Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Immigration minister NOT LOOKING TO REDUCE VISA'S FOR 2009!

Immigration minister NOT LOOKING TO REDUCE VISA'S FOR 2009!

Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Immigration minister NOT LOOKING TO REDUCE VISA'S FOR 2009!

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

sorry but just had to balance things as I know the opposite news to this has been posted and it sure must be worrying some BE'ers

Im not saying all is rosey with the Canadian economy but speaking from the frontlines vast amounts of Canada are untouched by world events so far

Im a glass half full type and not a doom and gloomer and so many times over the last year stuff I have read on here has scared,,worried me etc and unecessarrily so....

if i hadnt got my application safely in I would be sick with worry about CHC putting the breaks on having read the other post but the above link gives a different view

besides you would not believe how slow the Canadian government is to act so should they ever decide in the future to reduce visa's it will likely take them until the next milenium anyway
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration minister NOT LOOKING TO REDUCE VISA'S FOR 2009!

ok so I have now read a shed load of news on this story and my conclusions are:
with a caveat that whatever is decided will take an age to implement but you just never know

might be a risk if you are planning on a TWP
it seems that TWP visas might be first for the chop if they do indeed chop anything

If you are lucky enough to have got 90 day 120 day letters or just got PNP nomination then ensure you get your full application in before the end of march

its end of march when they are meeting to discuss what if anything will be done

Just my take on it all
Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

I must say I am starting to feel very dispondent now.

First we apply and watch those behind us in the queue whizz through in two years while people like us are told 'five years - if ever'.

Then they clear the queue behind us and immediately introduce a new procedure. Rather than clear the backlog they start processing the new queue they leapfrog over us and people in front of us are now getting through in months while we just sit here. OK, our queue did move for a couple of months, but that seems to have stalled now that they are processing the new queue. Now this news ...

Don't get me wrong, I wish all those in the 'new queue' great success with their applications, but for the first time in three years since deciding to make the move and living and breathing this situation I am thinking this just 'aint gonna happen for us. Perhaps this just wasn't meant to be.

... and we've run out of oil and i'm bloody freezing!

Last edited by singingringingtree; Feb 12th 2009 at 12:13 am. Reason: spelling!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

If they do decide to reduce the number that they take in this year, it will be interesting if they look at the 38 Occupations and say --we will take so many of them, so many of them etc.. Maybe they do have a quota for IT, Healthcare, Trades etc anyway ? or maybe it is first come first let in--if you pass it all.

JET
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

z030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chumley
ok so I have now read a shed load of news on this story and my conclusions are:
with a caveat that whatever is decided will take an age to implement but you just never know

might be a risk if you are planning on a TWP
it seems that TWP visas might be first for the chop if they do indeed chop anything

If you are lucky enough to have got 90 day 120 day letters or just got PNP nomination then ensure you get your full application in before the end of march

its end of march when they are meeting to discuss what if anything will be done

Just my take on it all
Thanks Chumley, you're a angel...

Good Luck all, kinda sucks!!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

jugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nice

Originally Posted by singingringingtree

First we apply and watch those behind us in the queue whizz through in two years while people like us are told 'five years - if ever'.

Then they clear the queue behind us and immediately introduce a new procedure. Rather than clear the backlog they start processing the new queue they leapfrog over us and people in front of us are now getting through in months while we just sit here. OK, our queue did move for a couple of months, but that seems to have stalled now that they are processing the new queue. Now this news ...

Don't get me wrong, I wish all those in the 'new queue' great success with their applications, but for the first time in three years since deciding to make the move and living and breathing this situation I am thinking this just 'aint gonna happen for us. Perhaps this just wasn't meant to be.

We have had the exact same thoughts!! Sitting back and watching others overtake us in the 'new queue' has made us think whether to withdraw our application and re-apply under the new list as OH's occupation is on there.

The only thing that has kept us going with the original app in the backlog, which made us feel slightly more secure if you could call it that, was the changing of the wording when they issued the new amendments and list from 'visa SHALL be issued' to 'visa MAY be issued', as long as you met the points/funds/qualifications etc... We therefore felt it best to stick with orignal application.

The whole process is one big minefield anyway and sometimes we do sit back and think do we really now want to move and belong to such a country that has acted like this?????? Perhaps the UK does have better morals after all!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

I do feel for you guys who have been waiting for some time. I guess it must feel like an endless journey. Sometimes it is just a case of staying positive and hope that something comes. I guess some of you cant put your life on hold much longer and have either given up or seek another path.

When we read your posts pre list, we questioned is it worth waiting. I then started to look for opportunities which I could maybe get a job and then PNP. I even spoke to the Alberta minister Hector Godreau !!

However, my occupation turned up on the list. Yes luck runs your way in life sometimes. Again I do feel for you guys, as we all have dreams. I wonder now, how many of you guys have yourself or spouse on the List of occupations ? If so is there a process in place to check this.

Keep positive and I hope that many of you will also hear something which will cast away the doubts.

Keep Smiling

JET
Old Feb 13th 2009, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JET747
Again I do feel for you guys, as we all have dreams. I wonder now, how many of you guys have yourself or spouse on the List of occupations ? If so is there a process in place to check this. JET
Funnily enough JET I had assumed that, as a police officer, OH wouldn't be on the new list, but have just picked up on another thread which quotes requirements for 'college instructors' and it quotes police instructors. OH was police instructor at training college for three years and has the required qualifications to boot, so assume his is OK.

I don't suppose we can submit another application without withdrawing the first, so we have decided to wait until the summer and see where the processing of our queue is before we decide what to do.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

This thread seems to squash the idea of cutting visas on the head for the time being:

http://www.muchmormagazine.com/2009/...ion-to-remain/
Old Feb 19th 2009, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

I read this and went to look at Trackitt...things have definitely slowed down since the end of last year when they positively zoomed along, however, Dec 06 and Jan 07 look like they've been sent their letters, so the process only seems to be sliding a month or two for people who applied via the old new route.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

I guess this has been discussed ad infinitum, but I'm guessing there was a speed up last year because there was no list for post Feb 08 applicants, and then the slowdown co-incides with the publication of THE LIST. I reckon things will speed up again soon one they clear the backlog of post FEB 08 applications and filtered out those not on the list. It makes sense for them to focus on processing high demand people first, then work on the pre FEB 08 backlog until it is cleared, then only high demand people will be processed after that. I wouldn't lose heart. It'll spring soon and that letter will landing on your doormat!

Edited to add: I just count myself lucky I applied before FEB 08 as I wouldn't be on THE LIST now...I'm guessing quite a few are in the same position...it's better to be delayed a few months than to be denied altogether!

Last edited by TheBear; Feb 19th 2009 at 6:43 am.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TheBear
I guess this has been discussed ad infinitum, but I'm guessing there was a speed up last year because there was no list for post Feb 08 applicants, and then the slowdown co-incides with the publication of THE LIST. I reckon things will speed up again soon one they clear the backlog of post FEB 08 applications and filtered out those not on the list. It makes sense for them to focus on processing high demand people first, then work on the pre FEB 08 backlog until it is cleared, then only high demand people will be processed after that. I wouldn't lose heart. It'll spring soon and that letter will landing on your doormat!
This would be my guess too.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 8:46 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

Try not to get to despondent, your timeline is still in line with others on the old system. It took us 27 months to get our update letter so hopefully you will get yours towards the end of the year, if not sooner.

It does seem to take 3 full years now from start to finish, I know that they are processing the list at speed but they are also still processing the old system. I see where you are coming from though it would be nice if they treat it as a first come first serve.

good luck