Immigration Questions

Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

honolulublue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration Questions

Hi everyone,

New to the forum and I have a couple of questions. I am a Canadian living the UK; my partner is a registered nurse and is about to begin the application process for a skilled workers visa so we can return to Canada.

I'm sure this has been asked on here before, but I'm having trouble finding an answer. At what point do we need to provide proof that she has the required £7000? We are only a very small amount from that total, but I don't want to wait the 2 months that it'll take to get the rest in case we miss the boat in terms of visa allocation for NOC code 3152. Can we fill out and submit the forms to get the process moving even though we are only a few hundred pounds short of the required amount?

We are also concerned about any issues that may arise by us filling our the forms on our own and would welcome any advice on reputable Canadian Immigration Lawyers.

The rest of my family is still in Canada and under the criteria laid out in the CIC skilled worker information pack we are common law partners - will my family count towards her point total even though they are not her blood relatives?

We have visited (in person) the relevant Registered Nursing Associations in Alberta and Saskatchewan and have completed their paperwork so she can join the union and (hopefully) get a job offer, but we are keen to get the process started as soon as possible - so we can move out there as fast as possible!

Any information would be greatly appreciated - apologies for such a long winded post!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:16 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Questions

Originally Posted by honolulublue
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and I have a couple of questions. I am a Canadian living the UK; my partner is a registered nurse and is about to begin the application process for a skilled workers visa so we can return to Canada.

I'm sure this has been asked on here before, but I'm having trouble finding an answer. At what point do we need to provide proof that she has the required £7000? We are only a very small amount from that total, but I don't want to wait the 2 months that it'll take to get the rest in case we miss the boat in terms of visa allocation for NOC code 3152. Can we fill out and submit the forms to get the process moving even though we are only a few hundred pounds short of the required amount?

We are also concerned about any issues that may arise by us filling our the forms on our own and would welcome any advice on reputable Canadian Immigration Lawyers.

The rest of my family is still in Canada and under the criteria laid out in the CIC skilled worker information pack we are common law partners - will my family count towards her point total even though they are not her blood relatives?

We have visited (in person) the relevant Registered Nursing Associations in Alberta and Saskatchewan and have completed their paperwork so she can join the union and (hopefully) get a job offer, but we are keen to get the process started as soon as possible - so we can move out there as fast as possible!

Any information would be greatly appreciated - apologies for such a long winded post!
If you have been living together for more than 12 months, and can prove so, why don't you go down the Common Law sponsorship route? Much much simpler.

This route, you don't need to show proof of funds either.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:18 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

If you are common law partners - i.e. you have cohabited for 12 months and can provide evidence to back this up, then forget all about Skilled Worker. You are eligable for Family Class (Spousal) sponsorship which is far quicker (6 months or so for out of Canada applications) and doesn't require you or your partner to meet any financial thresholds.

Read cic.gc.ca and the wiki for more.

EDIT: Dang that monkey is fast.....
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^ What they said.

But if there is a good reason why you're not going down common-law sponsorship route, then the answer to your question is that you have to show proof of funds both when you first apply, and when you land in Canada. And it's more than £7000, for two people it's around $14,000, so about £9k.

Also, your family will count for points, and for recommended immigration consultants, just do a search of the forum and you'll find relevant threads.

Welcome to the forum.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:41 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Dang that monkey is fast.....
You sound like my wife
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

honolulublue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
^^^^ What they said.

But if there is a good reason why you're not going down common-law sponsorship route, then the answer to your question is that you have to show proof of funds both when you first apply, and when you land in Canada. And it's more than £7000, for two people it's around $14,000, so about £9k.

Also, your family will count for points, and for recommended immigration consultants, just do a search of the forum and you'll find relevant threads.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for all the answers!

I didn't think that I would have counted towards the financial threshold given that I am a Canadian Citizen born and bred....

To apply under the common-law sponsorship route would I not need to show that I have arranged employment in Canada so that I can support my partner while she looks for permanent employment?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:07 pm
Beep

To apply under the common-law sponsorship route would I not need to show that I have arranged employment in Canada so that I can support my partner while she looks for permanent employment?
Nope, you just need to include a note with your application stating that you fully intend to return to Canada once the application is successful, etc etc.

Quite simple really. Ours was 1 short paragraph.

You don't need to prove anything other than your relationship.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

jhelumpk is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Immigration Questions

If u have job offer then u dont need to show proof of funds.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...lled/funds.asp
The above page reads:
"You do not have to show that you have these funds if you have arranged employment in Canada."
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think that I would have counted towards the financial threshold given that I am a Canadian Citizen born and bred....
Doh!! Head, wall. Clearly my brain wasn't working very well earlier, of course you only need funds for one person.

Originally Posted by jhelumpk
If u have job offer then u dont need to show proof of funds.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...lled/funds.asp
The above page reads:
"You do not have to show that you have these funds if you have arranged employment in Canada."
Hopefully the OP will go down the spousal sponsorship route anyway, so that won't be required, but even if they did do a FSW application, it's going to take longer to get a job offer and probably not be worth it.

Remember that the job offer has to be approved by HRSDC to count, so that by the time they've found a job offer, sorted out equivalency for nursing qualifications and then waited for the LMO/AEO they'd have had the proof of funds sorted months previously!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:35 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Woah, hold on there, back up just a moment.

You are a Canadian Citizen, Yes?
You have been living with your partner for more than 12 months, Yes?

If so, the go the family sponsorship route. You do not have to meet any financial threshold, simply you have to agree to support the sponsored person for three years so that they won't be eligable for social assistance. (But would be eligable for EI assuming they have enough hours/contribution.)

You don't need a job in Canada, but you do need to have a plan. For myself and the Mrs (who is Canadian) the plan was 'she will return and complete her second degree in Special Education, and the pair of us will look for jobs.' This was more the adequate for CIC.

So, if you can prove the relationship, the go family class. It's quicker, cheaper and less hassle.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:42 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
You sound like my wife
Sounds like a lot of wifes
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:10 pm
Banned

flyingpig is an unknown quantity at this point

I would definitely recommend the common-law sponsorship route. I applied under that class and it took me less than a year to get my PR. I've friends who applied under the Skilled Worker class and it took them 5 years to get the status.

Hope it helps!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 11th 2010 at 1:29 pm. Reason: Link removed as per site rules
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by flyingpig
I would definitely recommend the common-law sponsorship route. I applied under that class and it took me less than a year to get my PR.
It usually only takes 3-4 months for an outland application, much quicker than inland which is what I presume you did?

Originally Posted by flyingpig
I've friends who applied under the Skilled Worker class and it took them 5 years to get the status.
That was many years ago, SW applications now only take around 8 months.