Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

immigration - when is the best time to apply???

immigration - when is the best time to apply???

Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

melons888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default immigration - when is the best time to apply???

Hello! we would like to immigrate to canada as a family in 2012 under the skilled worker programme. My husband is currently in an RN Marine Engineer and I am an Auxiliary nurse/ Beauty Therapist for terminally ill patients. We know the processing time can take between 26 - 48months, so when is the best time to apply?? We cannot leave the UK before May 2012, due to my husbands job commitments and we are happy to wait but if the visa is granted early, can we land in Canada and then return to the UK to tie up loose ends?? I would appreciate any advice..x:
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:42 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: immigration - when is the best time to apply???

The best time to ask the question will be when we know the rules (Minister's Instructions) and list of occupations in high demand - both are not published yet.

What you stated about processing time is irrelevant - it may take 12 months, 5 years, 10 years or never be processed.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:54 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: immigration - when is the best time to apply???

Hello, melons888, and welcome to the BE forum.

Originally Posted by melons888
We cannot leave the UK before May 2012, due to my husbands job commitments and we are happy to wait but if the visa is granted early, can we land in Canada and then return to the UK to tie up loose ends??
If you receive a permanent residence (PR) visa, you can "land" in Canada to activate your PR status and then return to the UK to tie up loose ends. But be aware that, if you are to maintain your PR status, you must spend a cumulative total of two years out of any five year period in Canada. For more details, see the Wiki article called Residency Obligations-Canada.

I also suggest you read these Wiki articles:
They will provide you with background information that will help you to understand Andrew Miller's response.
x