Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Immigration Lawyers - can you recomend any?

Wikiposts

Immigration Lawyers - can you recomend any?

Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration Lawyers - can you recomend any?

For a long time I've been trying to work out how exactly I'm going to move to canada more permenantly but the fact of the matter is things arent exactly looking hopeful and although all of you have been very helpful I think I need to sit down with an expert and discuss my options.

Can anyone recomend an imigration lawyer in the UK? or would this be something I have to look into whilst in canada?
Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Lawyers - can you recomend any?

everything you need is on this iste and on the cic site
personally would not touch one with a barge pole the horror stories will make your hair fall out

for one thing half of them do not even understand immigration law

if you are bright enough for canada to want you you are most certainly bright enough to complete your application and gather your evidence

huge luck read the WIKI for starters and take no notice of the doom and gloom merchants
think positIve and persist and to quote the " man of the moment"

YES YOU CAN!!!
Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

forgot to say I dont have points
dont have a job on the list
in fact dont have any job and Im in canada legally for 18 months ( an no im not a spouse or anything)
and im on the last lap of immigration just waiting for med requests so anything is possible if you put your mind to it!!
plus husband had criminal rehab to sort which was simple and no lawyer or advisor needed!!!!
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait so are you going to be in the country permenantly? because honnestly I dont think I can cope with work visa's for very long, it hurts like hell coming back leaving all my friends and my life behind.

Getting a work visa seems unlikely because contracts in my industry rarely last more than three months, to make matters even more complicated companies use a parent company system.

What that basically means is the parent company starts a brand new company everytime it starts a new film, so for example if I worked on back to the future, I would of worked for a company called back to the future productions. When the film finishes then I move to another film and another company.

From what I've read about work visa's, it needs to be atleast a year and changing companies is difficult at best, at worst impossible.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that Chumley has gone down the route of the Nova Scotia CIS - have a look in the Wiki for details if you are interested in living in Nova Scotia.

Otherwise, I don't think you have any other option other than to try and get a work visa, there is no other way. To get PR as a Skilled Worker, via CEC or via a PNP programme you need to be there working, so an immigration lawyer isn't really going to help as they'll just tell you that you have to find a job.

If you haven't already, read this Wiki article which lists each and every way you can get to Canada. See if there are any ways other than getting a job that you could get a visa, but if not then you'll at least know your answer and just have to get job hunting (even if that means doing something that isn't your ideal just to get into the country and to get PR, when you can then do whatever job you like). http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

Good luck.