Immigration Office Answer

Old Dec 29th 2011, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Yam Yam is on a distinguished road
Default Immigration Office Answer

Hi all

I am looking for a 'laymans' answer to a question I posed to London Immigration earlier this month, so if you can help please do!! I did get a response from them but it was very complex and difficult to extract the real info from

I have a skilled worker visa, which includes my wife and child. This visa states I must enter CANADA by April 2012. we have plans to enter in March but only temporarily as we cant make the full on move until later in the year. We recently learned that the perm move later in the year will be with another addition to the family.....yes we are expecting
I wanted to know that as PR in canada (as we will be as we have activated the visa) how do we approach the visa for our extra addition, whilst out of Canada?

Cheers
Old Dec 29th 2011, 8:08 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Office Answer

Life is going to be much simpler if your wife can have the baby in Canada. It will then be a canadian Citizen and entitled to Canadian medicare from birth.

If your baby is born in the UK it will have no status in Canada. Once you have moved to Canada you can sponsor it for permanent residence. In the mentime it can enter Canada with you but, as a visitor, it will not be entitled to healthcare so you will need private insurance.

Caveat: I'm not an expert - this is just what I have gathered from reading other posts.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yam Yam
Hi all

I am looking for a 'laymans' answer to a question I posed to London Immigration earlier this month, so if you can help please do!! I did get a response from them but it was very complex and difficult to extract the real info from

I have a skilled worker visa, which includes my wife and child. This visa states I must enter CANADA by April 2012. we have plans to enter in March but only temporarily as we cant make the full on move until later in the year. We recently learned that the perm move later in the year will be with another addition to the family.....yes we are expecting
I wanted to know that as PR in canada (as we will be as we have activated the visa) how do we approach the visa for our extra addition, whilst out of Canada?

Cheers
You say you have a skilled worker visa this is NOT to be confused with an Immigrant visa for establishing PR status.
Is this a case where you can apply for PR status once you are here working?
Have you actually been approved for PR status and will be landing in March?
The skilled worker visa is confusing me thats why I am asking these questions.
If here on PR status then the birth of the baby is no problem. If not here on PR status then this becomes a different matter.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 3:12 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

As Jonboy said it would be much simpler if you have the baby in Canada. Otherwise you will have to sponsor the child after you enter Canada permanently, assuming that your visa is for permanent residence and not temporary employment. You cannot sponsor the child until you are settled in Canada.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Apologies for the inaccurate info, we are entering in March on a PR visa. My wife is not happy with having baby in CANADA so near to moving there so who am I to argue!
Old Dec 30th 2011, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

cshowell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi YamYam

Can't answer your question but can tell you that the healthcare in Canada is far superior to the UK. If I had a choice, I would have given birth there rather than here without question. The hospitals are clean, the nurses excellent and they have time to talk to patients, it's absolutely fabulous.

I lived in Canada from 2001 - 2003 (when I met my husband and moved back to the UK because he is in the Armed Forces and couldn't up sticks as easily as I could). During the time I was in Canada I had to have major gynae surgery to remove a tumour. I was terrified but it was the best care I had ever received before or since in hospital.

Your wife would be absolutely fine there.

Best wishes

Carolyn
Old Jan 1st 2012, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that my Wife was nicely surprised by your reply.

So with your response in mind if we made it in to Canada Mar 2012 with my Wifes due date being July 10th, how would healthcover for her pregnancy be sorted. I am aware of differences between provinces etc!

I would imagine we would want to get to the hospital sharpish to establish our presence and the impending arrival!!
Old Jan 1st 2012, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Yam Yam
Thanks for that my Wife was nicely surprised by your reply.

So with your response in mind if we made it in to Canada Mar 2012 with my Wifes due date being July 10th, how would healthcover for her pregnancy be sorted. I am aware of differences between provinces etc!

I would imagine we would want to get to the hospital sharpish to establish our presence and the impending arrival!!
Hi Yam Yam

You register for Medicare immediately on arrival. In some provinces you have to wait 3 months before you are eligible for free care, in others it is immediate (as soon as you have made your first payment - it costs about £25 - 30 per person per month (my figures are slightly out of date but in 2003 it was $25 per month in BC) and most employers will either subsidise it or pay it for you. It is not optional, everyone has to pay it by law). You then register with a GP (you can choose whoever you like - they advertise whether they do general medicine or specifics). I found mine in the yellow pages and had a look at several practices before I settled on one I liked. I went specifically for a practice with Chinese doctors who were interested in both Eastern and Western medicine as I have an interest in both. You then make an appointment to go and see them and from there it depends on how the practice works. The GP I was registered with did all the ante-natal care apparently, and then when you went into labour, she came with you to the hospital and was involved in the delivery, which struck me as being pretty fantastic (talk about continuity of care!). Whether this happened with every GP surgery or just the small two woman team I was registered with, I could not tell you. They had photos all over their surgery walls of the mums and babies they had helped (with them smiling too!)

It may (but I don't know) be different if you are pregnant on arrival - the medicare may be free immediately but I don't know. Any internet search may be able to help you with that one.

If you are in Vancouver, she would probably give birth at the Vancouver Women and Childrens Hospital which has a fabulous reputation, but having been in several of the hospitals (I was a bit of a liability on the ski slopes!), they were all of an excellent standard and I would have no hesitation about being looked after in any of them.

I'm sorry I can't help more on the giving birth issue as I had moved back to the UK (when I married my husband who is in the UK Armed Forces) and had my 2 kids here. What I would have done to be able to swap and have them there! I think I would have given my right arm!

Am very happy to talk to your wife about my experience if she needs some reassurance. PM me if she does.

Hope this helps a little!

Best wishes

Carolyn

Last edited by cshowell; Jan 1st 2012 at 9:16 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 8:59 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=cshowell;9814985In some provinces you have to wait 3 months before you are eligible for free care, in others it is immediate (as soon as you have made your first payment - it costs about £25 - 30 per person per month (my figures are slightly out of date but in 223 it was $25 per month in BC) and most employers will either subsidise it or pay it for you. It is not optional, everyone has to pay it by law). You then register with a GP (you can choose whoever you like - they advertise whether they do general medicine or specifics). [/quote]

Some employers may subsidise MSP, but is is by no means most, from my experience, few do. Some have extended health, very mixed, depends on the size of the employer.

MSP in BC is going up as of today. It is $109 for a family of 2. To qualify you have to wait out the month you arrive in BC and the two successive months. New comers insurance is advisable, check out pre-existing coverage though, without it you pay the bill until coverage kicks in.

Finding a GP is not as easy as walking in and registering, few are taking on new patients. Many BC residents have to rely on walk in clinics these days. Some GPs are taking new patients, but few and far between.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
Some employers may subsidise MSP, but is is by no means most, from my experience, few do. Some have extended health, very mixed, depends on the size of the employer.

MSP in BC is going up as of today. It is $109 for a family of 2. To qualify you have to wait out the month you arrive in BC and the two successive months. New comers insurance is advisable, check out pre-existing coverage though, without it you pay the bill until coverage kicks in.

Finding a GP is not as easy as walking in and registering, few are taking on new patients. Many BC residents have to rely on walk in clinics these days. Some GPs are taking new patients, but few and far between.
Hi Aviator

Thanks for the update. I left in 2003 so am rather behind the times. It seems a lot has changed since I left!

Best wishes

Carolyn
Old Jan 1st 2012, 11:07 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cshowell
Hi Aviator

Thanks for the update. I left in 2003 so am rather behind the times. It seems a lot has changed since I left!

Best wishes

Carolyn
Its not really been a lot different since we arrived in the 90s
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
Its not really been a lot different since we arrived in the 90s
Aviator

I am currently trying to persuade my husband to emigrate to Canada (he rather prefers Australia which we are going to have a look round in February). As you are in BC, could you tell me what house prices have been doing over the last year? We have looked at places on the internet which seem very nice but have no view as to whether house prices seem to be going up or down. Are you able to let me know what seems to be happening?

We are also trying to compare the cost of living in different countries. Are you able to tell me how much a litre of milk (2% fat, semi-skimmed) currently costs? We have been looking for an online supermarket to do price comparisons but have not yet found one that equates to Tescos or Asda over here.

I know cost of living is a minor thing, it is quality of life, but my husband wants to go into everything before making any decisions. When I last came to Canada I just got my PR, packed 2 bags and hopped on a place but now we have 2 children under 3, my husband is a little less keen to just do that!

Thanks for your help.

Carolyn

Last edited by cshowell; Jan 2nd 2012 at 8:48 am. Reason: incorrect punctuation
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by cshowell
Aviator

I am currently trying to persuade my husband to emigrate to Canada (he rather prefers Australia which we are going to have a look round in February). As you are in BC, could you tell me what house prices have been doing over the last year? We have looked at places on the internet which seem very nice but have no view as to whether house prices seem to be going up or down. Are you able to let me know what seems to be happening?

We are also trying to compare the cost of living in different countries. Are you able to tell me how much a litre of milk (2% fat, semi-skimmed) currently costs? We have been looking for an online supermarket to do price comparisons but have not yet found one that equates to Tescos or Asda over here.

I know cost of living is a minor thing, it is quality of life, but my husband wants to go into everything before making any decisions. When I last came to Canada I just got my PR, packed 2 bags and hopped on a place but now we have 2 children under 3, my husband is a little less keen to just do that!

Thanks for your help.

Carolyn
Property for the most part seems to be stagnant right now around the Lower Mainland. http://www.vancouversun.com/business...653/story.html

A reasonable time to buy in the local market.

Milk, 4 litres $4.29

Milk price is governed by the marketing board who set prices. This holds for all dairy products, chicken and eggs, cereal crops, lettuce, hot house Tomato, Pepper and cucumber.

When I moved over I looked into nothing to do with cost of living, checked out my licensing requirements, found somewhere to live and got on with it. I had offers in Aus, NZ as well as Canada. Am pleased with my choice.

One of the issues you you to deal with now is the FX. Things seemed a lot better value 20 years ago (#2.25-$2.50 to the GBP), with the FX at $1.55 this week, it makes things appear more expensive if you equate it to GBP. Will it improve in favour of GBP? Maybe this is it now, I have never known it stay this low for this long.

Any immigrants moving to another country would be well advised to stop comparing things to where they came from and accept the new country for what it is and assimilate as quickly as possible.