Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Immigration 'consultant'/Lawyer for CEC-PR.... worth it or not?

Immigration 'consultant'/Lawyer for CEC-PR.... worth it or not?

Old Apr 25th 2014, 1:49 am
Just Joined

deaney is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Immigration 'consultant'/Lawyer for CEC-PR.... worth it or not?

Evening Everyone,

With the help of the members of this forum I have successfully filled in my CEC paperwork and pending my IELTS language test results I'm ready to submit.

I know this is a tough question, and its a very individual one but I thought I would ask.. do you feel its worth hiring a immigration consultant or lawyer to review my paperwork? I have successfully completed the IEC programs paperwork twice and am very certain I have done everything correctly.

Some friends I've asked have had mixed results, one is paying an immigration lawyer $5,000 and she batted the forms back to him to fill them in, another $3,000 for a lawyer who did pretty much the same.

I've heard that I could pay a 'consultant' around about $300 to check over my forms and ensure everything is correct. Would this be true or false?

Any suggestions or comments are welcome! PS. I'm in the downtown Toronto Area.

Thanks Again! everyone's been a massive help so far.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice
Default Re: Immigration 'consultant'/Lawyer for CEC-PR.... worth it or not?

Honestly, I don't think it's worth it.

If you follow the instructions on the CIC website and double/triple check the checklist and your forms/supporting documents I don't see why you would need a lawyer. If you have any questions you can always ask them here as well!

I just submitted my CEC app with no help from a lawyer, granted I'm only at the AOR stage but if your application is straight forward there's no real reason to spend the extra money!
Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Third6
Honestly, I don't think it's worth it.

If you follow the instructions on the CIC website and double/triple check the checklist and your forms/supporting documents I don't see why you would need a lawyer. If you have any questions you can always ask them here as well!

I just submitted my CEC app with no help from a lawyer, granted I'm only at the AOR stage but if your application is straight forward there's no real reason to spend the extra money!

I agree, no need to spend the money, just ask for help from us on here if you're stuck, so many of the people on here have done this someone's bound to know the answer...
Old Apr 25th 2014, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deaney
Evening Everyone,

With the help of the members of this forum I have successfully filled in my CEC paperwork and pending my IELTS language test results I'm ready to submit.

I know this is a tough question, and its a very individual one but I thought I would ask.. do you feel its worth hiring a immigration consultant or lawyer to review my paperwork? I have successfully completed the IEC programs paperwork twice and am very certain I have done everything correctly.

Some friends I've asked have had mixed results, one is paying an immigration lawyer $5,000 and she batted the forms back to him to fill them in, another $3,000 for a lawyer who did pretty much the same.

I've heard that I could pay a 'consultant' around about $300 to check over my forms and ensure everything is correct. Would this be true or false?

Any suggestions or comments are welcome! PS. I'm in the downtown Toronto Area.

Thanks Again! everyone's been a massive help so far.
I was going to do the same but didn't have time in the end so just sent it, & apparently it is complete & going into processing, yay. If your sure it's right & you don't have a tight deadline to meet you could just send it, if it comes back it's only cost you the postage
Old Apr 25th 2014, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, I managed to get CEC PR and I'm pretty dang stupid. I reckon almost anyone could fill in the forms correctly.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Just posted my application for a family of 5 yesterday,it looked daunting,but was easy.
Like others said there is a downloadable guide(around 100 pages),it is pretty straight forward,deffo not worth paying someone to do.