Wikiposts

Immigration Consultant Companies

Old Jun 16th 2016, 1:48 am
Just Joined

Hoping to become Canadian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration Consultant Companies

Hi,
I'm hoping to relocate to Canada and at a fairly early stage in the research. I have seen there are loads of immigration consultant companies online promising to improve your chances of getting a visa and speeding up the process (for a fee). Has anyone had any experience using such companies? Where they useful? Any you would recommend or avoid? Thanks
Old Jun 16th 2016, 1:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Consultant Companies

Originally Posted by Hoping to become Canadian
Hi,
I'm hoping to relocate to Canada and at a fairly early stage in the research. I have seen there are loads of immigration consultant companies online promising to improve your chances of getting a visa and speeding up the process (for a fee). Has anyone had any experience using such companies? Where they useful? Any you would recommend or avoid? Thanks
Hi, and welcome to BE.

An immigration consultant may be useful in improving your chances in that they'll ensure your application is correct, but they can't speed the process up at all. Tbh, now you've found BE, I don't think you'd need to use one unless you have complicated circumstances i.e. criminal record or health issues. Most people on the forum just do it themselves.

But if you do decide to use one, then a search will reveal a couple of companies that you'd definitely want to avoid, and hopefully some recommendations too.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I'll second Chr'oompa's post and add that if you do decide to use a consultant, make sure the one you choose is a member of the ICCRC*, as well as then doing a search for reviews of their services.

* I wanted to link, but phone is playing dumb today .
Old Jun 16th 2016, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you are looking at PR your chances will depend on how you score in the CRS system. No consultant can improve this score for you so IMO they are charging you a lot of money to do very little.

The only reason to use an immigration attorney (and I have in the past) is if you have unusually circumstances (criminal convictions etc.) or need to be represented on a point of law that is not clear in its meaning. Or of course if someone else is paying (like an employer).
Old Jun 16th 2016, 3:48 am
Just Joined

Thank you all very much for your replies.

I will certainly check out reviews on all the companies I have contacted and will do more research and think hard before signing up with any as they seem to charge a lot (although sure make the process easier, knowing exactly how to fill in all the forms) and I don't have a complicated case and sadly will be paying my own expenses.

I will probably be posting many more questions on here in the coming months, so thank you in advance for your future help too.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 3:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

they seem to charge a lot (although sure make the process easier, knowing exactly how to fill in all the forms)
Tbh, they're really not that complicated! But any questions you do have you can ask on here.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I agree with christmasoompa too that it can be done yourself unless its complicated. I started off thinking I'd need to use a consultant since I didn't know anything about applying for immigration. But finding BE and getting advice from everyone has been really helpful to guide me through the whole process and everyone has been really helpful in helping answer questions I had. I didn't end up needing an immigration consultant. It was a lot of things to fill out and lots to learn and find out about but can be done without a consultant, and saved a lot of money too!
Old Jun 16th 2016, 9:51 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

As already said here, unless you have complicated circumstances (criminal history etc) you will be more than capable of filling the forms out.

Print the forms, get a post-it note pad, read through and stick post-its on the parts you don't understand, and the parts where you need to get extra information/documents. Then just work through it a page at a time, asking in here along the way for the parts you don't understand.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies. All very helpful. Think next step for me anyway is to book an IELTS soon. Will continue research and review which consultation company would use if any,but think will probably try it alone (with this forums assistance).
Old Jun 16th 2016, 8:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for your replies. All very helpful. Think next step for me anyway is to book an IELTS soon. Will continue research and review which consultation company would use if any,but think will probably try it alone (with this forums assistance).
I'm sure you've already done this, but just to mention in case! Before you book an IELTS and get your ECA sorted, do double check that you are scoring enough to get selected and invited to apply for PR - you'll need to be above approx 450-480 as a minimum on the CRS.

Good luck.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm sure you've already done this, but just to mention in case! Before you book an IELTS and get your ECA sorted, do double check that you are scoring enough to get selected and invited to apply for PR - you'll need to be above approx 450-480 as a minimum on the CRS.

Good luck.
How do I check my score myself? I've filled in initial inquiry forms for immigration consultant companies and they said I scored well, but won't get exact figure unless I sign up with them.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 10:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

How do I check my score myself? I've filled in initial inquiry forms for immigration consultant companies and they said I scored well, but won't get exact figure unless I sign up with them.
That's useful of them! Definitely steer clear then, any reputable immi consultant should tell you exactly what you score and qualify for, I've never heard of one withholding info like that unless you pay them. It's not like it's secret info, given that it's all open for anybody to see on the CIC website, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't tell you.

Here you go - Express Entry – Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria

Or here - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) - tool

You'll have to make a couple of assumptions, such as your IELTs score, but as a native speaker you can assume max points, and your education you can guess at as well. It will at least give you a rough score to make sure that you are scoring enough to be in with a chance of PR.

HTH.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That's useful of them! Definitely steer clear then, any reputable immi consultant should tell you exactly what you score and qualify for, I've never heard of one withholding info like that unless you pay them. It's not like it's secret info, given that it's all open for anybody to see on the CIC website, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't tell you.

Here you go - Express Entry – Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria

Or here - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) - tool

You'll have to make a couple of assumptions, such as your IELTs score, but as a native speaker you can assume max points, and your education you can guess at as well. It will at least give you a rough score to make sure that you are scoring enough to be in with a chance of PR.

HTH.
Many thanks. I used the tool and came out with a score of 467 so hopefully that's reasonably positive.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 1:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Many thanks. I used the tool and came out with a score of 467 so hopefully that's reasonably positive.
Yep. It might take a while, but at that level you should definitely get invited to apply for PR, I think about a third of all draws have been at that or lower, so definitely worth applying for that IELTS and ECA!

Good luck.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going be a sad geeky nerd again. Based on draws so far (excluding the initial period of very high scores for the first 5 months) 467 is 1 point below the overall mean score i.e. approx. 50% of draws have been above this score and 50% have been below.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.