Immigration type query

Old Jul 23rd 2017, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Newby1uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration type query

Hi guys and girls. This is my first post so I will start by saying hello

I've done some research and searched for help/information with regards to a query I've got but couldn't find anything so I've created a new thread.

This is a question for all those more knowledgable than me with visas and immigration type stuff.

I'm a serving police officer and I'm eligible to apply for a permanent residency card with express entry. My National occupational classification is graded B.

My wife is a qualified primary school teacher with a university degree who's NOC classification is graded A.

We both want to work and live in Canada and hope to become citizens eventually.

My question is will I have to do one application for a PR card for both of us (and the kids) or will we each have to do one in order to be able to work in Canada

Any help you guys and girls can offer is greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Newby1uk
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 4:04 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration type query

Originally Posted by Newby1uk
Hi guys and girls. This is my first post so I will start by saying hello

I've done some research and searched for help/information with regards to a query I've got but couldn't find anything so I've created a new thread.

This is a question for all those more knowledgable than me with visas and immigration type stuff.

I'm a serving police officer and I'm eligible to apply for a permanent residency card with express entry. My National occupational classification is graded B.

My wife is a qualified primary school teacher with a university degree who's NOC classification is graded A.

My question is will I have to do one application for a PR card for both of us (and the kids) or will we each have to do one in order to be able to work in Canada

Any help you guys and girls can offer is greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Newby1uk
Are you aware eligibility to apply for Express Entry with 67 points or more is only the first stage and no guarantee of permanent residency? Have you assessed your CRS score, which is the next stage? I don't know the link I'm afraid.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 4:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Are you aware eligibility to apply for Express Entry with 67 points or more is only the first stage and no guarantee of permanent residency? Have you assessed your CRS score, which is the next stage? I don't know the link I'm afraid.
Thanks for the reply Rivingtonpike. All feedback is appreciated.

I've looked into the express entry scheme and from my understanding I would go into a pool of applicants and hopefully receive an offer to apply for a permanent resident card based on a points scheme where the higher the points you have the higher up the pool you go? And from there the hard work starts.

My IELTS exam is set for august and I'm just pulling all my qualifications/certificates etc together so I can get them assessed before I commit to completing the application to join the EE scheme.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 4:39 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

This maybe of interest

The definitive guide to Canada's Express Entry - 15 Miles
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Thanks very much! I will have a look at it
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

I'm eligible to apply for a permanent residency card with express entry. My National occupational classification is graded B.

You apply for Permanent Residency, which is a status. Holders of PR status are able to apply for a PR card, which is indicative of holding PR status, but is neither necessary (you can be a PR without a PR card), nor demonstrative (you can hold a PR card but no longer be a PR).

You don't say what your points score is - is it over 440? (the current level) Or at least 415? (the lowest it's ever gone). You can assess yourself at Entry criteria and the Comprehensive Ranking System.

If one of you is drawn from the pool and able to apply, the rest of the family will be included on that single application as dependents.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 6:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
You apply for Permanent Residency, which is a status. Holders of PR status are able to apply for a PR card, which is indicative of holding PR status, but is neither necessary (you can be a PR without a PR card), nor demonstrative (you can hold a PR card but no longer be a PR).

You don't say what your points score is - is it over 440? (the current level) Or at least 415? (the lowest it's ever gone). You can assess yourself at Entry criteria and the Comprehensive Ranking System.

If one of you is drawn from the pool and able to apply, the rest of the family will be included on that single application as dependents.
Thankyou vulcanoid,

Sadly I've just used the points method for the first time and I'm WAY off 415! (around 308) so it looks like that's my dream on hold for the foreseeable.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 7:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou vulcanoid,

Sadly I've just used the points method for the first time and I'm WAY off 415! (around 308) so it looks like that's my dream on hold for the foreseeable.
That's a long way off, are you sure about that? It seems very low for a couple with (presumably) degrees etc. I'd double check that, assuming max points for English. Is it still v low?

If your wife is a teacher then this will be useful reading - Teaching in Canada : British Expat Wiki
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That's a long way off, are you sure about that? It seems very low for a couple with (presumably) degrees etc. I'd double check that, assuming max points for English. Is it still v low?

If your wife is a teacher then this will be useful reading - Teaching in Canada : British Expat Wiki
That was using my own calculations.

When I used a calculator from the website it came back with 389 points however as a certified police officer that could be worth 25 points (if I can get that verified) and I've also got 3 A-levels which maybe worth more points as I only stated 2.

I'm in two minds whether to go for it or not now. It's quite a lot of money to get myself and the other half to do IELT exams at £155 each plus have our educational certificates "converted" at £129 each if I fall under the minimum points level required
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, A levels are only counted as secondary education, so you wouldn't get any extra points for those.

I'm not sure what 25 extra points you're referring to?

If you're scoring 389 then that's more promising but still not enough. Presumably your wife has a degree and PCGE, so what is her score? Might be higher maybe?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Unfortunately, A levels are only counted as secondary education, so you wouldn't get any extra points for those.

I'm not sure what 25 extra points you're referring to?

If you're scoring 389 then that's more promising but still not enough. Presumably your wife has a degree and PCGE, so what is her score? Might be higher maybe?
She does indeed. She has a 2:1 ba hons degree and her PGCE. I'm going to see what score we get with her as the main applicant and see if that makes a difference.

On another note scratch the 25 additional points. It was referring to a certificate of qualification for trade workers which I'm sure won't include me. Frustrating to be so close yet so far but hey ho I will see what I can do
Old Jul 29th 2017, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Farmhand is an unknown quantity at this point

She does indeed. She has a 2:1 ba hons degree and her PGCE. I'm going to see what score we get with her as the main applicant and see if that makes a difference.

On another note scratch the 25 additional points. It was referring to a certificate of qualification for trade workers which I'm sure won't include me. Frustrating to be so close yet so far but hey ho I will see what I can do
If your struggling for points why don't you look into one of the PNP steams.