British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Immigration question - can you help me narrow down these options? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/immigration-question-can-you-help-me-narrow-down-these-options-915145/)

ZestyOrange Aug 17th 2018 8:24 pm

Re: Immigration question - can you help me narrow down these options?

Thanks again. Really helpful replies!

ZestyOrange Aug 18th 2018 12:19 am

Hi! Hoping I can ask another quick, related question since you've been so helpful ...

As you know, the CRS tool for Express Entry shows we should qualify (I appreciate that it's only a guide), so we submitted our forms an hour ago and have already been declined - the problem is that the CRS score breakdown we got back shows no scores .... none at all.

The page seems to suggest we should be seeing an overall score and score breakdown - but all the scores are blank and there seems to be no-one we can contact about it. Have you heard of this happening before? I've tried checking it in different browsers. Seemed to be a very quick response and unusual to give absolutely no indication what area we are supposedly failing in.
Here's a screenshot:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...c575be49ca.png

No scores given at all - is that usual? Looks like there should be a breakdown

christmasoompa Aug 18th 2018 1:02 am

It’s usual as you don’t qualify, so points aren’t relevant.

Do do you have the ECA? That’s mandatory so without it you’re not eligible to enter the pool.

Siouxie Aug 18th 2018 1:08 am

As has been explained before upthread, when using the CRS tool, you have to 'assume' you have your ECA, you have top points for your IELTS and that you have sufficient funds. Without putting those down you will not get any breakdown on points because you won't qualify... and when submitting an EE profile, you have to actually have GOT your ECE results, IELTS scores etc... or you won't qualify (or get any breakdown).

Once you have worked out your 'virtual score' and determined that you are in with at least a chance of getting an invite (and it's always worth it if you are relatively close, as you are) then it's time to go through with getting IELTS tests done, ECA's assessed and your documentation gathered, ready to submit an EE profile. Good luck - hope it works out ok for you!

:)

Edited for the typo! :)

ZestyOrange Aug 18th 2018 8:33 am

Ah yes, apologies, so much info and so many acronyms to learn - I overlooked that bit!
I figured the ECAs, medical, police checks etc would only be needed once confirmed eligible, not before.

Okay, so once we have IELTS & ECAs we're good to apply? (edit: I see there's mention of ECE and ECA above - just heading off to look for a glossary!)

crofty82 Aug 18th 2018 8:46 am

Yes, but before you pay for the IELTS and ECA you need to use the CRS tool to find out what your points will be, and unless they’re in the region of 440 or above it may not be worth it.

Your IELTS scores and ECA result will only be estimates of course but at least it gives you an idea.

christmasoompa Aug 18th 2018 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by ZestyOrange (Post 12550364)
Ah yes, apologies, so much info and so many acronyms to learn - I overlooked that bit!
I figured the ECAs, medical, police checks etc would only be needed once confirmed eligible, not before.

Okay, so once we have IELTS & ECAs we're good to apply? (edit: I see there's mention of ECE and ECA above - just heading off to look for a glossary!)

I think it's a typo in Siouxie's post, it's an ECA you need (Educational Credential Assessment), but the Wiki does have a good list of abbreviations if you're not sure of anything.

You don't need medical or police certs until you actually apply for PR once being selected from the pool, but you do need your ECA and IELTS - otherwise, your points can't be calculated accurately.

If you reckon you'll score 432 as you've stated above, then you're not likely to get an ITA anytime soon but may just be in with a chance. So personally I'd apply anyway, and then job hunt in the interim to hopefully boost your score in case you don't get an ITA. But as mentioned, if an upcoming birthday will mean points drop further, then you may decide not to bother paying for the ECA now and just try and go over on a TWP/PNP instead.

Siouxie Aug 18th 2018 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12550478)
I think it's a typo in Siouxie's post, it's an ECA you need (Educational Credential Assessment), but the Wiki does have a good list of abbreviations if you're not sure of anything.

You don't need medical or police certs until you actually apply for PR once being selected from the pool, but you do need your ECA and IELTS - otherwise, your points can't be calculated accurately.

If you reckon you'll score 432 as you've stated above, then you're not likely to get an ITA anytime soon but may just be in with a chance. So personally I'd apply anyway, and then job hunt in the interim to hopefully boost your score in case you don't get an ITA. But as mentioned, if an upcoming birthday will mean points drop further, then you may decide not to bother paying for the ECA now and just try and go over on a TWP/PNP instead.

Woops yes it was! Thanks :)