Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Immigration -What does Implied status mean

Immigration -What does Implied status mean

Old Nov 30th 2004, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

gsmith1610 will become famous soon enough
Default Immigration -What does Implied status mean

Can anyone explain to me what 'implied status' means, in terms of being a visitor to Canada from the UK.

We have a 12 month visitor record approved when we landed here in Jan 04. We are wanting to extend this for a further 12 months (our PR app is currently in process). We are however, residing in Canada.

We have already applied to Alberta for an extension however we are worried that we may not here back in time for the expiry of our current visa - 25/01/05!

We have spoken to CIC and they confirmed that so long as we are waiting for a decision, we can remain in Canada under our original documents until a decision is made. If a decision is made and approved then all well and good, but if a decision is not in favour of our stay, we have to leave.

I would be grateful if someone could confirm this or whether someone has had experience of this.

Many Thanks everyone!
Old Nov 30th 2004, 5:48 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigration -What does Implied status mean

It means that you are in status until decision on your extension application is made.

Originally Posted by gsmith1610
Can anyone explain to me what 'implied status' means, in terms of being a visitor to Canada from the UK.

We have a 12 month visitor record approved when we landed here in Jan 04. We are wanting to extend this for a further 12 months (our PR app is currently in process). We are however, residing in Canada.

We have already applied to Alberta for an extension however we are worried that we may not here back in time for the expiry of our current visa - 25/01/05!

We have spoken to CIC and they confirmed that so long as we are waiting for a decision, we can remain in Canada under our original documents until a decision is made. If a decision is made and approved then all well and good, but if a decision is not in favour of our stay, we have to leave.

I would be grateful if someone could confirm this or whether someone has had experience of this.

Many Thanks everyone!
Old Nov 30th 2004, 5:54 pm
Happy Canadian PR

ozinca will become famous soon enoughozinca will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gsmith1610

Many Thanks everyone!

You have been given the correct information. The same thing happened to me. I was concerned that my visitor visa status would expire before I received the extension. 'Implied status' means that you can legally stay in Canada until a decision is made to extend your visitor status. In the end, I did not need 'implied status' as my extension arrived 4 days before the old one expired. I too am applying for PR (family class - common law) and my file is in process in Buffalo.

Don't worry, if you have applied for visitor visa extension in plenty of time, have adhered to the conditions of your visitor visa and mentioned your current PR application 'in process', then you should be fine.

Good luck,
Ozinca
Old Nov 30th 2004, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

spas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I don't have exactly the same excperience that you have as I'm not form the UK. But I had been in Canada as a student and as a foreign worker. I can explain to you wthat implied status means.

When you apply for a renewal your status continues being what it was before you apply (in your case visitor) until they finish processing your application. That's to say when your visa expires and your application to renew it is still in process your implied status is visitor.

So evreything you said is correct and you can stay in Canada until they give you an answer even if your current visa expires.

Hope that helps.

spas
Old Nov 30th 2004, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice everyone.

One thing i cant remember doing is actually stating our File number for the PR application in London!!! I did however, mention on the application form a number of reasons why we wished to stay in canada further. One of these reasons was to investigate opening up a Canadian branch of our business!

Do you know if i can let them know the file number i,e fax or even a letter?

If this is important i might call CIC again and see what they suggest.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 6:01 pm
the-smiths

Yep.....that is true, once your application has been sent off to CIC, and they have received it, you can stay. You will only have to pack your bags, if you didn't provide enough information, or your reason wasn't good enough.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/visitor.html

Don't worry, am sure that shiny paper will arrive soon before xmas, with your extension on it ! LOL

Old Nov 30th 2004, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

What a nice xmas pressie that would be!

Even better would be confirmation of our PR!

Andrew - Dont suppose you know how to contact Vergeville, Alberta, to let them know we have already applied for PR and that application is in Process?

Thanks

Have a fax xmas everyone!