Implications for changing jobs

Old May 11th 2005, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Wookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the rough
Default Implications for changing jobs

Advice sought from others who have been in similar position: -

I applied as a skilled worker in February 2004 (nothing further to add on that at the moment). I'm considering changing jobs and was wondering am I legally obliged to tell the CHC?

I've got all the experience needed for my application and would like to exchange my crappy job for something less soul destroying, yes I do work in IT! I may be losing it in 12 months anyway and wont be qualifying any big pay offs.

I'm concerned that I will have to tell the CHC and if so then I will also need to tell my new employer, for references etc. Not good at interview, not good any at time during your initial employment.

I could go contracting but that has never appealed to me, unless my hand is forced. If I start my new career and leave 2 years down the line then that is my right. After all, we're all expendable!

If my application fails I can make the most of what I've got. If I succeed then I can move on at a time that suits me, with regards to training experience, money etc.

If I am forced to declare my future ambitions at the start (requirement of CHC for my application??) then it feels like I'll be shooting myself in the foot. Just because I play the lottery, don't mean I'm going to win!

Has anyone else faced similar dilemmas?

Thank you

Wayne
Old May 11th 2005, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Implications for changing jobs

Originally Posted by Wookie Wayne

Wayne
Sort of. We applied for immigration to Canada just after I completed my doctorate. I then thought, what do I do now? Get a job which I may not be able to finish? I didn't want to get a bad rep for taking on a postdoc position and not finishing it. In my naivity/wishful thinking I kept telling myself that we'll hear soon, so I'll just fill in my time with temporary stuff and worry about a serious career when we get to Canada. Nearly 18 months on since we sent off the application and we've not heard a thing and I've still haven't got a decent job. Now when I get to Canada, if I don't go into business for myself, abandonning academia, future employers may ask what the hell have I been doing in the interim? SO, to cut it short, maybe you're better changing jobs, at least you'll be happier during the long wait! It may involve sending a little more paper work to CHC but.. Mind you I haven't taken my own advice have I?
Old May 11th 2005, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I'm concerned that I will have to tell the CHC and if so then I will also need to tell my new employer, for references etc.
Why? Just tell CHC you've started a new job but you don't want to ask for a reference in case it would harm your prospects at the company (e.g. if your visa was denied for some reason and it became a long-term job)... if they want a reference before issuing the visa, you can ask for it then.

Certainly the last thing I would do is _not_ tell CHC when you're so close to the end of the process... don't want to screw it up now .
Old May 11th 2005, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wookie Wayne
Advice sought from others who have been in similar position: -

I applied as a skilled worker in February 2004 (nothing further to add on that at the moment). I'm considering changing jobs and was wondering am I legally obliged to tell the CHC?

I've got all the experience needed for my application and would like to exchange my crappy job for something less soul destroying, yes I do work in IT! I may be losing it in 12 months anyway and wont be qualifying any big pay offs.

I'm concerned that I will have to tell the CHC and if so then I will also need to tell my new employer, for references etc. Not good at interview, not good any at time during your initial employment.

I could go contracting but that has never appealed to me, unless my hand is forced. If I start my new career and leave 2 years down the line then that is my right. After all, we're all expendable!

If my application fails I can make the most of what I've got. If I succeed then I can move on at a time that suits me, with regards to training experience, money etc.

If I am forced to declare my future ambitions at the start (requirement of CHC for my application??) then it feels like I'll be shooting myself in the foot. Just because I play the lottery, don't mean I'm going to win!

Thank you

Wayne
Wayne,

I don't think the CHC gives a toss now if you change jobs. All you need worry about is that you had the points in the bag when you applied. Thats what counts. The only thing is you will need to leave your new job when your visa comes through, which is a good thing anyway and will probably happen (applying sods law), but then at least you'll have the bloody visa. If you don't fancy Canada at that stage then you dont have to go! If you want you can wait a year or so.

I buggered off to Dubai during my application, didn't make the slightest difference, oh and we had a baby as well.

Another good thing if CHC contacts your current employer and you've moved on by then, at least you won't be in the position of having to explain youself, like "what the *** you playing at?"

Best thing I consider is just assume at the moment you're not going and change jobs if you feel it is necessary.
Old May 12th 2005, 4:49 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

I changed jobs twice after submitting, as secondary applicant,, both up to better things and let CIC know, helps them with background check. Got references so they helped with clarity of situation, didn't look grim at all. Shows CIC there is flexibility in your career/chosen labour market. Didn't affect PR as we passed IA stage and meds now done. BUT I was secondary not primary appliocant, maybe this may influence differently ? Experts would advise.

Now changing job again cos pi$$ed of with hassles and want a wind down period before leaving UK. Was changing career anyway when in Ccanada as have interest in retraining/new direction.

Just do it !!!

Rich.
Old May 12th 2005, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Wookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the rough

Thank you all for your advice.