Immigration/visa advice

Old May 19th 2015, 8:52 am
Just Joined

SkierDave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration/visa advice

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some advice on immigration/visas for Canada. I’ve grown tired of being in the UK and wish to move away to Canada (ideally only for a few years, but depending on how that goes, permanent residency is a strong possibility). I know some processes can be long, but I would like to be there by this time next year.

I’ve got my sights set on Vancouver. I have friends over there who I visited about 8 weeks ago. Absolutely loved it there and decided that’s where I wish to be.

A little about me:
I’m a 29 year old male, single, no family in Canada. I have a BEng in Computer Systems Engineering and by trade, I’m a software engineer. I’ve been employed as one in the UK for the past 5 ½ years.
I’ve done a lot of research already (both on this forum and on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada | Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada site). I see 3 possible options which I’ll go through below with any questions I have.

Option 1
I wait till next year’s (2016) IEC’s and apply for the 2 years (next year is my last chance as I turn 30 in October). My only issue with that is, I’m putting all my eggs into one basket. If I managed to get one, fantastic, if not, I almost have to look into the other options but starting from early next year. Also, I believe no one will really know when they will be out. Previous years they seemed to come out around January, but this year they were late (March). Is there any reason to think they’ll be back being released in January again?

Option 2
I go down the EE skilled worker visa route. Although, I’m slightly confused with the points system. According to Six selection factors – Federal skilled workers , it’s out of 100 and you need 67 to be eligible (which I am, I score 72 if I wait till October before I submit - I'll have 6 years experience). But I see other people mention about a higher scoring points system (namely http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...thread-850086/). Which scoring system should be used?
Using the later points system, I score about 425 points (this is assuming I’m able to get the full marks for the language tests (CLB Level 9+)). I’m happy to go down this route, but there’s more hassle and cost to this (paying and taking the language tests, paying for an ECA), and no guarantee that I will get selected and it seems the process could take a while.
I know the EE is new, but has anyone any idea how long the process could take without a job offer (from submitting an EE profile to actually being able to come to Canada (assume you don’t wait after you get the offer)?

Option 3
I get a job and a LMIA (and then possible PR through the skilled worker EE). Couple of questions here:
To get a Temporary Work Permit, do you need a LMIA, or could you get a letter from the company stating that they will hire you when you get into the Country (and get the work permit at a POE)?
The next question is more about advice. It seems the easiest way to get the job offer is to actually go over to the city and apply for jobs while there. Have many people on these forums have done this? How long did it take for you to find a job offer where the company was willing to do a LMIA? Did you have many interviews lined up before you went or did you do everything while out there?
I’m trying to gauge if it’s feasible to head out to Canada for 2-4 weeks and have a high chance of getting a LMIA and a job offer. Any other advice with this route would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also interested to hear views on what people think I should do, which option and why

Many thanks,
Dave
Old May 21st 2015, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Immigration/visa advice

A follow up question, if I was to start the EE skilled worked application, and I hadn't been selected by the time the IEC's came out. If I applied and got an IEC, would my EE application be cancelled? Or would I just end up changing from a working holiday visa to a permanent resident once it was all processed and I've been accepted?

Any advice on the above and original questions would be geatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Old May 21st 2015, 9:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SkierDave
Or would I just end up changing from a working holiday visa to a permanent resident once it was all processed and I've been accepted?
Yep, you'd just 'flagpole' and become a PR. Although do note that without a LMIA, being picked from the EE pool isn't terribly likely, unless you score really well in other areas?

HTH.
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep, you'd just 'flagpole' and become a PR. Although do note that without a LMIA, being picked from the EE pool isn't terribly likely, unless you score really well in other areas?

HTH.
OK Thanks. I score roughly 425 without a job offer, but I hear somewhere over 400, you may have a shot at being invited?

Could someone also explain the BC PNP route please? It sounds like a similar process to the EE route but only for BC? I know BC PNP are currently on hold, but if I had my heart set on BC, would it be better to apply for the BC PNP (when it reopens) or just go down the EE skilled worker route through CIC?