British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Implied status query: (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/implied-status-query-921548/)

suzeandmatt Jan 29th 2019 2:30 pm

Implied status query:

Hey folks, just looking for a little info if you can help.
Husband and I are working in Alberta under “implied status” at the moment- ie. we applied online to extend our TWP’s 2 months before they were due to expire.
Nothing has changed- husband is still working for the same place (LMIA excempt as he’s here on a Post-doc which has been extended a further 2 years-and happily we’re both still getting paid and everyone seems quite happy just waiting for the updated SIN basically), now when we applied online it said current applications were taking 50 days online and 100 by mail.
We assumed that to mean only business days so counted on from when we applied and took out public holidays etc etc which brought us to mid-January.
Now- that’s obviously been and gone and still no sign- on the CIC website it still just says “processing” so we looked on the website at times now and it currently says 81 days online and 88 days mail- and they’re apparently currently working on applications from 23rd Oct. That means we still have a while to go frustratingly!
My main question is if it does in fact take the now 81 days (and then however long it takes for the actual hard copies to be mailed out) it will take me past my birthday at the end of Feb and means my drivers license will run out.
Presumably I can’t renew it unless I have a valid work permit? And if that’s the case- is there a length of time the drivers license can be expired and I can still just apply for a new one? As in- I don’t have to resist a test do I?!

(shame we couldn’t just walk through the airport to renew it- he only took 20mins that time!) haha

Thanks folks!!

Former Lancastrian Jan 29th 2019 3:05 pm

Re: Implied status query:

I tend to think you will have new work permits before the end of February. The 81 days will be for new applications received.

Siouxie Jan 29th 2019 5:20 pm

I can't remember, did you apply for PR?

suzeandmatt Jan 29th 2019 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12629206)
I tend to think you will have new work permits before the end of February. The 81 days will be for new applications received.

okay...I really hope you’re right (I mean- you usually are!) okay- fingers crossed I don’t even have to worry about it!!

suzeandmatt Jan 29th 2019 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12629334)
I can't remember, did you apply for PR?

Not yet! It’s just been a challenge getting the money together to do it- and then because he knew his job contact was being extended it was less of a worry. He’s not the most urgent of folk! But he also works with people who’ve been on TWP’s for like 10 years so I guess they’re making him feel more relaxed about the whole thing!! Haha
He travels a lot within Canada so that’s not going to be affected at the moment but he does have a work UK trip planned soon- so if the permits don’t come through in time for that he’ll be stuck here and that will maybe be the incentive he needs.
He’s the lead applicant obviously with the PhD.
Hopefully by the end of this year we’ll have it!! His new contract is for another 2 years but I’d rather not deal with this again.

Novocastrian Jan 29th 2019 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt (Post 12629383)

Not yet! It’s just been a challenge getting the money together to do it- and then because he knew his job contact was being extended it was less of a worry. He’s not the most urgent of folk! But he also works with people who’ve been on TWP’s for like 10 years so I guess they’re making him feel more relaxed about the whole thing!! Haha
He travels a lot within Canada so that’s not going to be affected at the moment but he does have a work UK trip planned soon- so if the permits don’t come through in time for that he’ll be stuck here and that will maybe be the incentive he needs.
He’s the lead applicant obviously with the PhD.
Hopefully by the end of this year we’ll have it!! His new contract is for another 2 years but I’d rather not deal with this again.

Eh? I know things have changed since I first obtained PR in 1982 (?) but all I needed back then was a letter offering "Permanent" from my boss.* No costs involved as far as I remember.

*The boss who I eventually replaced.

Engineer_abroad Jan 30th 2019 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12629470)
Eh? I know things have changed since I first obtained PR in 1982 (?) but all I needed back then was a letter offering "Permanent" from my boss.* No costs involved as far as I remember.

Also no proof of funds required if applying via CEC. Which if you have been working in Canada for at least a year you would be invited to apply under.

suzeandmatt Jan 30th 2019 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12629470)

It’s the costs of the English tests, health checks etc etc.

Siouxie Jan 30th 2019 2:44 am

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt (Post 12629524)

It’s the costs of the English tests, health checks etc etc.

https://www.celpip.ca/notice-fee-cha...neral-ls-test/

For the medical it's worth phoning around, there is no set fee - some are cheaper than others but do ask if it includes the fee for the xray and blood tests.

:)

suzeandmatt Jan 30th 2019 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12629538)
https://www.celpip.ca/notice-fee-cha...neral-ls-test/

For the medical it's worth phoning around, there is no set fee - some are cheaper than others but do ask if it includes the fee for the xray and blood tests.

Sounds good thanks! Presumably as we’re in Alberta it will cost more than anywhere else in Canada (as per usual with health stuff!) haha

Just to double check- am I right in thinking that before we put in the application we have to have the English tests done, the education credentials and the police checks? Then once we get invited to apply we then do the medical checks?

Thanks folks! Determined to have this done by the end of this year!!

Siouxie Jan 30th 2019 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt (Post 12629773)

Sounds good thanks! Presumably as we’re in Alberta it will cost more than anywhere else in Canada (as per usual with health stuff!) haha

Just to double check- am I right in thinking that before we put in the application we have to have the English tests done, the education credentials and the police checks? Then once we get invited to apply we then do the medical checks?

Thanks folks! Determined to have this done by the end of this year!!

Most welcome :D

Yes you will need ECA and IELTS/CELPIP for the Principal Applicant when you apply (unless you need the points that having the accompanying dependent's ECA and IELTS/CELPIP results would give you, no need for both of you to get them done - see, that halves your initial costs straight away!).. then the medical for both of you once you have been invited from the pool and have medical requests... police checks you can either apply for on entry to the pool or wait until you get an invite.

Have you used the CRS calculator to see what points you would have? Do it first for himself and you as dependent, no tests, 'Assume' top marks for English testing and say yes to having ECA's done .. this is just to see what points you might have so you can determine any need for you getting your qualifications / English tests as well. Then do it the other way around - with your working in Canada, you may even find you are the better Principal Applicant! Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

Do have a play with it and then come back with your points..

suzeandmatt Jan 30th 2019 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12629833)
Most welcome :D

Yes you will need ECA and IELTS/CELPIP for the Principal Applicant when you apply (unless you need the points that having the accompanying dependent's ECA and IELTS/CELPIP results would give you, no need for both of you to get them done - see, that halves your initial costs straight away!).. then the medical for both of you once you have been invited from the pool and have medical requests... police checks you can either apply for on entry to the pool or wait until you get an invite.

Have you used the CRS calculator to see what points you would have? Do it first for himself and you as dependent, no tests, 'Assume' top marks for English testing and say yes to having ECA's done .. this is just to see what points you might have so you can determine any need for you getting your qualifications / English tests as well. Then do it the other way around - with your working in Canada, you may even find you are the better Principal Applicant! Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

Do have a play with it and then come back with your points..

Thanks for being so helpful! As always- it’s much appreciated!
So I potentially don’t have to get the ECA if we get enough points without? That would be a bit of a time/money saver yes. I knew I didn’t have to do the English tests if he had enough.

Okay so had a play with the calculator- so- with husband as the main applicant and me just a tag along without me doing an ECA or English tests he gets 506.

If I get the ECA but not the English tests we get 514.

If I get both ECA and English tests we get 534.

(This is also baring in mind he turns 32 in March- so I have just put 32 as his age in the calculator) - but it means after that he won’t lose any more points for the year.

What’re your thoughts?

:-) thanks!!

Siouxie Jan 30th 2019 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt (Post 12630022)

Thanks for being so helpful! As always- it’s much appreciated!
So I potentially don’t have to get the ECA if we get enough points without? That would be a bit of a time/money saver yes. I knew I didn’t have to do the English tests if he had enough.

Okay so had a play with the calculator- so- with husband as the main applicant and me just a tag along without me doing an ECA or English tests he gets 506.

If I get the ECA but not the English tests we get 514.

If I get both ECA and English tests we get 534.

(This is also baring in mind he turns 32 in March- so I have just put 32 as his age in the calculator) - but it means after that he won’t lose any more points for the year.

What’re your thoughts?

:-) thanks!!

You really are very welcome :)
That's a great score and would almost guarantee you an invitation without any need to get your ECA / IELTS done.. just his.. you might want to drop a note here with your points for each section to ensure that you are calculating them correctly.. but if they are correct then you would have got an invite just about every round for the past year!

You can see previous rounds: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-previous.html

The sooner you get into the EE pool the better if it's your wish to remain in Canada.. you never know when they will change the rules.. such as limiting how many years you can work here on TWP's or changing the system / Classes for immigration. (It happens).

suzeandmatt Jan 31st 2019 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12630030)
You really are very welcome :)
That's a great score and would almost guarantee you an invitation without any need to get your ECA / IELTS done.. just his.. you might want to drop a note here with your points for each section to ensure that you are calculating them correctly.. but if they are correct then you would have got an invite just about every round for the past year!

You can see previous rounds: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-previous.html

The sooner you get into the EE pool the better if it's your wish to remain in Canada.. you never know when they will change the rules.. such as limiting how many years you can work here on TWP's or changing the system / Classes for immigration. (It happens).

I know!- that’s why I keep urging him to get us to sort it out!! Haha it is nerve wracking!

Our only kinda issue is we’re not sure what NOC code to put him down for! Before we moved to Canada he was doing his PhD (in historic climate change of the arctic) and his PhD came to an end, then we moved here for his post-doc. It’s on a TWP and LMIA excempt. And he doesn’t lecture or anything. He just does research. We were having a look and it seems to assume if you’re doing a post-doc that you’re teaching as well.
We played around with a few options as it’s all in climate change research- so we looked up things like climatology etc in the NOC and not quite everything in the bulletpoints seemed to be bang on the money!
For what we were looking at it almost seemed as though he was between several different NOC codes- plus point is he’s full time as well (more than 30 hours a week) and has been the whole time.

Mine is easy enough because I’m a retail manager so figured NOC code 0621 made sense as I do everything that’s outlined. (Also full time: the +30 hours a week it wants)

I’ve done another check over the points and they seem to make sense- (this following copy and paste job is from the assumption that I don’t do the ECA or English tests)
  • Age = 85
  • Level of education = 140
  • Study in Canada = undefined
  • Official Languages = 128
    • First Official Language = 128
    • Second Official Language = 0
  • Canadian work experience = 46
Subtotal - Core/Human capital factors = 399

Spouse factors

• Level of education = 0
  • First Official Languages = 0
  • Canadian work experience = 7
Subtotal - Spouse factors = 7

Skill transferability factors

Education

• A) Official Language proficiency and education = 50
  • B) Canadian work experience and education = 50
Subtotal = 50

Foreign work experience

• A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 0
  • B) Canadian and foreign work experience = 0
Subtotal = 0

Certificate of qualification = 0

Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 50

Comprehensive Ranking System formula

Subtotal Core/Human capital + Spouse factors + Skill transferability = 456

Provincial nomination = 0

Job offer = 50

Study in Canada = 0

Sibling in Canada = 0

French-language skills = 0

Subtotal Additional points = 50

Grand total = 506

I’m going by his NOC skill level being an A (professional). We’ve put that he had no previous experience in the U.K. because at that point he was still doing his PhD rather than working as such (I mean- he was working but all sorts of random things just for a bit of extra money), and that he has 2 years of work experience in that field here because he’s been +30 hours the whole time.

Then for me- I said I had no education- I actually have a 3 year honours degree but I can say I don’t right?! Haha
And also that i haven’t done the English test. Also said I have 2 years of skilled work experience here because I’ve been +30 hours manager the whole time from the first week of March this year.

We dont have any relatives etc etc so I think that’s all right?!?- sorry for the long reply!!

Though would definitely welcome some help figuring out his NOC code! We read 2114- climatologist. But he doesn’t cover all of the things it outlines because of the nature of his research. :-/

Thanks again!!

suzeandmatt Feb 2nd 2019 8:23 pm

Email came through today confirming the work permits have been extended. (Whoop!) Online form was a bit tedious but it was super easy- and it definitely took longer than the 50 days it originally said.
Now I just have to cross everything the paper copy comes in time so I can renew my driving license in time for it running out on my birthday!! Crossing all fingers!