Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Immigrating to Canada as a health worker

Immigrating to Canada as a health worker

Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:46 am
Just Joined

nyandubile is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigrating to Canada as a health worker

Hi, I wouldlike to immigrate to Canada as a health care worker. I took the point systems on the skilled worker and scored 67. How long does the whole process take. I am looking into applying for my hubby and son. Thanks.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrating to Canada as a health worker

What capacity of healthcare worker are you and what route are you looking at?

Cap for RN has been reached for this year

If nurse be aware depending on when you did your training will depend whether you meet provincial college of nurses requirements (think of them like the NMC only each province has one) and you will be expected to sit and pass the Canadian nursing exam. You will also be required to pass a medical before being allowed to work in the healthcare setting
Old Sep 27th 2011, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Yes, am an RN, i was wanting to do skilled worker route but now you say the cap has been reached, what a bummer. I graduated this May, 2011.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nyandubile
Yes, am an RN, i was wanting to do skilled worker route but now you say the cap has been reached, what a bummer. I graduated this May, 2011.
Because you graduated this year then you wouldn't have met FSW route as 12 months full time experience is required. Also unless you have clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult you will not meet Provincial College of RN requirements. Canada requires you to be general trained unless RMN and then only a few provinces accept that qualification.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks, I wonder whether my 10 year experience as an LPN will work. I will look into that. Yes i have most of thoese years spent in Paeds and Geriatrics.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:39 am
Account Closed

trevorandjo york is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems the world is your oyster, you could go this year on LPN or wait until next July for RN. 10 to 24 months is the likely waiting time (Flash to bang). The next stage I would suggest, is that you get the IELTS english language cert (General). Valid 2 years, can take months to get a place on the exam, costs £115. Get the tuition books from your local library - Free! This must go with the application.

You will also need, police certs - You and Hubby
Proof of funds about £15k or there abouts
look at CIC website
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...plications.asp

Good luck.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:03 am
Just Joined

What an encouragement. I was looking at the RN cap and it was full for 2011-2012. The LPN one still had a lot of room so i will start working on the LPN and see where it takes me. I will definately work on the English as you mentioned. Thanks a bunch.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:04 am
Account Closed

trevorandjo york is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes, what ever NOC (LPN or RN) you choose, you will have to get your quals assessed and obtain registration, LPN or RN.

Initial paper assessment with either will cost about $600, then you will have tests and the likelyhood of further training (flights back and forth, accn, food). This requirement is not for the application to migrate, it is just the route for registration, which you will need to obtain employment. (can also take 6 months, worth running it concurrently)

In the end it would appear to be worth it though, RN basic salaries are starting at $58k before enhancements and you wil get an annual increment too. Better than the £23k you're getting now.

Just spent 3 intense months working on this, PM me if you want more info.

Also, search the other threads, wiki sites and so on too.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:41 am
Just Joined

Am gonna start working. I wil PM you too now.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nyandubile
Thanks, I wonder whether my 10 year experience as an LPN will work. I will look into that. Yes i have most of thoese years spent in Paeds and Geriatrics.
LPN may work but your transcripts has to show hours in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult not just a case of working in that area it goes on your training. I did EN before I bridged to RN and my transcripts for EN do not show Obstetrics but luckily I did it when I bridged but even then I still had to do a couple of distant learning courses to meet college requirements

Best of luck

Last edited by Silverdragon102; Sep 28th 2011 at 10:52 am.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks, yes i did my LPN the Bridged like you did in a college in USA and my transcripts show Mother-Baby, Pysch, Med Surg. The latter should include adults i assume. Did you have a US license or somewhere. I wonder whether having been to school in US and having their license gives me an upper hand?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

LPN training in Canada is 2 years but I think I have seen US trained LPN meet requirements but not 100% sure. Having a US license makes no difference and I had 2 US licenses as well as a UK one and they just wanted verification from the last US license issued and the UK

A lot will depend on the province you apply to