Immigration Issue

Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:29 am
Just Joined

-pr- is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration Issue

I am an American citizen with no past criminal record, two degrees obtained from college, currently a full time resident at my parents house and I am a free lancer. I dont make much money because I've been trying to find my situation with how I am going to either move to canada or beg my gf to move to the states.

My gf lives in Ottawa and we've been together for 7 months now. The first time I came to Canada i was told I could enter if I stored my personal computer at the local uhaul. This was to ensure the officers I had "ties" back in the states.

I've visted a total of 4-5 more times since that incident while being issued visitor records the first three times. The last two times they didn't issue me the record. In fact the very last time I went they gave me a letter.

Hopefully the above link works.

So I was handed that "form" last time I came. I am extremely worried about trying to cross again to the border b/c its a very long drive and I dont want to gamble my way into canada.

I've called the CBSA headquarter which wasn't too helpful. I guess I dont have enough confidence to try and cross again. I've always been respectful to the officers, never caused an issue, always left when I said I would leave by or when the visitor record told me it was time to leave.

So to sum things up-
My parents support me financially, I resident with them permanently, I have my own car, I've been in canada at least 5 times now and now they're placing more restrictions on me.

Basically I am frustrated with canada's immigrations b/c I am begging to have a life/relationship with my gf but its becoming difficult b/c of the immigrations.

I've been planning a new trip soon... I'd love to spend more time with her up to 3 months.... Any advice to crossing again?

Also... if this isn't too much to put in here...

I've considered the conjugal sponsorship however we have been together only 7 months and not a year- I heard its very hard to get accepted? Is this true?
I feel like... my relationship is not as comfortable as I would like it to be mainly b/c of the long distance relationship due things beyond our control.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:57 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigration Issue

Freaky. In your profile it say you have zero posts.

I'm guessing you might get a response if you post your question in the immigration forum.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Basically I am frustrated with canada's immigrations b/c I am begging to have a life/relationship with my gf but its becoming difficult b/c of the immigrations.
So follow the immigration rules and either get married or get a skilled worker visa. If you want to permanently reside in Canada then you need a permanent resident visa... which is precisely why they said you don't qualify as a visitor.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

RodseyUK will become famous soon enoughRodseyUK will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by -pr-
I am an American citizen with no past criminal record, two degrees obtained from college, currently a full time resident at my parents house and I am a free lancer. I dont make much money because I've been trying to find my situation with how I am going to either move to canada or beg my gf to move to the states.

My gf lives in Ottawa and we've been together for 7 months now. The first time I came to Canada i was told I could enter if I stored my personal computer at the local uhaul. This was to ensure the officers I had "ties" back in the states.

I've visted a total of 4-5 more times since that incident while being issued visitor records the first three times. The last two times they didn't issue me the record. In fact the very last time I went they gave me a letter.

So I was handed that "form" last time I came. I am extremely worried about trying to cross again to the border b/c its a very long drive and I dont want to gamble my way into canada.

I've called the CBSA headquarter which wasn't too helpful. I guess I dont have enough confidence to try and cross again. I've always been respectful to the officers, never caused an issue, always left when I said I would leave by or when the visitor record told me it was time to leave.

So to sum things up-
My parents support me financially, I resident with them permanently, I have my own car, I've been in canada at least 5 times now and now they're placing more restrictions on me.

I've been planning a new trip soon... I'd love to spend more time with her up to 3 months.... Any advice to crossing again?

I've considered the conjugal sponsorship however we have been together only 7 months and not a year- I heard its very hard to get accepted? Is this true?
I feel like... my relationship is not as comfortable as I would like it to be mainly b/c of the long distance relationship due things beyond our control.
Based upon the information requested in the letter and the number/length of visits to Canada I would say that CIC think you are trying to bypass the system and live in Canada without obtaining permanent residence.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Scott66 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RodseyUK
Based upon the information requested in the letter and the number/length of visits to Canada I would say that CIC think you are trying to bypass the system and live in Canada without obtaining permanent residence.

Think you need to edit your link as it's quite annoying coz when you click on it all sorts of gambling pop up's appear...couldn't be bothered to hang aound & wait for them all to load.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scott66
Think you need to edit your link as it's quite annoying coz when you click on it all sorts of gambling pop up's appear...couldn't be bothered to hang aound & wait for them all to load.
I don't see a single one - do you not have a pop-up blocker?

(OP - you can upload images to BE directly if you want)
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

RodseyUK will become famous soon enoughRodseyUK will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Scott66
I didn't post the link so don't blame me.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RodseyUK
I could understand this. But from my points of view... I've been to canada up to 5 times without causing them any trouble. Respected laws. And came back when I promised to.

My points is... they keep letting me in so I can visit my gf. But each time it seems harder and harder. For what reason though?

My post was a concern with that letter. Would a letter from my parents saying I reside here in the states as a full time resident sufficient enough?

What about my business card? Will that help prove I have ties in the state? What about Family?

What are things I should bring to my next crossing?

I am basically laying out on the table in my introduction the situation I am in. I am a free lance not making a whole rack of money, my parents support me financially and support me living at home with them...
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

So to sum things up-

Hey man have you tried this, as a US citizen and your under 30 I believe you could get a 6 month work permit via bunca ( its like an exchange visa, at least this gets you into canada and you can see how your retionship goes with your g.f in the long run , you don’t need a job before applying its an open work permit

Good luck! If you need more help just post man

http://www.bunac.org/usa/workcanada/default.aspx

I know many people who used this program to be with there boyfriends/girlfriends in canada
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by celine_uk
Hey man have you tried this, as a US citizen and your under 30 I believe you could get a 6 month work permit via bunca ( its like an exchange visa, at least this gets you into canada and you can see how your retionship goes with your g.f in the long run , you don’t need a job before applying its an open work permit

I know many people who used this program to be with there boyfriends/girlfriends in canada

O sweet! Some useful info =)

I'll check this out and get back to these boards
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Yano that sounds exactly what I am looking for...

But I read on the site under the "Am I eligible" link it says

" Work Canada eligibility

You must be:

* A US citizen (preferably holding a US passport) aged 18-30 inclusive;

and,

* A full-time student taking at least eight credit hours and enrolled for either Fall 2006 or Spring 2007 at an accredited college or university. Proof of student status must be either an official or unofficial transcript or a signed letter on official stationery from your school.
"

Yea I am not a student
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

My points is... they keep letting me in so I can visit my gf. But each time it seems harder and harder. For what reason though?

Cos every time you visit, the stronger your link with Canada becomes, and the more likely you are to overstay.

My post was a concern with that letter. Would a letter from my parents saying I reside here in the states as a full time resident sufficient enough?

What about my business card? Will that help prove I have ties in the state? What about Family?

What are things I should bring to my next crossing?

I am basically laying out on the table in my introduction the situation I am in. I am a free lance not making a whole rack of money, my parents support me financially and support me living at home with them...
Honesty is the best policy. Car title and insurance might be a more solid link to the US as home. Do you have any utility bills in your name. Could you arrange to do that with your parents? Do you pay them any rent? (Jesus, I hope so!) if so then get a formal receipt for it.

Unfortunatly if CIC are already hassling him about his status, the chances of them granting a 6 month working visa are slim to none, and slim just left town.

MarkG hit the nail on the head, either get married or get a skilled worker visa, or land a job in Canada (less paperwork for a USC). You do seem to want to reside in Canada with your GF, but dont want to play by the rules regarding permanent residency. No wonder CIC are keeping the chain short. What are the chances you gf could join you in the states?

Last edited by iaink; Jan 24th 2007 at 6:18 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

I have a condo waiting for me that my parents bought. I'd pay 300 bucks a month for it... I am thinking about just getting the lease for 6 months under my name so that I can just be with my gf in canada. But i am not in favor of getting the convo for her to move here b/c she has her own place already. I would have to get furniture, move, etc etc. But if I got the condo for the purpose of "ties" then I guess thats my best bet in this situation.

Honestly though, I do want to move to canada. I do want to work in canada. Things are just a mess right now and I am not sure the best way to go about things. But I've always came back to the states. Not because I fear Canadians coming after me. But because I am a law abiding citizen

K, I think I found enough information about what to do about my next crossing.

Thanks for all the information and I am sure I'll be back to hassle everyone here real soon =)
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I would have to get furniture, move, etc etc.

Aw, boo hoo. Wouldnt you have to do that one way or the other anyway. What does she make of all this anyway?

Honestly though, I do want to move to canada. I do want to work in canada.
See, now you see why CIC are giving you the third degree...they were right all along.

Things are just a mess right now and I am not sure the best way to go about things.
Try making a commitment to either living with her permanently, or finding a job in canada that will justify your presence here. Its not difficult, you just have to give up mum and dad providing everything for you and go live in the real world with the rest of us.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Just another thought...

Say I rent the condo which my parents own. I put the name in the agreements and bring it with me through crossing as a tie. Should be a sufficient tie to the states for me to return to.

But seeing that I am a freelancer for work... do you think it would be wise for me to bring my computer with me for a long duration? Seeing a few things- I dont own a laptop, my gf works +8 hours per day 5 days a week...

Any thoughts? Leave the computer behind? Should I get letters from clients saying that I am currently working for them?

I would ideally like to visit my gf for 3 months like I've said. So with what I just said into consideration of this complicated issue... 2 cents for your thoughts please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.