in order to import
it into Canada. This means no liens held by any third parties. Better get a title
search done or be prepared to produce a document of title. ALSO: You will pay taxes.
The vehicle may be subject to GST and/or Excise tax and/or Duties. You will be
informed of the amount when you arrive. The taxes are based on the book value of the
auto, not on what you decide to tell customs the value is. You will also pay Ontario
Retail Sales Tax (PST) when you register it in Ontario. FINALLY: On the day you
arrive, have all the pertinent info handy: VIN #, make, model and year of
manufacture, etc.

WZ A customs officer

Old Feb 19th 2001, 3:31 pm
PMM

Hi

>

> > I have 1995 Toyota Corolla made in USA. I plan to drive to Canada when landing. This
> > car is in the admissible list of Canadian Transport
> department.
> >
> > 1. will they check the car at the border. My car is 83,000 miles driven
> and
> > I hope it does not create a problem there.
> >
> > 2. do I have to produce some vehicle recall information.
> >
> > 3. any other important thing I should not forget.
> >
snipped
>
> 3. Yes: Do not forget that you must have CLEAR TITLE to your vehicle in order to import
> it into Canada. This means no liens held by any third parties. Better get a title
> search done or be prepared to produce a document of title. ALSO: You will pay taxes.
> The vehicle may be subject to GST and/or Excise tax and/or Duties. You will be
> informed of the
amount
> when you arrive. The taxes are based on the book value of the auto, not
on
> what you decide to tell customs the value is. You will also pay Ontario Retail Sales Tax
> (PST) when you register it in Ontario. FINALLY: On the day you arrive, have all the
> pertinent info handy: VIN #, make, model and year of manufacture, etc.
>
>
> WZ A customs officer
>
Note: WZ, suggest you bone up on the customs act. He is coming to be "landed" as settlers
effects his car is NOT subject to taxes and duty.

PMM

Old Feb 20th 2001, 1:49 am
Stephen C. Gallagher

> 3. Yes: Do not forget that you must have CLEAR TITLE to your vehicle in order to import
> it into Canada. This means no liens held by any third parties. Better get a title
> search done or be prepared to produce a document of title. ALSO: You will pay taxes.
> The vehicle may be subject to GST and/or Excise tax and/or Duties. You will be
> informed of the
amount
> when you arrive.

A person coming to Canada as a landed immigrant can normally import all of his
possessions duty and tax free. There shouldn't be any duties, GST, excise or other taxes
due on the car.

>The taxes are based on the book value of the auto, not on what you decide to tell
>customs the value is. You will also pay Ontario Retail Sales Tax (PST) when you register
>it in Ontario.

If the car was previously registered in the US while he lived there, then he can claim and
will receive an exemption from Ontario sales tax. No PST will be due.

Stephen Gallagher

Old Feb 20th 2001, 6:50 pm
White Zombie

> Hi
>

> >

> > > I have 1995 Toyota Corolla made in USA. I plan to drive to Canada when landing. This
> > > car is in the admissible list of Canadian Transport
> > department.
> > >
> > > 1. will they check the car at the border. My car is 83,000 miles
driven
> > and
> > > I hope it does not create a problem there.
> > >
> > > 2. do I have to produce some vehicle recall information.
> > >
> > > 3. any other important thing I should not forget.
> > >
> snipped
> >
> > 3. Yes: Do not forget that you must have CLEAR TITLE to your vehicle
in
> > order to import it into Canada. This means no liens held by any third parties. Better
> > get a title search done or be prepared to produce a document of title. ALSO: You will
> > pay taxes. The vehicle may be
subject
> > to GST and/or Excise tax and/or Duties. You will be informed of the
> amount
> > when you arrive. The taxes are based on the book value of the auto, not
> on
> > what you decide to tell customs the value is. You will also pay Ontario Retail Sales
> > Tax (PST) when you register it in Ontario. FINALLY: On
the
> > day you arrive, have all the pertinent info handy: VIN #, make, model
and
> > year of manufacture, etc.
> >
> >
> > WZ A customs officer
> >
> Note: WZ, suggest you bone up on the customs act. He is coming to be "landed" as
> settlers effects his car is NOT subject to taxes and duty.
>
> PMM
> >
> >

Old Feb 20th 2001, 6:57 pm
White Zombie

Hi, PMM.

Note: Suggest you do some more research or come work for us for a while... while settler's
effects are GST and duty free, they are not Excise tax free. All imported vehicles
which contain an air conditioner must pay a $100 air conditioner excise tax,
regardless of whether they are settler's effects or not. Further, some vehicles may
or may not attract other excise taxes (such as gasoline-guzzler taxes, or tire
taxes), again, which are due regardless of the importer's status.

Finally, Retail sales tax (PST) is always paid when the vehicle is registered for the
first time at the Ministery of Transportation, again, regardless of the importer's status.

Also, there is a per-vehicle value limit which can apply, which if I recall is $15,000
VFD. If the vehicle exceeds this value, the excess is dutiable (incl. GST). This was
introduced because settlers were, for a while, in the habit of suddenly purchasing
expensive BMW's for import days before landing. For this reason, there is also a 6-month
own, use and possess requirement on ALL settler's effects.

WZ A customs officer who was done some research.

P.S. - But don't take my word for it ... check the CCRA's website, look for our
publications "Settlers to Canada" and "Importing a Motor Vehicle to Canada" which
are available online.

> Hi
>

> >

> > > I have 1995 Toyota Corolla made in USA. I plan to drive to Canada when landing. This
> > > car is in the admissible list of Canadian Transport
> > department.
> > >
> > > 1. will they check the car at the border. My car is 83,000 miles
driven
> > and
> > > I hope it does not create a problem there.
> > >
> > > 2. do I have to produce some vehicle recall information.
> > >
> > > 3. any other important thing I should not forget.
> > >
> snipped
> >
in
> > order to import it into Canada. This means no liens held by any third parties. Better
> > get a title search done or be prepared to produce a document of title. ALSO: You will
subject
> amount
> > when you arrive. The taxes are based on the book value of the auto, not
> on
> > what you decide to tell customs the value is. You will also pay Ontario Retail Sales
> > Tax (PST) when you register it in Ontario. FINALLY: On
the
> > day you arrive, have all the pertinent info handy: VIN #, make, model
and
> > year of manufacture, etc.
> >
> >
> > WZ A customs officer
> >
> Note: WZ, suggest you bone up on the customs act. He is coming to be "landed" as
> settlers effects his car is NOT subject to taxes and duty.
>
> PMM
> >
> >

Old Feb 20th 2001, 7:00 pm
White Zombie

in
subject
> amount
> > when you arrive.
>
> A person coming to Canada as a landed immigrant can normally import all of his
> possessions duty and tax free. There shouldn't be any duties, GST, excise or other taxes
> due on the car.
>
> >The taxes are based on the book value of the auto, not on what you decide to tell
> >customs the value is. You will also pay Ontario Retail Sales Tax (PST) when you
> >register it in Ontario.
>
> If the car was previously registered in the US while he lived there, then he can claim
> and will receive an exemption from Ontario sales tax. No PST will be due.

Provincial taxes aren't my department, since we do not collect them on vehicles at the
border, to my knowledge. If the province refunds PST on vehicles recently imported from
the U.S., then good on them.

Once again, excise taxes, particularly the $100 Air Conditioner tax, still apply, again,
to my knowledge, on settler's effects vehicles. And again, there is the $15,000 cap and
the 6-month own, use, possess requirement.

WZ

>
> Stephen Gallagher

Old Feb 21st 2001, 6:55 am
Rich Wales

"White Zombie" wrote:

> while settler's effects are GST and duty free, they are not Excise tax free. . . .
> Finally, Retail sales tax (PST) is always paid . . . regardless of the importer's
> status. . . . there is also a 6-month own, use and possess requirement on ALL
> settler's effects.

When did these current policies come into force?

When I immigrated to Canada at the end of 1992, and imported my used vehicle (as settler's
effects) in January 1993, I was not assessed any taxes whatsoever. In particular, I was
not asked to pay any excise tax on the car's air conditioner, and I was not assessed PST
by the MTO when I registered the car in Ontario.

Also, I was =not= asked by Canada Customs if I had owned my settler's effects (my car, or
anything else) for at least six months (or any other length of time).

I'm not saying you're mistaken; I'm just asking when things changed.

> P.S. - But don't take my word for it ... check the CCRA's website, look for our
> publications "Settlers to Canada" and "Importing a Motor Vehicle to Canada"
> which are available online.

Thanks. I did this, and when I read the page on the settlers' effects tariff
(http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/.../d2-2-1ed.html), I was unable to find any
reference to "ownership, possession, and use" having to be for at least six months prior
to importation.

I also read the PDF file RC4151, "Settling in Canada", and could not find any reference
there either to a six-month ownership, possession, and use requirement.

Again, I'm not saying here that you're wrong. If you're aware of newer documents that
include this change, I (and presumably others) would be grateful for a pointer to the
newer info.

Rich Wales [email protected] http://www.webcom.com/richw/
*NOTE: I've lived in both Canada and the US and have dual citizenship.
*DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, professional immigration consultant,
or consular officer. My comments are for discussion purposes only and
are not intended to be relied upon as legal or professional advice.

Old Feb 21st 2001, 12:37 pm
Stephen C. Gallagher

> > A person coming to Canada as a landed immigrant can normally import all of his
> > possessions duty and tax free. There shouldn't be any duties, GST, excise or other
> > taxes due on the car.
> >
> > >The taxes are based on the book value of the auto, not on what you decide to tell
> > >customs the value is. You will also pay
Ontario
> > > Retail Sales Tax (PST) when you register it in Ontario.
> >
> > If the car was previously registered in the US while he lived there, then he can claim
> > and will receive an exemption from Ontario sales tax. No PST will be due.
>
> Once again, excise taxes, particularly the $100 Air Conditioner tax, still apply, again,
> to my knowledge, on settler's effects vehicles. And again, there is the $15,000 cap and
> the 6-month own, use, possess requirement.

For first time settlers, there is no cap on value of the goods that can be brought in duty
and tax free.

Former residents, who are moving back to Canada after being away for at least one year, do
have cap of $10,000, not $15,000. In the case of returning former residents, any item's
value that exceeds $10,000 is subject to duty and GST.

First time settlers do not pay the $100 air conditioner excise tax. Former residents do
have to pay it, when importing their cars.

The requirement for ownership use and possession for first time settlers is that the
goods must have been in in their ownership, use and possession at any time prior to
arrival in Canada.

Former residents who have lived outside Canada for more than one year, but less than five
years, must have owned, possessed, and used the goods for at least six months prior to
arrival in Canada. Former residents who have lived outside Canada for more than five years
only have to have owned, possessed, and used the items at any time prior to arrival.

Stephen Gallagher

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 8:27 pm
White Zombie

> For first time settlers, there is no cap on value of the goods that can be brought in
> duty and tax free.
>
> Former residents, who are moving back to Canada after being away for at least one year,
> do have cap of $10,000, not $15,000. In the case of returning former residents, any
> item's value that exceeds $10,000 is subject to duty and GST.

Whoops, my goof... of course I work at an airport, and don't see many vehicle imports. You
are completely right that the value cap applies to former residents (and Cdn government
employees posted abroad, etc., etc., is is more plainly described in D2-3-2). And you are
right that the value cap is $10,000 not $15,000 (should've double checked that one, but I
was tired).

However, I was quite sure the excise tax was still applicable on first-time imported
cars... again since we don't handle too many vehicle imports in Passenger - Traffic mode
at the airport (actually, NONE), I wouldn't have any personal experience. However, I do
remember the TEPS program always tacking this little bugger on (along with the excess
weight duty) everytime I did an on-line rating. TEPS has no way of knowing if a vehicle is
a settler's effect or not, unless you rate it the 'long way' using the tariff code, or you
just describe it as 'settler's effects' along with all the other goods. So, even if duty
free, TEPS will always tack on the excise taxes.

And the ownership, use and possession requirement I believed to still be in effect for new
immigrants. What I was actually thinking of is the special requirement for vehicles
imported by new immigrants. In order to qualify under the exemption, the vehicle must have
been owned (legally titled to the importer), possessed (importer must have had physical
possession of the vehicle at some point), and used (importer musty have had free use, i.e.
the vehicle was licensed and driven a reasonable distance) prior to import into Canada.

The own, possess, use for six-months does indeed apply to former residents, except when
they have lived outside of Canada for more than five years (according to D2-3-2), as you
have noted.

Of course, every port also has its own "port policy" and every inspector
interprets/applies the D memoranda and regulations differently. For example, I don't
insist that new immigrants document their goods on hand at the time of import, unless it
is jewellery or some other expensive item (most times it is clothing or small household
appliances or kitchenware). Less paperwork = faster processing.

WZ