Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Immigration complete, Citizenship Complete - Dependant moved out HELP

Wikiposts

Immigration complete, Citizenship Complete - Dependant moved out HELP

Old Dec 11th 2010, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

myzzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Immigration complete, Citizenship Complete - Dependant moved out HELP

In 2003 my daughter and myself immigrated under the family immigration. In 2005 we completed our perm res and In 2009 we both became Canadian citizens. My daughter is now 16 ( 3 months ) almost 17 and decided she did not want to live with us any more. Here in Ontario i guess ( stupid ) its perfectly legal for her to move out at the age of 16 and I cant stop her according to police/school/social services because she is of age to be out on her own.

they say we are not responisble for her if she chooses to leave, as we did not kick her out, she just did not want to follow any house rules ( typical teenagers) and thinks that shes old enough to know better. Anyways.....

My question now is if she decides to get OW/welfare are we finacially responsible for her if she collects OW/welfare, even though she has a home here, there is no abuse and my doors are open to her even though she chooses to live with a girlfriend and I can not force her to come home ( have talked to police, school, OW ect). In all reality we can not run 2 households ( paying our bills and another seperate house because she chooses to leave and i cant stop her) since we came to canada under the family process that states we are liable for 10 years or 22 years of age or since she is now offically and legally a canadian citizen that it no longer applys?

I tried to search but i can not find anything about this. Please any information will help .. thank you

Last edited by myzzy; Dec 11th 2010 at 12:54 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 1:19 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration complete, Citizenship Complete - Dependant moved out HELP

Hi

Originally Posted by myzzy
In 2003 my daughter and myself immigrated under the family immigration. In 2005 we completed our perm res and In 2009 we both became Canadian citizens. My daughter is now 16 ( 3 months ) almost 17 and decided she did not want to live with us any more. Here in Ontario i guess ( stupid ) its perfectly legal for her to move out at the age of 16 and I cant stop her according to police/school/social services because she is of age to be out on her own.

they say we are not responisble for her if she chooses to leave, as we did not kick her out, she just did not want to follow any house rules ( typical teenagers) and thinks that shes old enough to know better. Anyways.....

My question now is if she decides to get OW/welfare are we finacially responsible for her if she collects OW/welfare, even though she has a home here, there is no abuse and my doors are open to her even though she chooses to live with a girlfriend and I can not force her to come home ( have talked to police, school, OW ect). In all reality we can not run 2 households ( paying our bills and another seperate house because she chooses to leave and i cant stop her) since we came to canada under the family process that states we are liable for 10 years or 22 years of age or since she is now offically and legally a canadian citizen that it no longer applys?

I tried to search but i can not find anything about this. Please any information will help .. thank you
1. Assuming your spouse sponsored you s/he is responsible for the daughter for 10 years from the date of "landing" or the age of 25,whichever comes first. Citizenship doesn't remove the obligation.
2. So if your daughter decides to collect "welfare", then the province may, request repayment. If your daughter does collect, your spouse, the sponsor then would be barred from sponsoring anyone else to Canada, unless the welfare amount was paid back. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...asp#sponsoring
Old Dec 11th 2010, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

myzzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigration complete, Citizenship Complete - Dependant moved out HELP

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Assuming your spouse sponsored you s/he is responsible for the daughter for 10 years from the date of "landing" or the age of 25,whichever comes first. Citizenship doesn't remove the obligation.
2. So if your daughter decides to collect "welfare", then the province may, request repayment. If your daughter does collect, your spouse, the sponsor then would be barred from sponsoring anyone else to Canada, unless the welfare amount was paid back. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...asp#sponsoring
Uggg, thank you. at a loss