Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

immigration consultants/lawyers etc?

immigration consultants/lawyers etc?

Old Dec 18th 2009, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

riccosuabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default immigration consultants/lawyers etc?

ive mentioned in posts before about myself and family moving to calgary/okotoks and have done a bit of research regarding getting a immigration company to help us. now ive heard a lot of people say they aint worth it but everyone ive spoke to has more or less said with my trade (plumber) its a dead cert and they will have us in calgary in less than 12v months but they want a substancial amount of money for there services. so what i wanted to ask is,are they worth it? ive heard of numerous people using them and said that they are soooooooooo worth it and will get you there quick, but then i think if that was the case everyone would use one?? any experience anyone?? dont fancy paying for nothing or something thats not going to benefit
Old Dec 18th 2009, 4:55 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: immigration consultants/lawyers etc?

As a plumber all they will likely do is (best case) get you an a course to get your red seal ticket so you can work here as a licensed plumber, and perhaps arrange some work placements. Ultimately you will pay a percentage on top of the cost of an approved course for that "service".

The job market at the moment is not exactly red hot anyway.

Unless you have some medical or criminal complications where some expert advice might make a critical difference to the outcome, or you are really intimidated by the forms, I dont really think there is much an agency can and will do that you couldnt do yourself with a little homework, but everyone has their own idea of value for money.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 5:23 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
As a plumber all they will likely do is (best case) get you an a course to get your red seal ticket so you can work here as a licensed plumber, and perhaps arrange some work placements. Ultimately you will pay a percentage on top of the cost of an approved course for that "service".

Unless you have some medical or criminal complications where some expert advice might make a critical difference to the outcome, or you are really intimidated by the forms, I dont really think there is much an agency can and will do that you couldnt do yourself with a little homework, but everyone has their own idea of value for money.
Agree with everything that Iain said.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

i have no criminal or medical complications at all and if the job market isnt that hot why are they advertising for plumbers all over canada and it being on "the list"?i dont understand?i only came across the immigration consultant because i put my cv in the calgary herald job section and a plumbing company wanted me to come over and then put me in contact with a consultant company (im starting to think there all scams?)
Old Dec 18th 2009, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Jimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really nice

I'll agree with all that Iaink has said.
Listen carefully- Don't use an immigration advisor/lawyer/consultant !
We paid £6k in 2006 to use Willis Brazolot & Co.
They've done very little for all that money - despite the promises of jobs, recce trips, etc.
We've done all our own legwork and our own research on the subject.
Don't waste your hard earned cash on any of these clowns.
You're gonna need that money in Canada.
Be brave and DIY.
Good luck
This forum is a great source for any info & advice that you'll need.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 6:10 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riccosuabe
i have no criminal or medical complications at all and if the job market isnt that hot why are they advertising for plumbers all over canada and it being on "the list"?i dont understand?i only came across the immigration consultant because i put my cv in the calgary herald job section and a plumbing company wanted me to come over and then put me in contact with a consultant company (im starting to think there all scams?)
No complications is good. There may still be some areas with skills shortages, or perhaps employers not prepared to pay top dollar rates to retain people. Generally the canadian economy is slack though, although for some reason housing in some area is not completely in the crapper.

Do you know if it was a legit company? Were they offering you a firm job, or was it a "give us a call when you get here" type deal??

If it was a real job what is needed is to go down either a provincial nomination process (PNP Alberta), or to apply for a temporary work permit. IIRC both require input from the employer to get a labour market opinion which is required before you can come to the job.

Of course not all the consultants are scams, but be wary of any consultant who is making offers to land you a job. If you find a job first, and that employer has a certain consultant that has helped them out in the past with paperwork then thats a different situation. Of course, there is no obligation to use a consultant at all, and back when I was head hunted to come here my employer paid all the legal fees, so it was their call. If they are expecting you to pay any fees, then its up to you who you employ, if you employ anyone at all...
Old Dec 18th 2009, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

No complications is good. There may still be some areas with skills shortages, or perhaps employers not prepared to pay top dollar rates to retain people. Generally the canadian economy is slack though, although for some reason housing in some area is not completely in the crapper.

Do you know if it was a legit company? Were they offering you a firm job, or was it a "give us a call when you get here" type deal??

If it was a real job what is needed is to go down either a provincial nomination process (PNP Alberta), or to apply for a temporary work permit. IIRC both require input from the employer to get a labour market opinion which is required before you can come to the job.

Of course not all the consultants are scams, but be wary of any consultant who is making offers to land you a job. If you find a job first, and that employer has a certain consultant that has helped them out in the past with paperwork then thats a different situation. Of course, there is no obligation to use a consultant at all, and back when I was head hunted to come here my employer paid all the legal fees, so it was their call. If they are expecting you to pay any fees, then its up to you who you employ, if you employ anyone at all...
thanks,it was a company who said to contact this firm (who shall remain nameless as they use this forum and i dont want them to think im slagging them off when im not) and i believe they deal with this firm.they just said they have visas available and it would be through pnp