Immigration Lawyer or Not?

Old Jun 18th 2011, 7:25 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Lawyer or Not?

Hi

Originally Posted by __TJ__
I've been quoted 4 months from job offer to pnp and visa into Canada? Is that over optimistic!
Extremely optimistic, 11 months in London for 80% of applications and 13 months for 80% in Buffalo from receipt of a complete application.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 8:30 pm
tsc
Forum Regular

tsc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

He goes to a Service Canada office, with proof of status, and he will have a SIN in 5 minutes, the card will come in the mail (whenever the strike ends)
Thanks very much PMM
Old Nov 28th 2011, 5:41 pm
tsc
Forum Regular

Hi everyone -

So with our arrival into BC within 3 weeks we are excited! A couple of questions from those that have already 'done the move'

I am Canadian returning to live in Canada having not lived there for 28 years and my husband is British with PPR.

The question is when we arrive do we fill out our paperwork (for our container that we shipped with all our furniture etc) as 'Returning Resident' or New Settler? Obviously we are both ... so help please!

Secondly - taking money into BC - is is best to do a wire transfer (where the fees are higher) or travel with a bankers draft? From what we have read there is no tax but we just have to declare what we bring in... again help please...

Thanks so much

TSC :
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would claim the jointly owned goods under the Settlers category as there are no dollar value restrictions as opposed to the Former Resident category (BTW this is not illegal nor bending rules).
Remember the goods still have to qualify under Settlers effects as per
D2-2-1 in the CBSA D Memorandum
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/d...2-2-1-eng.html
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tsc
Secondly - taking money into BC - is is best to do a wire transfer (where the fees are higher) or travel with a bankers draft? From what we have read there is no tax but we just have to declare what we bring in... again help please...
No tax. You have to declare cash or near cash (including banker's draft) if you have a total of $10,000 or more.

If you are starting with £ and need to end up with $ then using one of the FX companies (a quick search will bring up many recommendations) will be the best value: you will get a better rate and they will send the proceeds to your Canadian bank account.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 7:49 pm
tsc
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
No tax. You have to declare cash or near cash (including banker's draft) if you have a total of $10,000 or more.

If you are starting with £ and need to end up with $ then using one of the FX companies (a quick search will bring up many recommendations) will be the best value: you will get a better rate and they will send the proceeds to your Canadian bank account.
Thanks very much - it is actually from KYD to CAD - so I will have a look - I have never tried FX companies so this will be all new!
Old Nov 28th 2011, 7:53 pm
tsc
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Personally I would claim the jointly owned goods under the Settlers category as there are no dollar value restrictions as opposed to the Former Resident category (BTW this is not illegal nor bending rules).
Remember the goods still have to qualify under Settlers effects as per
D2-2-1 in the CBSA D Memorandum
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/d...2-2-1-eng.html
This link is great - thanks so much for posting it - it has answered a bunch of questions.