Immigration Lawyer or not for PR?

Old Sep 25th 2013, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Ameorko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration Lawyer or not for PR?

We have lived in Ontario for just over 5yrs now and are now applying for our permanent residency. My husband would like to hire an immigration lawyer however I think we are very capable of applying ourselves.

If he insists what is the going rate to hire a laywer in the Ottawa area?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 4:06 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Lawyer or not for PR?

Not knowing any specifics about your case it's impossible to say whether or not you should hire someone to help you. Thousands on this forum have done the process themselves (myself included) but without knowing your circumstances, what PR route you're applying under (there are over 50), etc, it's impossible to give you advice.

As for the lawyers, do a search on the forum and you will find lots of recommendations and suggestions.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

We are going down the Experience class or skilled worker route, (will double check with hubby). We are both born and raised in Scotland, have been married for 10yrs, have 3 kids together all under the age of 10yrs, 1 being born in Canada and we never been divorced. My husband has had the same employer since arriving in Canada 5yrs ago. We have had Temp Work Permits since arriving and will continue to apply for them until we have our PR. I myself have had a SOWP for the last 3yrs, however I have not used it yet.

Not sure what other information you would need or if I have given too much as this is all new to us. We are fast learners.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 4:20 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not an expert by any means onthe work permit routes, so someone else will be along shortly to help you out there. In the meantime, though, have a read through the Wiki, it's incredibly helpful and much more clear than CIC's website!
Old Sep 25th 2013, 4:21 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ameorko
We are going down the Experience class or skilled worker route, (will double check with hubby). We are both born and raised in Scotland, have been married for 10yrs, have 3 kids together all under the age of 10yrs, 1 being born in Canada and we never been divorced. My husband has had the same employer since arriving in Canada 5yrs ago. We have had Temp Work Permits since arriving and will continue to apply for them until we have our PR. I myself have had a SOWP for the last 3yrs, however I have not used it yet.

Not sure what other information you would need or if I have given too much as this is all new to us. We are fast learners.
It sounds to me as if all you need is a letter from the employer offering permanent work under appropriate conditions. That and a bit of common sense for form-filling.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks both. We have friends who have successfully received PR cards on their own and my husband does have a lot of common sense along with checking it 3-4times before submitting applications. His employer is very supportive and is encouraging us to get the application sent off asap.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has had the same employer since arriving in Canada 5yrs ago. We have had Temp Work Permits since arriving and will continue to apply for them
Just checking, but you know that there is a time limit of 4 years for most people on TWP's, which started in 2011? So in other words, if that applies to you, get a wriggle on!

Sounds like you have no need to pay a lawyer btw, but the best thing to do is download the forms and see if you think you'd be happy completing them yourself.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

mamtaman is an unknown quantity at this point

The TWFA in Calgary were most helpful when assisting me with my paperwork.
Look them up
Old Sep 26th 2013, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

If I had my way we would have had our PR by now, .
We have a MP in our area who will look through our application before sending it off and have several friends who have just gone through the process. We are going to do the process ourselves. Thanks for the advice and yes we are getting a wriggle on . The LMO process is starting to get longer as well.
Becoming PR will be soo much easier, then we will apply for our Citizenship as soon as we can.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just checking, but you know that there is a time limit of 4 years for most people on TWP's, which started in 2011? So in other words, if that applies to you, get a wriggle on!

Sounds like you have no need to pay a lawyer btw, but the best thing to do is download the forms and see if you think you'd be happy completing them yourself.
Maybe the PNP Ontario(if employer and employee eligible) would be an option, too? No more LMOs and a work permit until a decision on your PR has been made, also a bit less form filling. Though the CEC might be the quickest? When you have decided on the route you want to take I am sure there'll be plenty of people on here that can help.

Btw we did the PNP Ontario (without a lawyer)

Last edited by ninaDGBCA; Sep 26th 2013 at 2:13 am.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that but I don't think we can apply in that category as he is self employed contractor. His employer finds work for him and luckily he has stayed at the same location since we arrived. His boss knows we want to stay in Canada so makes sure he places him in long term projects at this location.

His TWP is due in March and his boss is applying for that very soon, within the next month as he knows the process is taking longer. Once we have the LMO we will do a flag pole trip to get the TWP. Last year we had to wait 3 months before the TWP was in our hands. I prefer the flag pole as we can then renew our OHIP cards faster.

We have our Language tests booked for the end of October. We may be back for more advice! Thanks again!
Old Sep 26th 2013, 3:37 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that but I don't think we can apply in that category as he is self employed contractor. His employer finds work for him and luckily he has stayed at the same location since we arrived. His boss knows we want to stay in Canada so makes sure he places him in long term projects at this location.

His TWP is due in March and his boss is applying for that very soon, within the next month as he knows the process is taking longer. Once we have the LMO we will do a flag pole trip to get the TWP. Last year we had to wait 3 months before the TWP was in our hands. I prefer the flag pole as we can then renew our OHIP cards faster.

We have our Language tests booked for the end of October. We may be back for more advice! Thanks again!
Depending on what it is he does as a contractor (not self employed), you could also look into the FSW Trades http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...plications.asp

Whichever economic stream you decide on, once you have AIP from CIC you can obtain a bridging work permit. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/pe.../permanent.asp

Old Oct 1st 2013, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Jamesdavid3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't use a Lawyer, we are paying ours $2000 and for what hes done its not even quarter of that, save yourself the money.

Last edited by Jamesdavid3; Oct 1st 2013 at 1:58 am.