Wikiposts

Immigrating w/ Step Children

Old Dec 6th 2004, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

bwaymark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigrating w/ Step Children

Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen with an English wife and two English-Step children (and an English born child between us). I was thinking it'd be nice to return to Canada with me wife and children but its all beginning to look a bit complicated right now. Is there anyone who has immgirated to Canada w/ spouse and step children before?

I was kinda thinking that we could land in Canada as visitors then apply from within Canada, but now it seems that if we did this we won't get healthcare and we will have to pay for the step kids' (10 and 12) schooling. Does anyone know if this is true?

It also seems that if we apply for visas etc we could be waiting for up to a year before we can actually immigrate. Does anyone know if this is the case? Can we apply for some sort of temporary visa?

Help!

-Ben.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 8:41 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice
Default Re: Immigrating w/ Step Children

I don't know many of the answers, but, as a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor Mrs bwaymark and the step-bwaymarks. The whole process, once the papers have been submitted to Mississauga, should be completed within 6 months.

The step-children will need to have medicals, and quite possibly permission from the other parent. You and your joint child will be Canadian citizens, so won't need to apply in the same way as the others.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 9:00 pm
the-smiths

You will need your ex-partner's permission, to take the kids out of the country anyway, and until your PR is completed, you won't be eligible for healthcare, and you will have to pay for your kids schooling.

I hope your wife is not one of those BIGOTS back in the UK, that complain about immigrants coming into the country and claiming this and that, because it sounds like she is expecting these benefits too once she gets here?

Even when you get here with a PR, depending on where you end up, there is a three ( 3 ) month wait for healthcare, so you will still need to take a temp health insurance for those kids.

Originally Posted by bwaymark
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen with an English wife and two English-Step children (and an English born child between us). I was thinking it'd be nice to return to Canada with me wife and children but its all beginning to look a bit complicated right now. Is there anyone who has immgirated to Canada w/ spouse and step children before?

I was kinda thinking that we could land in Canada as visitors then apply from within Canada, but now it seems that if we did this we won't get healthcare and we will have to pay for the step kids' (10 and 12) schooling. Does anyone know if this is true?

It also seems that if we apply for visas etc we could be waiting for up to a year before we can actually immigrate. Does anyone know if this is the case? Can we apply for some sort of temporary visa?

Help!

-Ben.

Old Dec 6th 2004, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Not sure if any of you would know the answer to this, would i need somekind of letter from hubby's exwife, even if we are not taking stepdaughter, and no intensions of sponsering her later on, (mother and stepdaughter live in Dubai,) stepdaughter is 18 in April 05 and has always lived with her mother not us. She is not a dependent, so would she still be called to do a medical?
Old Dec 7th 2004, 12:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by the-smiths
I hope your wife is not one of those BIGOTS back in the UK, that complain about immigrants coming into the country and claiming this and that, because it sounds like she is expecting these benefits too once she gets here?
Ya, don't you just hate when people make assumption about you just because of your nationality.... glad you are not like that....
Old Dec 7th 2004, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the answers.... sounds like it will be a bit complicated. Blimey, I thought I'd be able to come home whenever, sounds like I'll have to wait at least six months.... anyone know if moving to Quebec makes it even longer, or is it just another paper to fill in?

wensamjam: as far as I've read so far, you have to mention the step-daughter on the forms, but you don't need a medical... I might be wrong though....

-Ben.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 12:27 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

I know a Canadian woman whose husband has children from a former marriage and they had to get the medicals done, even though the children live in Ireland with her husband's ex-wife. She had her sponsorship application returned and was given 90 days to get the completed set of papers back to Mississauga. Over 30 of those were taken up by CIC Mississauga not posting the letter for a month!
Old Dec 7th 2004, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Hi

we have put her down on forms as non dependent, we haven't been contacted by immigration to say that our file is incomplete, we are now 11 months down line from AOR, but i think they may ask for her to have medical which if she is not coming to canada and not in future then don't see why she should have to have a medical. I have fingers crossed that immigration don't ask for her to have one, as we don't have any contact with stepdaughter or ex, and would not no how to get intouch with them. All very complecated.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

lupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wensamjam
Hi

we have put her down on forms as non dependent, we haven't been contacted by immigration to say that our file is incomplete, we are now 11 months down line from AOR, but i think they may ask for her to have medical which if she is not coming to canada and not in future then don't see why she should have to have a medical. I have fingers crossed that immigration don't ask for her to have one, as we don't have any contact with stepdaughter or ex, and would not no how to get intouch with them. All very complecated.
hey wendy, u should ask jim or andrew about ur problem, they are the experts in this thread.