Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Immigration Lawyer Catherine Sas- opinions?

Immigration Lawyer Catherine Sas- opinions?

Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Sammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud of
Default Immigration Lawyer Catherine Sas- opinions?

Has anybody used/ heard of her? Do you have any thoughts?

I met her randomly having already decided to move back to the UK because my application seemed useless. She gave me a free consultation and seems to think she'll be able to get me in under the PNP programme. I'm just wondering if she's legit or if she's alll talk and trying to get my money! So hard to tell.

Any opinions or information appreciated!
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Lawyer Catherine Sas- opinions?

If she can get you in, then you can get yourself in, so why not save the cash?! Unless you have complicated circumstances you shouldn't need anybody to do it for you.

Although I should caveat that by saying I have no idea of your circumstances or why you were going back to the UK and weren't eligible for any visa !
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

buzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nice

Explain your circumstances and maybe someone can help/advise
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Sammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud of

OK I'll refer you to this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...worker-827109/

which I started a while ago which kind fo explains the situation but I'll also give a brief summary here:

I've been living in Canada since Sept 2012. Moved on an IEC visa and then renewed it for a second year.

I've worked as a server all this time (my only job, I came here straight after uni so I don't have any other skills/ work experience). In February, I'd been working at my (then) job 9 months so I started to apply for a non-skilled PNP. I eventually was advised by immigration canada not to go ahead with the application because I wasn't earning over the minimum income threshold (because I make most of my money in tips).

I consulted with an immigration lawyer (David Aujla) who told me that my only option would be to go and study on a study permit, then get a post graduate work permit, and in that time try and get a job that qualified under canadian experience class or FSW. However, I can't afford to go to school, so:

My current situation. I have one part-time job which I work ten hours a week. I've been working there over a year.
I have a recently acquired new job, which I started two weeks ago, and work about 22 hours a week (they are both serving jobs). My combined income from these jobs still doesn't cover the minimum income threshold.

My current IEC expires Oct 4th this year, so there is not enough time to fit in the 9 month required period for a PNP.

Catherine Sas advised me that if I get a written job offer for full time restaurant supervisor position from one of my jobs, at at least $12/hour (which would cover the income threshold) and put in a PNP application anyway, even though the paperwork won't be through by the time my visa runs out, i can continue to work on an implied status while the PNP application is in.

She said that the specification of '9 months full time or the equivalent part-time work' means either full time in one job or part time for two jobs (as opposed to, say, 9 months at 30 hours a week or 18 months at 15 hours a week) which technically means that if my part-time job, where I've been for over a year, agree to support my application, then I meet that requirement.

But I'm just wondering if all this advice sounds a bit fishy??
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

I mean in credit to her she seems to be hugely well respected (quick google search will show!) but I can't help but be nervous when there's so much money involved!
Old Jun 21st 2014, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

How much is she charging? Before you make a decision have you fully read the entry level or semi skilled worker under the BC PNP Programme
Welcome BC - Entry Level or Semi-Skilled
Have you contacted the BC PNP? I know they won't do an assessment but they might answer a specific question.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammilc
OK I'll refer you to this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...worker-827109/

which I started a while ago which kind fo explains the situation but I'll also give a brief summary here:

I've been living in Canada since Sept 2012. Moved on an IEC visa and then renewed it for a second year.

I've worked as a server all this time (my only job, I came here straight after uni so I don't have any other skills/ work experience). In February, I'd been working at my (then) job 9 months so I started to apply for a non-skilled PNP. I eventually was advised by immigration canada not to go ahead with the application because I wasn't earning over the minimum income threshold (because I make most of my money in tips).

I consulted with an immigration lawyer (David Aujla) who told me that my only option would be to go and study on a study permit, then get a post graduate work permit, and in that time try and get a job that qualified under canadian experience class or FSW. However, I can't afford to go to school, so:

My current situation. I have one part-time job which I work ten hours a week. I've been working there over a year.
I have a recently acquired new job, which I started two weeks ago, and work about 22 hours a week (they are both serving jobs). My combined income from these jobs still doesn't cover the minimum income threshold.

My current IEC expires Oct 4th this year, so there is not enough time to fit in the 9 month required period for a PNP.

Catherine Sas advised me that if I get a written job offer for full time restaurant supervisor position from one of my jobs, at at least $12/hour (which would cover the income threshold) and put in a PNP application anyway, even though the paperwork won't be through by the time my visa runs out, i can continue to work on an implied status while the PNP application is in.

She said that the specification of '9 months full time or the equivalent part-time work' means either full time in one job or part time for two jobs (as opposed to, say, 9 months at 30 hours a week or 18 months at 15 hours a week) which technically means that if my part-time job, where I've been for over a year, agree to support my application, then I meet that requirement.

But I'm just wondering if all this advice sounds a bit fishy??
I thought you went over this option months ago?
First if you're applying as a food supervisor you are applying via the skilled stream not semi skilled which means there is no requirement for you to have worked 9 months for the employer.
The problem with this option is that if the job offer is not genuine its fraud/misrepresentation. If you do manage to get a supervisor job offer then the problem is convincing the pnp office that you are needed if you don't have at least a years worth of recent supervisor experience.
There is no harm in trying though if you're will pay the application fee. If your employer can give a convincing case then your application could quite likely be approved.
There is no need to pay someone to do this for you though, if you have a job offer do it yourself.

As for working after your IEC has expired then the consensus is that you can not benefit from implied status on the IEC. CBSA seems to care quite a lot about you working without a visa and I know a couple of people who have been caught out at the border with this advise and been sent home with a 6 month visa ban. CIC did not care less and their PR applications went through without any problems however.

I've never heard of the part time equivalent this consultant is talking about, for semi skilled you need to have worked for your employer full time (on average 30 hours a week) but it dosnt matter as like I said above you don't need to have worked for 9 months for your employer to apply via the skilled stream so this sounds like bad advise to me.

Good luck

Last edited by tee1; Jun 21st 2014 at 7:12 am.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 4:49 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tee1
I thought you went over this option months ago?
First if you're applying as a food supervisor you are applying via the skilled stream not semi skilled which means there is no requirement for you to have worked 9 months for the employer.
The problem with this option is that if the job offer is not genuine its fraud/misrepresentation. If you do manage to get a supervisor job offer then the problem is convincing the pnp office that you are needed if you don't have at least a years worth of recent supervisor experience.
There is no harm in trying though if you're will pay the application fee. If your employer can give a convincing case then your application could quite likely be approved.
There is no need to pay someone to do this for you though, if you have a job offer do it yourself.

As for working after your IEC has expired then the consensus is that you can not benefit from implied status on the IEC. CBSA seems to care quite a lot about you working without a visa and I know a couple of people who have been caught out at the border with this advise and been sent home with a 6 month visa ban. CIC did not care less and their PR applications went through without any problems however.

I've never heard of the part time equivalent this consultant is talking about, for semi skilled you need to have worked for your employer full time (on average 30 hours a week) but it dosnt matter as like I said above you don't need to have worked for 9 months for your employer to apply via the skilled stream so this sounds like bad advise to me.

Good luck
+1

Any immigration consultant that tells you that you can continue to work on 'implied status' from an IEC work permit is to be avoided.

Once you obtain PNP nomination you could apply for a TWP, but you can't continue to work on implied status on an IEC.

There are several threads explaining why you can't.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...us-iec-815262/
Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

It definitely isn't a misrepresentation, I approached my employer yesterday to ask if he would consider offering me a full time, permanent, supervisory position. It's only dependent on his answer whether I go through with it. I've been with the company over a year and I have a great relationship with him and the other staff that work there.

At my other job, which I just left, I was technically working as a supervisor. They 'don't believe in titles' as I was told by my employer, so my job title was kind of unexplained, and I was on a server's wage (9/hour) but my actual duties were supervisory (it's actually a big part of why I left- they were taking advantage and paying me shit). I was there for a year. Would this qualify as 'experience' even though I wasn't being paid a market wage? If my old employer was willing to write a letter detailing my duties etc. would it give me more credibility?
Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It definitely isn't a misrepresentation, I approached my employer yesterday to ask if he would consider offering me a full time, permanent, supervisory position. It's only dependent on his answer whether I go through with it. I've been with the company over a year and I have a great relationship with him and the other staff that work there.

At my other job, which I just left, I was technically working as a supervisor. They 'don't believe in titles' as I was told by my employer, so my job title was kind of unexplained, and I was on a server's wage (9/hour) but my actual duties were supervisory (it's actually a big part of why I left- they were taking advantage and paying me shit). I was there for a year. Would this qualify as 'experience' even though I wasn't being paid a market wage? If my old employer was willing to write a letter detailing my duties etc. would it give me more credibility?
You are asking for answers that really can't be given as very few if any posters work for CIC or the BC PNP. Those are the ones who will decide. You could even meet the BC PNP criteria but they or CIC could still refuse you. All you can do is apply and find out and then you will get a definitive answer. as for seeking legal advice that is your choice but you will pay unlike on here the advice is FREE.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have the job offer then I'd say go for it Your wage from your previous job is irrelevant. It the wage for the job offer now that counts and as you know it will need to put you above the low income cut off.
If you had supervisor duties at your old job then make sure you mention them in the resume you submit with your application.
If its relevant your new employer could mention the supervisor skills you gained from the old job and how they/you contribute to their company. If you/the employer are eligible in all other aspects then a strong support letter can win them over. I've always found the BC PNP to be very helpful and in general they seem to want to help employer keep workers if there needed
Old Jun 28th 2014, 2:57 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Technicalities and rhetoric aside, I'd say you're screwed and should be making other plans for your future.

HTDH
Old Jun 28th 2014, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Technicalities and rhetoric aside, I'd say you're screwed and should be making other plans for your future.

HTDH
Eurekakakaka , we agree
Old Oct 27th 2014, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

juliemcmahon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Here is my answer:

1) or IEP holders, you can do an extension of visitor's stay in Canada, but you will not be able to work beyond the expiration of your working holiday visa.

2) BC PNP Skilled Worker Stream specifically says "several years experience" which means you do not submit an application unless you have this experience, which would be a minimum of 2 years. 9 months refers to C & D semi-skilled occupational streams which are not skilled streams.

3) Income threshold of 30 hours a week at $12.00/hr do the math - this doesn't meet the minimum income threshold.

4) Yes, implied status while you await a VISITOR's status extension, not able to work though. And hope for approval, but nothing is guaranteed.

I hope this helps,

Best,

Julie

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 28th 2014 at 7:47 am. Reason: Work info removed
Old Oct 27th 2014, 11:59 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine Sammilk is likely to have packed up his pencils by now. Didn't their visa run out at the beginning of October?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.