Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Which immigration program will work best (Opinions required)

Which immigration program will work best (Opinions required)

Old Feb 1st 2010, 4:05 pm
Banned

pakilahori81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which immigration program will work best (Opinions required)

Please given your opinions about which immigration program is best for professionals.

Skilled workers and professionalsFor people who want to settle and work in Canada (outside of Quebec)

Quebec-selected skilled workers
For people selected by the Quebec government to settle and work in Quebec

Provincial nominees
One of Canada’s provinces or territories can nominate you to settle and work there

Last edited by pakilahori81; Feb 1st 2010 at 4:46 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which immigration program will work best (Opinions required)

Originally Posted by pakilahori81
Please given your opinions about which immigration program is best for HSMP.

Skilled workers and professionalsFor people who want to settle and work in Canada (outside of Quebec)

Quebec-selected skilled workers
For people selected by the Quebec government to settle and work in Quebec

Provincial nominees
One of Canada’s provinces or territories can nominate you to settle and work there
HSMP is a UK immigration program, is it not?
There is no "best" route. Each option has it's advantages and disadvantages, and the "best" route for you will depend entirely on your own circumstances.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 4:47 pm
Banned

pakilahori81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thx for info...I edited the post.

Any one can tell me what's the difference between these two programs. And which one can be most suitable for iT professionals.

ThanKs
Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Any one can tell me what's the difference between these two programs. And which one can be most suitable for iT professionals.

ThanKs
You mentioned three programs not two. It's here to read:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...lled/index.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/quebec/index.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLish/immigra...cial/index.asp

What more is there to explain? Only you know what is best in your circumstances.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

orange247 has a spectacular aura aboutorange247 has a spectacular aura aboutorange247 has a spectacular aura about

ThanKs
If you are an IT professional how about looking at the IT Workers Program.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/work/special-tech.asp

If you find a job and can shoehorn your skills and job description into the categories listed then it is by far the easiest way in the short-term for IT professionals to enter Canada. No LMO from HRSDC is needed so the process is as fast as you get yourself to a port of entry. You can rack up a couple of years experience, see if you like the place without over-commiting yourself and then apply for PR in the Canadian experiece class or fast-track FSW or PNP whichever suits.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:31 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
HSMP is a UK immigration program, is it not?
Correction, it's a UK immigration program which no longer exists.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:33 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orange247
If you are an IT professional how about looking at the IT Workers Program.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/work/special-tech.asp

If you find a job and can shoehorn your skills and job description into the categories listed then it is by far the easiest way in the short-term for IT professionals to enter Canada. No LMO from HRSDC is needed so the process is as fast as you get yourself to a port of entry. You can rack up a couple of years experience, see if you like the place without over-commiting yourself and then apply for PR in the Canadian experiece class or fast-track FSW or PNP whichever suits.
That is only really for software developers and primarily those in the games industry, it doesn't really apply to people in networking/testing/infrastructure/security/support etc.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

orange247 has a spectacular aura aboutorange247 has a spectacular aura aboutorange247 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
That is only really for software developers and primarily those in the games industry, it doesn't really apply to people in networking/testing/infrastructure/security/support etc.
I'm on the program, but I'm not in the games industry or software development and none of the other people I know on the program are in those fields either.

To say that it is limited to gaming and just software development is narrowing it down just a bit. For example the "Multimedia Software Developer" has skills/software in there that could be attributed to a graphics designer, a dvd designer, a video editor, an animator, etc etc, the list is endless...........and thats only only one category. Weirdly enough the least software-like title Senior Animation Effects Editor, matched my job description exactly and it is the one I come under, again it has nothing to do with gaming or software development.

All I'm saying though is that many of the definitions are broad and if somebody is keen on coming to Canada and a company is keen to hire them and they can prove they have the skills and experience, then a compromise position could be 'made'.

I'm not aware of the OPs skills and he/she may not have those skills/experience listed but to simply brush aside the option for the OP to investigate it further based on your assumption that is 'just' for gamers and software developers is bit silly.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:19 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by orange247
"Multimedia Software Developer" has skills/software in there that could be attributed to a graphics designer, a dvd designer, a video editor, an animator, etc etc, the list is endless...........and thats only only one category.
Admittedly, I'd never really looked into it before, I'd just seen it and it thought that it wasn't for me and shrugged it off, but I think you're right and that annoys me really since the roles you have mentioned there aren't really IT jobs so to speak, they're more graphic design, sound and video engineering etc.

When you look at it from my perspective, it isn't really an IT workers program as much as it is a CAD and multimedia artists-type program.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Admittedly, I'd never really looked into it before, I'd just seen it and it thought that it wasn't for me and shrugged it off, but I think you're right and that annoys me really since the roles you have mentioned there aren't really IT jobs so to speak, they're more graphic design/sound and video engineering etc.
Spot on, you see the HRSDC did not design the program, the titles were designed by some industry representative quango who 'advised' (or lent on, whichever way you look at it) the hrsdc & cic. Some of big players admittedly include Microsoft & EA, both of whom do make games and develop software......however to make games you not only need coders but you need designers, editors, vfx people, database people, sound people blah blah blah........ However its clear that the occupations/skills listed can also be applied to fields other than gaming/software.

Personally I think the IT workers program is reason for the recent film visual effects /animation industry boom in Vancouver and even with the program the talent pool is still not big enough.......
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:01 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I have to say that Canada's reluctance to recruit even the most highly skilled IT engineers in many cases (and I'm not trying to categorise myself there) has always seemed slightly odd to me although they do include IS Managers on the list of FSW 28.

It's a strange system which will often make a 19 year old straight out of high school with one year of experience as an electrician look like more of a potential prospect than the likes of me, and indeed many of the people I know, but Canada needs who it needs I suppose.

I'm not knocking their recruitment of 3D/Multimedia artists by the way, they have done a great job, particularly in the games industry and the film industry in BC like you say, I just think that they could really do with recategorising it slightly as, at the moment, it's slightly misleading.