Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Immigration Minister Looking to Reduce Number of PRs Approved This Year

Immigration Minister Looking to Reduce Number of PRs Approved This Year

Old Feb 11th 2009, 6:06 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Minister Looking to Reduce Number of PRs Approved This Year

Originally Posted by Siliconwombat
Just waded through them and couldnt agree more. Does make me slightly concerned, not so much about finding a job but the potential for problems with the locals...
I think in the major cities people will be more tollerant of foreign workers and cultures. If you start heading outwards I suspect it will more likley be a problem, especially in some of the country towns where they are not used to strangers and believe they are "true" Canadians.

As a child I remember immigrating to Australia in the early 1990's just as the then recession hit. We went to Brisbane. My father really struggled to find a job because in hard times it was local jobs for local people, jobs for the boys etc.... After 18 months of doing some mind numbing job he hated, my father eventually blew his top and several months later we were back in the UK. Within a few weeks my father was happy in a new job.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 6:13 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Minister Looking to Reduce Number of PRs Approved This Year

Just waded through them and couldnt agree more. Does make me slightly concerned, not so much about finding a job but the potential for problems with the locals...
Sorry- but you have them the wrong way round.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:29 am
One life, Live it!

Siliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really nice

Well the plan was for rural NS so well have to see what happens!

Geo4 - probably right, Ive heard that they're a friendly lot!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Well the plan was for rural NS so well have to see what happens!

Geo4 - probably right, Ive heard that they're a friendly lot!

you will have absolutely no problems in rural NS
never lived amongst such wonderful welcoming folk
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:05 am
Just Joined

jack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nice
Talking Re: Immigration Minister Looking to Reduce Number of PRs Approved This Year

That doesn't sound too good does it?..... just got my PR card and was planning to go over soon....migh need to rethink that!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light

It is a real worry for all us in the processing queue right now. I just hope and pray all us on here are ok. I really dont want them to make an announcement that puts a stop to all applications now. We are have all been through a lot get to this stage. However the UK government has put a condition on all there jobs lets hope the canadian dont follow suit. fingers crossed.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

according to this nobody should be worried just yet re any reducation in VISA's
Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

Yep those country folk in rural NS are a friendly bunch.

Amongst all of this however you still have to consider that Canada has an aging population and will still need immigrants no matter what. That is very true for NS so wouldn't worry too much yet.

Which way are you planning on getting to NS Siliconwombat?
Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:55 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

They will be stupid to cut the quota because if they want a quick post-recession recovery, they will need a healthy workforce and there's no doubt that Canadians alone are not sufficient in numbers to cater for the recovery. Just to mention here that some European countries are in a deeper and (expected to be) in a much longer recession but I was watching a talk show on a British channel recently and although the audience in the programme were mostly against immigration, MPs both from govt: and opposition were defending it by saying that there's a severe lack of ‘skilled' labour for skilled jobs. One of the MPs clearly said that unskilled British people should not expect the govt: to give them an unfair advantage just for being ‘British' by giving them all the skilled jobs and stop foreign migrants who have valuable skills from making Britain their home.

And I am not saying here that Canada is immune to the global downturn but protecting their financial and economic system from the influence of foreign elements has proved that there country is way more resilient than the rest of the developed world. Yes, one thing which might cause concern for Canada is Obama's profound ‘Buy American' philosophy. After all Canada is one of the biggest exporter to the US!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

Originally Posted by adnan_hsn
After all Canada is one of the biggest exporter to the US!
As they are to here!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:14 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adnan_hsn
They will be stupid to cut the quota because if they want a quick post-recession recovery, they will need a healthy workforce and there's no doubt that Canadians alone are not sufficient in numbers to cater for the recovery. Just to mention here that some European countries are in a deeper and (expected to be) in a much longer recession but I was watching a talk show on a British channel recently and although the audience in the programme were mostly against immigration, MPs both from govt: and opposition were defending it by saying that there's a severe lack of ‘skilled' labour for skilled jobs. One of the MPs clearly said that unskilled British people should not expect the govt: to give them an unfair advantage just for being ‘British' by giving them all the skilled jobs and stop foreign migrants who have valuable skills from making Britain their home.

And I am not saying here that Canada is immune to the global downturn but protecting their financial and economic system from the influence of foreign elements has proved that there country is way more resilient than the rest of the developed world. Yes, one thing which might cause concern for Canada is Obama's profound ‘Buy American' philosophy. After all Canada is one of the biggest exporter to the US!
The financial system in Canada thus far has held up with none of it's banks appearing to be geared up with toxic debt, I am not sure if this is down to sensible management or the fact that Canadian banks are small local players so not big enough to get involved.

I'm glad you are not saying that Canada is immune to the global downturn because all the evidence says Canada is now in recession.

To say the Canadian economic system has been protected from foreign influence is incredibly bold. You only have to look at the effect the collapsing global price of oil is having on Calgary and all the US-owned car manufacturers that are sheding jobs in Ontario. If you look in the "Toronto Star" or "Globe & Mail" website's business sections you will see who is shedding jobs next. The Toronto stock exchange has followed the same pattern as the other 9 bigger exchanges around the world. There is also clear evidence that parts of Canada have got caught up in the global property bubble and are going through sharp corrections aswell.

Seems to be that there is plenty of cause for concern.

I do think that anyone moving to Canada has to look at a number of things more closely given the economic climate and to help ensure they get the optimum out of their immigration. I will be considering moving as little money over to Canada as possible whilst the £ is so weak. I will also be heavily networking for a job with my freinds over there before I head over.

Last edited by JamesM; Feb 12th 2009 at 1:21 am.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
I will be considering moving as little money over to Canada as possible whilst the £ is so weak
Problem is, there's plenty of room for the pound to get weaker; there seems to be general agreement that the British economy is in the worst state of all the major Western nations and the government seem clueless about how to fix it other than throwing money they don't have at failing companies.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:54 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by MarkG
Problem is, there's plenty of room for the pound to get weaker; there seems to be general agreement that the British economy is in the worst state of all the major Western nations and the government seem clueless about how to fix it other than throwing money they don't have at failing companies.
I agree entirely. London is Reykjavic-on-Thames these days.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:01 am
One life, Live it!

Siliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really nice

Originally Posted by deanjp32
Yep those country folk in rural NS are a friendly bunch.

Amongst all of this however you still have to consider that Canada has an aging population and will still need immigrants no matter what. That is very true for NS so wouldn't worry too much yet.

Which way are you planning on getting to NS Siliconwombat?
Thats what I thought but the worries always there!

Were heading out on BUNAC in september and then its a case of see what happens! Hopefully we'll get jobs (were both prepared to do anything!) then CI PNP and PR. Even if we hate it or it all goes wrong weve got nothing to lose at the moment. The only thing is the dog! Even he'll be happy enough with my parents until we know for sure either way!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

We live rural and we are not experiencing any probs like that. You will be fine. You will just need to get involved in rural life and all will be well