Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Immigrating to Canada from Ireland

Wikiposts

Immigrating to Canada from Ireland

Old May 25th 2005, 2:46 am
misty

forde is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigrating to Canada from Ireland

Hi , my wife and I are hoping to immigrate to Canada and we are in the process of filling out the application forms .

I wonder would it be possible of this board could answer a few questions that have arisen while applying for Permanent Residency

(a) I have the following qualifications and was wondering how many points I could get with them

8 years National (Primary) education
5 Years Secondary with Secondary cert
3 years College Diploma in Computer Science

I also have over 15 years of working in a number of IT position ranging from Software Programmer to IT Business Analyst/ Project Leader

(b) I was born in the Rep. of Ireland and have been living here for 25 years, so my First language is English. Do I still need to do an English exam so that my language skills are taken into account, if so, is it difficult to gain enough marks to get the 16 points.

(c) While doing some reading on immigrating to Canada, I came across some exemptions for persons with certain IT skills. I think it mentioned that it only applies to temporary workers, is this summer work, student work e.t.c. Can a temporary work bring their spouses and then apply for permanent residency

Thanks in advance for replies
Old May 25th 2005, 4:40 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrating to Canada from Ireland

Hi

Originally Posted by forde
Hi , my wife and I are hoping to immigrate to Canada and we are in the process of filling out the application forms .

I wonder would it be possible of this board could answer a few questions that have arisen while applying for Permanent Residency

(a) I have the following qualifications and was wondering how many points I could get with them

8 years National (Primary) education
5 Years Secondary with Secondary cert
3 years College Diploma in Computer Science

Probably 20 for education, possibly 22.

I also have over 15 years of working in a number of IT position ranging from Software Programmer to IT Business Analyst/ Project Leader

(b) I was born in the Rep. of Ireland and have been living here for 25 years, so my First language is English. Do I still need to do an English exam so that my language skills are taken into account, if so, is it difficult to gain enough marks to get the 16 points.

Include a letter stating that you grew up in an English speaking household, that your education was all in English and the language of your work is English and then you don't need the IELTS.

(c) While doing some reading on immigrating to Canada, I came across some exemptions for persons with certain IT skills. I think it mentioned that it only applies to temporary workers, is this summer work, student work e.t.c. Can a temporary work bring their spouses and then apply for permanent residency

It only applies to 7 specific jobs in IT. You would have to have a job offer and your skill set must meet the criteria. If you were issued a work permit, and were admitted to Canada for at least 1 year, what you would gain is only the ability to apply to Buffalo as well as London. You would, after 1 year of authorized work in Canada gain 5 points for adapibility. IF you were issued a work permit your spouse could apply for an open work permit.

Thanks in advance for replies
PMM
Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:39 pm
misty

forde is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigrating to Canada from Ireland (FAO PMM)

Hi PMM, must apologise to you, did receive feedback from your good self . Originally when i read the reply all i could see was your signature PMM. But i then saw your reply included as part of my original Query, spotted by Morwenna, thanks Morwenna .

thanks , Forde