British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Immigration Law Firms UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/immigration-law-firms-uk-898147/)

Robg2271 Jun 16th 2017 2:22 pm

Immigration Law Firms UK

Hi.

Can anyone who has made the move from the UK to Canada suggest an Immigration Law firm they used?

I have been looking online and there are so many warnings about scammers and I really don't want to fall into one of their traps.

Sorry if there is already a thread for this but I couldn't find it...

Thanks.

Robert

mikelincs Jun 16th 2017 2:32 pm

Re: Immigration Law Firms UK

Originally Posted by Robg2271 (Post 12274406)
Hi.

Can anyone who has made the move from the UK to Canada suggest an Immigration Law firm they used?

I have been looking online and there are so many warnings about scammers and I really don't want to fall into one of their traps.

Sorry if there is already a thread for this but I couldn't find it...

Thanks.

Robert

Using a migration agent is normally only necessary if you have problems in your past, such as a criminal record, if it's just a normal application then there are very many people on here who will give you all the help you need to fill in the necessary forms etc.

Robg2271 Jun 16th 2017 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12274414)
Using a migration agent is normally only necessary if you have problems in your past, such as a criminal record, if it's just a normal application then there are very many people on here who will give you all the help you need to fill in the necessary forms etc.

Thanks. I don't have any criminal convictions but I thought it would be easier (though very expensive) through an agent. I will look into doing it the way you suggested. Thanks!

christmasoompa Jun 16th 2017 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Robg2271 (Post 12274416)
Thanks. I don't have any criminal convictions but I thought it would be easier (though very expensive) through an agent. I will look into doing it the way you suggested. Thanks!

Definitely not worth it unless you have complicated circumstances, or you just aren't comfortable with filling in forms (i.e. severe dyslexia). Using a consultant will mean you still have to do all the leg work i.e. getting all your employment references, proof of funds, taking the IELTS exam, etc, etc, so most on the forum just do it themselves with the help of the good folks on here.

But your call, if you do decide to use a consultant, then you can search for recommended ones, make sure whoever you use is properly registered. Search

HTH.

dbd33 Jun 16th 2017 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Robg2271 (Post 12274416)

The troublesome part of the application is collecting all the supporting information; transcripts, employment history, police certificates, proof of funds and, if necessary, getting a job to go to. An agent can't do any of that for you so essentially you're paying them for their opinion on the best way to apply, you can certainly get equally qualified opinions here.

What an agent can offer is a sympathetic hearing and a willingness to keep trying to get you in. Asking here risks a definitive response of "no chance, mate, don't waste your application fees".

rodhullsaerial Jun 20th 2017 11:26 pm

I ended up using Brazolots in Hudson, Quebec as i did have previous difficulties due to my son being having Asperger's and ADHD. We did start the process with my wife being the lead candidate with the view of her teaching in Quebec, unfortunately before we put the application in the CIC changed the list of which employment categories they wanted. We thought that was the end of it until our emigration agent looked into it.

They worked out that my trade loosely fitted one of the categories in the new list so we went with that. I did have to sit certain exams both in the UK and Canada but they did get me in.

I cant say i had any bad experiences with them other than they lightened my bank account for me but they did get the desired result. I know you still have to do a lot of the legwork yourself but at the end of the day i paid them for their knowledge and experience which did pay off for me :D

Stinkypup Jun 21st 2017 12:39 am

Originally Posted by rodhullsaerial (Post 12277279)
I ended up using Brazolots in Hudson, Quebec as i did have previous difficulties due to my son being having Asperger's and ADHD. We did start the process with my wife being the lead candidate with the view of her teaching in Quebec, unfortunately before we put the application in the CIC changed the list of which employment categories they wanted. We thought that was the end of it until our emigration agent looked into it.

They worked out that my trade loosely fitted one of the categories in the new list so we went with that. I did have to sit certain exams both in the UK and Canada but they did get me in.

I cant say i had any bad experiences with them other than they lightened my bank account for me but they did get the desired result. I know you still have to do a lot of the legwork yourself but at the end of the day i paid them for their knowledge and experience which did pay off for me :D

Glad it worked out for you- I think that it would be fair to say that they don't otherwise come recommended ... I suppose it is like a life long heavy smoker who lives to 97- a few manage to escape 'unscathed' but they are typically the exception rather than the rule