Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Immigration with a caution, please help!!

Immigration with a caution, please help!!

Old Oct 27th 2014, 3:20 am
Just Joined

sutty4592 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Immigration with a caution, please help!!

I received a caution 3 years ago for battery (lowest form of assault that can be given). I received the caution on a student night after an individual assaulted me. I didn't retaliate at this point as I felt the individual was being childish. However later on in the evening after a few drinks I then saw the individual inappropriately touching my partner. So I then punched the individual once and immediately left the club and went home.

I'm looking to immigrate to Vancouver, BC, Canada in the next 2-3 years so I will of had the caution over 5-6 years at this point.

Can anyone please provide information on the type of police check they would perform whether this is a normal DBS or an Enhance DBS checked?

Whether the caution should be disclosed prior to the application and a letter explaining the situation?

And finally just any general information that may help me with the process of immigration.

Really appreciate the help every
Old Oct 27th 2014, 3:24 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration with a caution, please help!!

Originally Posted by sutty4592
I received a caution 3 years ago for battery (lowest form of assault that can be given). I received the caution on a student night after an individual assaulted me. I didn't retaliate at this point as I felt the individual was being childish. However later on in the evening after a few drinks I then saw the individual inappropriately touching my partner. So I then punched the individual once and immediately left the club and went home.

I'm looking to immigrate to Vancouver, BC, Canada in the next 2-3 years so I will of had the caution over 5-6 years at this point.

Can anyone please provide information on the type of police check they would perform whether this is a normal DBS or an Enhance DBS checked?

Whether the caution should be disclosed prior to the application and a letter explaining the situation?

And finally just any general information that may help me with the process of immigration.

Really appreciate the help every
Welcome to BE. You could start by reading the Wiki section. Fourth tab from the left on the blue bar above. It contains a wealth of information and should answer most of your questions. Do have a good read. Good luck.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 6:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration with a caution, please help!!

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

It's neither. You'd need an ACPO cert - details on the CIC website.

A letter isn't relevant, it sounds as though you'd need criminal rehab to enter Canada (even for just a holiday) - Overcome criminal convictions

You'd disclose the caution as part of your visa app when asked about it, but to be admissible you may need to apply well in advance for rehab (it can take up to a year so do factor that in to your timescales).

As for general immigration advice, start with the Wiki and then once you've had a good read of that do shout with any questions.

Good luck.