Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Immigration agencies or not? Advice needed

Immigration agencies or not? Advice needed

Old Jan 27th 2015, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Jemjem123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration agencies or not? Advice needed

Hello

Me and my husband are just right at the start of our Canada dream. I filled in an assessment form via the Colin Singer immigration website and he has replied saying that I am an ideal candidate for the Canada priority residence programme - I am not sure what to do from here. Is it better to do it all yourself (although we are clueless where to start) or use one of these companies ? Although I would like to use a recommended one, if that's the case.

Also my husbands job, aircraft composites, is the better paid role, so would it make sense to use his job to get into Canada? I have worked in administration in the hospitals for 7 years.

We have looked at some areas in Canada and are interested in the Clalgary and Edmonton cities.

Any help and push in the right direction would be much appreciated. We also have a 10 month old son who would relocate with us.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 10:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration agencies or not? Advice needed

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Jemjem123
I filled in an assessment form via the Colin Singer immigration website and he has replied saying that I am an ideal candidate for the Canada priority residence programme
Is that the actual wording? There is no such thing as 'the Canada priority residence programme', so I'm confused by that, do you know which actual visa route he's proposing for you?

Is it better to do it all yourself (although we are clueless where to start) or use one of these companies ?
The vast majority of people on the forum do it themselves, but if you'd prefer somebody else to do the paperwork for you then go for it. Do just make sure that whoever you use is registered with ICCRC (I believe Colin Singer is btw), and that nobody proposes to charge you anything for job hunting (that's illegal in Canada, they're only allowed to charge you for helping with visa application).

Also my husbands job, aircraft composites, is the better paid role, so would it make sense to use his job to get into Canada? I have worked in administration in the hospitals for 7 years.
It doesn't sound as though your job would qualify you for a visa, but I'd suggest you both look at the Express Entry details on the CIC website and see how you score - if you both do it, then you'll know who is the stronger candidate. You can also then work out if you need a job offer to get a visa or not, and start job hunting. If you do need a job offer, then a consultant is no use to you whatsoever, as the employer has to do the paperwork anyway, so there's really nothing for you to do other than find that job! The Job Hunting section of the Wiki is great if you do need to go down that route.

HTH, good luck.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for the reply. Yes that's exactly what he said.

I have been looking on the CIC website all day, and my occupation is there NOC 1243 skill Type B, medical admin assistant. Do you know if that means I can go through expressed entry ?

Thank you
Old Jan 28th 2015, 3:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the reply. Yes that's exactly what he said.

I have been looking on the CIC website all day, and my occupation is there NOC 1243 skill Type B, medical admin assistant. Do you know if that means I can go through expressed entry ?

Thank you
Only if you have enough points, so you'll need to check that yourself - as mentioned, I'd also check your husband's too. I suspect your husband has much more chance of being selected from the pool as unfortunately your skills aren't really in demand in Canada whereas his may be.

And as you'll have seen from the CIC website, there's no mention of a program by that name on there so goodness only knows what he means! I'd reply and ask him for the actual program name that he's suggesting you apply under (i.e. Express Entry, Provincial Nominee Program etc).

HTH.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

I will ask him actually. Thanks for your replies.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

arife is an unknown quantity at this point

Read this: CanLII - 2014 QCCS 5536 (CanLII)
Old Jan 28th 2015, 6:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by arife
Hi, and welcome to BE.

I will allow this link as it's factual and relevant to the OP. I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience with Mr Singer and had to go to court, but please do join in the forums properly so it doesn't look as though you've come on here just to 'name and shame' him.

Thx.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

What ever the immigration companies say be careful of, they are simply after your money!

I looked at them before I came over, after lots of searching I an employer my self who would support my LMO and TWP.... Admittedly it was a lot of work but it saved me hundreds of pounds and being led along with promises

Good luck
Old Jan 30th 2015, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, I have realised it's impossible to find some one trust worthy! There's lots of job vacancies in my husbands line of work so going to prepare him a canadian resume and go from there! I think the best bet is him trying to get a position. Fingers crossed!
Old Jan 30th 2015, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

Try to contact some companies and then push for a face to face interview..... Come over and meet them , at least you will then know what to expect.

Read the Wiki on this forum, loads of information and people like Oompa have knowledge to help you with questions

Last edited by Aqua; Jan 30th 2015 at 7:42 am.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Please can you tell me where to find the wiki (sorry if I'm being thick) people keep recommending it but I don't know where it is. Thanks
Old Jan 30th 2015, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Here you go....
Category:Canada : British Expat Wiki

Get a coffee and cake, there is lots to read!
Old Jan 30th 2015, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Ha ha - thank you ! I'm starting to realise there's lots of reading with everything! (Better put the corona down)
Old Jan 30th 2015, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Here's the Canadian gov job bank link

Home - Job Bank

A good place to look around
Old Jan 30th 2015, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Mmmmm Corona!

If you come, bring cheese.... Good cheese is hard to get here, so maybe 5 years worth � ����

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.