Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Immigration Consultant fees - surely not?!?!?

Immigration Consultant fees - surely not?!?!?

Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

GMS_AMS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration Consultant fees - surely not?!?!?

$5600CD

So, we had a call last night with an immigration consultant we've heard good things about. Feeling reasonably positive prior to the call - we are a young married couple, decent jobs, savings, no medical issues, or police issues, have over the 67 points required - wanting to apply for FSW PR in May.
The guy (as expected) held his cards close to his chest but gave us a good idea of what his company would do for us....then said $5600CD - WHAT????
Now from what I have read on this forum we were expecting around $2000 up to around $3500CD.
Am I wrong, is $5600CD an acceptable amount to pay???
Thanks so much, G
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:18 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Consultant fees - surely not?!?!?

Originally Posted by GMS_AMS
$5600CD

So, we had a call last night with an immigration consultant we've heard good things about. Feeling reasonably positive prior to the call - we are a young married couple, decent jobs, savings, no medical issues, or police issues, have over the 67 points required - wanting to apply for FSW PR in May.
The guy (as expected) held his cards close to his chest but gave us a good idea of what his company would do for us....then said $5600CD - WHAT????
Now from what I have read on this forum we were expecting around $2000 up to around $3500CD.
Am I wrong, is $5600CD an acceptable amount to pay???
Thanks so much, G
I have seen that amount quoted in £ before, but is there a reason you feel that you need to have a consultant do the application for you?

The application is not hard to do and there are plenty of people who have done it themselves; if you have questions members will be more than happy to offer their help.

Until 'the list' is published, how do you know your occupations will qualify you for FSW in May? Nobody knows yet which occupations will be on it, so the consultant can't guarantee you anything and I wouldn't recommend that you sign up with anyone at the present time.

Perhaps look at these threads for reasons not to:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788178
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786289
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791811
Old Mar 27th 2013, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

WOWZA - in pounds!!! That's crazy money!

We had actually planned on doing it ourselves till we went along to a fair and saw a firm (which turned out to be a very bad one), which lead us onto the one we spoke to last night. Going with an agency was more for peace of mind, guidance, and to know that what we were submitting was as good as it could be really.

Yeh he did mention the occupation list - but was still happy for us to sign up now (which we haven't). He did say though that if we aren't on 'the list' then his company would find another route to go down....but wasn't really convinced.

Thanks so much for those links - will have a wee look now.

G
Old Mar 27th 2013, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the wrong business

Note to myself: qualify as an immigration consultant
Old Mar 27th 2013, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Absolutely ninaDGBCA :-)
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:13 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds pretty expensive...we didn't even pay half that.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

actually thought about doing that but registration fees are high, it would be nice though to fit work around the kids and not the kids around work. Home in the moment anyways.....

I think $5600 is extortionate for the amount of work they have to do. We did the whole process on our own. LMO/TWP/PNP/PR and citizenship next year! Plus building a house and having 3 kids under 5. No wonder I am knackered!
Old Mar 27th 2013, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

taylor26 is an unknown quantity at this point

By going on what you have to offer, I say do it your selfs.

By looking at all the information that is available on the website, it quite straight forward. It was alittle overwhelming for me once the forms had been printed out, but take your time, take it one step at a time.gather all the documents needed, stay o top of it, don't hang around on sending things off.

For that amount of money it really is not worth it.

My 2 cents.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

MrWindUpBird is on a distinguished road

I had a $6000 quote, but that included the CIC fees. I ended up doing it all myself.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

angelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant future

yup,
go it alone youre on here and thats a bigger help then anything you'll pay for. definitely DIY