Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Immigrating to canada, some questions

Wikiposts

Immigrating to canada, some questions

Old Aug 20th 2004, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

mark-r is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigrating to canada, some questions

Hi there, I have a number of questions. I have tried so many times to telephone various high commisions but have had no luck getting hold of someone, i'm keen to make this move and have some questions, i'd love to have some advice.

I'm english, my wife is canadian, we have a daughter (Evelynn, born in canada, UK passport, I think this means Evelynn has dual nationality.

My wife came to england to live with me, but has found it very hard to settle down over here, she has had bad anxiety and went home to canada, I havn't seen my wife or daughter for a while so i've decided to bite the bullet and immigrate so my wife can be happy and get over her anxiety (it's very bad).

My wife will be coming back to England soon to carry on living with me while our application is being processed, i'm guessing it'll take a good 6 / 7 months to process.

Here are my questions! I have downloaded all of the forms for sponsorship and the application itself, along with guides but still need some help.

1) Medical examination - do I need to take one? how do I get this sorted out, with my doctor? does it cost?

2) My wife is with me in England on a marriage visa, she's lived with me for the past year, because she doesn't currently live in canada, will this effect our visa? can she write on the visa that she is a permanent resident of canada? I think I might be getting confused and being a citizen of canada is all that matters for the application regardless to where she has been living recently.

3) How are ontario applications dealt with financially, only i've seen minimum wage / fund information and this is worring because we have been living in england so don't have any jobs in canada, or a home in canada.

The good points are:

a) I have £4000 of UK funds saved up
b) My wifes parents are writing a letter for the application stating that we will always have a place to live if we need it, and that we will be living with them untill we get on our feet
c) I have a number of items from my rented home in england to sell, I will be taking pictures of the rooms we currently stay in to show these items and note that I will be selling most of what is seen in the pictures which will give us more funds
d) I have a job in Canada already! - My employer here in the UK has offered to continue my employment as a web designer and will let me work from home, I should be on about $40,000, I will get this in writing and also get a reference from my boss for our application
e) We have a one year old daughter together, and have been married for a year, we can send pictures of the wedding, pictures of us together and prove we have known each other for the past 2 years.

Do I need to worry about finance in our situation? it's just tanya is a mother, that's been her job! and we've been living in England, the application makes it seem that they expect the sponsor to be living in Canada and earning a wage which isn't the case with us.

5) Do we need a co-signer?

6) Will I need Tanyas parents proof of income / funds if they have said that they will be putting us up for a while?

My plan is to get to canada, buy a car, rent a home within a month, and then start work in our new home, I should be able to get a big enough home and make an office inside.

We both have great legal records, we we're given a uk spouse visa for my wife, but i'm really worried!! I plan on working hard and supporting our family, my wife also plans to go back to work when we move.

Thanks for any help, if someone could answer my questions i'd be very very grateful!!

Thanks,
Mark.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

MissingCanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigrating to canada, some questions

Hi mark, I know how worried you are because we went through about the same thing. Everything in there suggests that you would be a good candidate, but since your wife is sponsoring you, they will probably put the emphasis on her.

The best advice I can give you is when you fill out the application forms together to include everything you have put here, but dont write an essay . The only thing that I dont know about is the marriage visa hurting you. But if she is still a canadian citizen, it should be fine. The only thing is that she is going to have to prove that she will return to canada with you. Maybe letters from prospective employers, property.... anything that ties her to Canada is good. Even your daughters education maybe?

I really sympathise with your wife. I'm going crazy here... Have been in england for 18 months on a working holiday maker and I had enough of this place about 18 months ago. If she needs someone to talk to, I'm here!

The absolute best advice is print out those forms, fill them out 4 or 5 different times and go back to them constantly because they're a bit mind numbing and you tend to miss things.

About the medical, if you get it done in caimbridge, its about £200.00 with the x-ray if I do recall properly (they are cheaper and their waiting times are shorter than london, go to www.cic.gc.ca to get the list of approved practicionners)

You really think that you're going to be spending about $2000 CAD on this application. I see it as worth every penny!

Any questions, please ask. Would be glad to help.

Originally Posted by mark-r
Hi there, I have a number of questions. I have tried so many times to telephone various high commisions but have had no luck getting hold of someone, i'm keen to make this move and have some questions, i'd love to have some advice.

I'm english, my wife is canadian, we have a daughter (Evelynn, born in canada, UK passport, I think this means Evelynn has dual nationality.

My wife came to england to live with me, but has found it very hard to settle down over here, she has had bad anxiety and went home to canada, I havn't seen my wife or daughter for a while so i've decided to bite the bullet and immigrate so my wife can be happy and get over her anxiety (it's very bad).

My wife will be coming back to England soon to carry on living with me while our application is being processed, i'm guessing it'll take a good 6 / 7 months to process.

Here are my questions! I have downloaded all of the forms for sponsorship and the application itself, along with guides but still need some help.

1) Medical examination - do I need to take one? how do I get this sorted out, with my doctor? does it cost?

2) My wife is with me in England on a marriage visa, she's lived with me for the past year, because she doesn't currently live in canada, will this effect our visa? can she write on the visa that she is a permanent resident of canada? I think I might be getting confused and being a citizen of canada is all that matters for the application regardless to where she has been living recently.

3) How are ontario applications dealt with financially, only i've seen minimum wage / fund information and this is worring because we have been living in england so don't have any jobs in canada, or a home in canada.

The good points are:

a) I have £4000 of UK funds saved up
b) My wifes parents are writing a letter for the application stating that we will always have a place to live if we need it, and that we will be living with them untill we get on our feet
c) I have a number of items from my rented home in england to sell, I will be taking pictures of the rooms we currently stay in to show these items and note that I will be selling most of what is seen in the pictures which will give us more funds
d) I have a job in Canada already! - My employer here in the UK has offered to continue my employment as a web designer and will let me work from home, I should be on about $40,000, I will get this in writing and also get a reference from my boss for our application
e) We have a one year old daughter together, and have been married for a year, we can send pictures of the wedding, pictures of us together and prove we have known each other for the past 2 years.

Do I need to worry about finance in our situation? it's just tanya is a mother, that's been her job! and we've been living in England, the application makes it seem that they expect the sponsor to be living in Canada and earning a wage which isn't the case with us.

5) Do we need a co-signer?

6) Will I need Tanyas parents proof of income / funds if they have said that they will be putting us up for a while?

My plan is to get to canada, buy a car, rent a home within a month, and then start work in our new home, I should be able to get a big enough home and make an office inside.

We both have great legal records, we we're given a uk spouse visa for my wife, but i'm really worried!! I plan on working hard and supporting our family, my wife also plans to go back to work when we move.

Thanks for any help, if someone could answer my questions i'd be very very grateful!!

Thanks,
Mark.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

MissingCanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigrating to canada, some questions

PS: there are special forms and questions for canadian citizens living exclusively outside canada. Just print the forms and everything you need to do is there. Again www.cic.gc.ca