Immigration form help

Old Nov 12th 2014, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Plimjim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration form help

Hi,

My family and I are looking to move to ottawa. I was born in Canada and would like to sponsor my Fiancee her son and my two children.

Is there anyone in the UK who assists people to fill in all the forms?.

Many thanks.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 11:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration form help

You can hire an immigration consultant if you feel you really need the help, expect to pay around £3000. Have a look at the ICCRC website to find somebody who is licensed.

Alternatively, you can ask the good folks of this forum of any questions you're not sure about, although tbh if you download the checklist and the guide it's all fairly self explanatory. If you get started now your wife and her son should have PR towards the end of next year, it's very quick for spousal sponsorship. Do your children have their proof of citizenship or Canadian passports? That's assuming they're Canadian citizens of course.

Unless you have complicated circumstances (criminal record, medical issues etc), then you shouldn't need to pay anybody for assistance. The one thing that you have mentioned that could possibly cause a complication is 'her son' and 'your children' - does she already have permission to remove him from the UK, and do you have permission to remove your children? If not, would their other parents give it fairly easily, or do you think you'll need to go to court? That would be the time to hire a professional, but if you've already got permission then it shouldn't be needed.

HTH, best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 12th 2014 at 11:35 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 12:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You can hire an immigration consultant if you feel you really need the help, expect to pay around £3000. Have a look at the ICCRC website to find somebody who is licensed.

Alternatively, you can ask the good folks of this forum of any questions you're not sure about, although tbh if you download the checklist and the guide it's all fairly self explanatory. If you get started now your wife and her son should have PR towards the end of next year, it's very quick for spousal sponsorship. Do your children have their proof of citizenship or Canadian passports? That's assuming they're Canadian citizens of course.

Unless you have complicated circumstances (criminal record, medical issues etc), then you shouldn't need to pay anybody for assistance. The one thing that you have mentioned that could possibly cause a complication is 'her son' and 'your children' - does she already have permission to remove him from the UK, and do you have permission to remove your children? If not, would their other parents give it fairly easily, or do you think you'll need to go to court? That would be the time to hire a professional, but if you've already got permission then it shouldn't be needed.

HTH, best of luck.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

We have read today that because of being born in Canada myself my children should be entitled to be canadian citizens so we are now going to apply for this.

They are both mine and my wife's children so taking them will not be an issue plus my wife's child from before has never had any contact with his natural father so no issues there either.

It's good to hear that the forms are not as difficult as they look, when we first read them they looked very complex.

We have no criminal records or known medical issues so hopefully things should be straight forward. :tcitizens

Last edited by Plimjim; Nov 13th 2014 at 12:34 am.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 12:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plimjim
We have read today that because of being born in Canada myself my children should be entitled to be canadian ccitizens so we are now going to apply for this.
Do get that started before your spousal sponsorship app, as it can take a lot longer, so you'll need that underway first.

plus my wife's child from before has never had any contact with his natural father so no issues there either.
Not having contact doesn't necessarily mean it's not required I'm afraid, if your wife can't track him down for permission then she'll may still need a court order to remove him from the UK. It's something CIC will require to process any PR app, so she might want to have a consultation with a family law solicitor to see how to proceed.

As for the forms, have another look at them and then feel free to ask on the forums about any questions you don't understand. Searching the forums will often bring up the answer too, as people usually get stuck on the same bits so you may find it's been asked and answered before.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 4:54 am
Just Joined

Do get that started before your spousal sponsorship app, as it can take a lot longer, so you'll need that underway first.

Not having contact doesn't necessarily mean it's not required I'm afraid, if your wife can't track him down for permission then she'll may still need a court order to remove him from the UK. It's something CIC will require to process any PR app, so she might want to have a consultation with a family law solicitor to see how to proceed.

As for the forms, have another look at them and then feel free to ask on the forums about any questions you don't understand. Searching the forums will often bring up the answer too, as people usually get stuck on the same bits so you may find it's been asked and answered before.

HTH, best of luck.
His father is not on his birth certificate. The law changed in 2004 to say that a child may not be taken outside the country for more than 30 days without both parents consent. As he was born before this ( 2001 ) no permission is needed for this luckily, although his father would not care as he is not interested in him. We have tried many times to arrange a meet between them over the last 13 years.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 5:34 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

His father is not on his birth certificate. The law changed in 2004 to say that a child may not be taken outside the country for more than 30 days without both parents consent. As he was born before this ( 2001 ) no permission is needed for this luckily, although his father would not care as he is not interested in him. We have tried many times to arrange a meet between them over the last 13 years.
Without a court order or parental permission, there could be a CBSA issue if coming back into Canada from the US or overseas.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 7:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

UK law isn't relevant though, you're applying for Canadian immigration so their rules apply, and CIC have quite strict requirements. Many forum members have needed a letter of permission even if just returning to Canada after a trip back to the UK without the other parent.

Proof is required for a PR app (it's on the document checklist), so I'd check this with an immigration lawyer.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 13th 2014 at 7:10 am.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

UK law isn't relevant though, you're applying for Canadian immigration so their rules apply, and CIC have quite strict requirements. Many forum members have needed a letter of permission even if just returning to Canada after a trip back to the UK without the other parent.
Yes but if the other parent is not identified on the birth cert and by extension has no legal rights over the child, then why would they need a letter/consent/court order?

I found this on the CIC site (admittedly it's under the "Visit" section but anyway, it might apply here)

Prepare for arrival—Visit Canada

If you are the child's only guardian, you should have documents to show there is no other guardian (for example, a birth certificate that does not identify the father).
Old Nov 13th 2014, 8:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bc2015
Yes but if the other parent is not identified on the birth cert and by extension has no legal rights over the child, then why would they need a letter/consent/court order?

I found this on the CIC site (admittedly it's under the "Visit" section but anyway, it might apply here)

Prepare for arrival—Visit Canada
Thanks for the link. It does seem that if it applies for a visit it should apply in PR cases but to be sure I have just emailed a Canadian immigration lawyer to be sure.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 8:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by bc2015
As I said, the OP needs to consult a lawyer on this IMO. Too many instances of people being made to get court orders even in the same situation on the forum!