Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Immigrating to Canada - advice plz!

Wikiposts

Immigrating to Canada - advice plz!

Old Oct 14th 2002, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Liddle^Feesh is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Immigrating to Canada - advice plz!

Hiya!

I'm new to these boards / usenet group, and didn't realise there was a group dedicated to immigration to Canada!

I hope someone can offer some advice:

My wife and I are both currently living in the UK. She holds both British and Canadian nationality, and I am simply British!

Although she has lived in Canada before, it was only during her younger years, and she has had no Canadian work-experience, but undertook about 1 year of her schooling there.

We have both desired to immigrate to Canada ever since we met (4 yrs +) and have been giving it serious thought since our we got married (Jul 20/02).

However - from checking the usenet archives and the CIC website, it appears that I only have 62 points as a "Skilled Independant" (I'm a junior analyst/programmer); and therefore miss out on that class (would have had extra points, but last remaining family in Canada recently died!).

I've heard it is possible for family members to sponsor other members, but this appears to only be for close family - where the CC/PR has to be resident in Canada? Would this mean to immigrate under these conditions my wife would have to be living in Canada to sponsor me? This doesn't seem right.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? What are our options? We would ideally like to move into the BC/Vancouver area as a first choice, with ON/Toronto as a close second.

Cheers,

Michael & Victoria
Old Oct 14th 2002, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Bud4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigrating to Canada - advice plz!

Originally posted by Liddle^Feesh:
Hiya!

I'm new to these boards / usenet group, and didn't realise there was a group dedicated to immigration to Canada!

My wife and I are both currently living in the UK. She holds both British and Canadian nationality, and I am simply British!

Although she has lived in Canada before, it was only during her younger years, and she has had no Canadian work-experience, but undertook about 1 year of her schooling there.

We have both desired to immigrate to Canada ever since we met (4 yrs +) and have been giving it serious thought since our we got married (Jul 20/02).

However - from checking the usenet archives and the CIC website, it appears that I only have 62 points as a "Skilled Independant" (I'm a junior analyst/programmer); and therefore miss out on that class (would have had extra points, but last remaining family in Canada recently died!).

I've heard it is possible for family members to sponsor other members, but this appears to only be for close family - where the CC/PR has to be resident in Canada? Would this mean to immigrate under these conditions my wife would have to be living in Canada to sponsor me? This doesn't seem right.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? What are our options? We would ideally like to move into the BC/Vancouver area as a first choice, with ON/Toronto as a close second.

Cheers,

Michael & Victoria
Michael,

A Canadian Citizen can sponsor spouse from outside of Canada. I don't know if the rule applies to your wife. Please check Sponsorship Guide and also call Canadian Immigration office and check with them.

Guide to Sponsorship

GoodLuck!!

Bud
Old Oct 14th 2002, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Bud4life:
Michael,

A Canadian Citizen can sponsor spouse from outside of Canada. I don't know if the rule applies to your wife. Please check Sponsorship Guide and also call Canadian Immigration office and check with them.

Guide to Sponsorship

GoodLuck!!

Bud
Hi Bud!

Thanks for your quick and helpful reply! That link is absolutely wonderful. Have just read that this looks perfect, and she may fit the category. Am printing it now to read in bed!

You've just made me well happy

Thanks again,

Mike
Old Oct 14th 2002, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Nice to know you are happy now. If you think you, after reading the guide, that you qualify, check this link too. It got all the required Forms and Guide to apply to sponsor spouse.

Guide and Forms

Hope this helps.
GoodLuck

Bud.
Old Oct 15th 2002, 12:07 am
The Wizzard

Just to confirm a Candian Citizen who is residing exclusivly outside Canada
is allowed to sponsor their spouse and/or dependant children.
So you can fill in the forms, get the neccessary documents (enquire at your
local police station about subject access forms for prosecution/conviction
history as soon as you can cos it can take over a month to get) and then
send it all to CPC Mississauga and just sit back and wait.
Your wife will have to show and prove her intention to move back to Canada
as soon as you get the Permanent Resident visa so maybe try and get some
letters or evidence of her looking for a job there or from any family she
may have there if you can to show she intends to move back.
you will get a letter back from missisauga confirming she has been approved
as a sponsor then they send the relevant bits to CHC London who will send
you an AOR to confirm they got the details, then they send you an interview
waiver (usually) and medical forms, do the medical then wait and they will
request yoru passport stampa visa in it and send you all the needed
documents and youa re ready to go.
Whole thing should take say 6-8 months, hopefully faster if they are getting
past their backlogs.
you may want to join the yahoo group called 'britaintocanadaimmigration'
which is just a bunch of people from UK relocating to Canada for various
reasons (family and just indipendant) and so you can pick up handy things
about shipping stuff and all that.

Drew

"Liddle^Feesh" wrote in message
news:443665.1034635407@britishexpats-
.com
    > Originally posted by Bud4life:
    > > Michael,
    > >
    > > A Canadian Citizen can sponsor spouse from outside of Canada. I don't
    > > know if the rule applies to your wife. Please check Sponsorship Guide
    > > and also call Canadian Immigration office and check with them.
    > >
    > >
    > > http://www.ci-
    > > c.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3900E.pdfGuide
     to
    > > Sponsorship
    > >
    > > GoodLuck!!
    > >
    > > Bud
    > Hi Bud!
    > Thanks for your quick and helpful reply! That link is absolutely
    > wonderful. Have just read that this looks perfect, and she may fit the
    > category. Am printing it now to read in bed!
    > You've just made me well happy
    > Thanks again,
    > Mike
    > --
    > Liddle Feesh
    > <"//><
    > (remove UNDERPANTS to reply)
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 15th 2002, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

johnparker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya!
well hello there michael and victoria i dont know if you were aware that the laws have just changed you need to get 75 points to get out to canada now. i am currently looking to emigrate from the uk to canada and i have 69 points to get me up to the 75 i would have to go out there and get a work visa and that would get me an extra 5 points or i have to get a job offer which is 10 points but enable to do that you have to have a visa first. let me just ask has your wife got any family out there at all like brothers, sisters , aunts uncles close relatives as as far as i am aware that she would get 5 points and also someone may be able to sponsor her but that is a big process for this. i know how you must feel we feel exactky the same you want to get in but you cant keep trying we are looking at going to a seminar called four corners in the next few months so we will let you know what it is like give me your email address , they have seminars all over the country and they have a website as well anyway if you want to talk to us email me direct on [email protected]

good luck you can do anything if you want this that badly

kind regards ]

john parker

Cheers,

Michael & Victoria
Old Oct 15th 2002, 6:13 am
Just Joined

Hi Drew and John!

Thank you both for your swift and able replies.

Today while I was at work, my wife called the Canadian embassy(!?) in London and enquired about the immigration process.

I believe that although I am a few points short on the professional independant category (I mean, who _isn't_?) - my wife is Canadian and we should be able to get into Canada that way.

However, there might be a small issue - my wife isn't in a very highly paid job. She works as a professional decorative painter, but isn't well paid. I earn roughly twice her wage; but I'm led to believe (can't find it written down explicitly) that her wage is used to calculate whether we can live in Canada (and she can support me).

Any ideas on the financial side of things?

Cheers,

Mike and Victoria
Old Oct 15th 2002, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Hi Drew and John!

Thank you both for your swift and able replies.

Today while I was at work, my wife called the Canadian embassy(!?) in London and enquired about the immigration process.

I believe that although I am a few points short on the professional independant category (I mean, who _isn't_?) - my wife is Canadian and we should be able to get into Canada that way.

However, there might be a small issue - my wife isn't in a very highly paid job. She works as a professional decorative painter, but isn't well paid. I earn roughly twice her wage; but I'm led to believe (can't find it written down explicitly) that her wage is used to calculate whether we can live in Canada (and she can support me).

Any ideas on the financial side of things?

Cheers,

Mike and Victoria
Mike,

Financial side doesn't matter at all, in case of spouse sponsorship. My sister, who is a Permanent Resident of Canada, came here in July 2001, applied for her husband and she has NO INCOME. Her file was accepted without any trouble. Policy is: LOVE IS ABOVE MONEY

Hope this helps
Bud
Old Oct 16th 2002, 7:15 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Bud4life:

Mike,

Financial side doesn't matter at all, in case of spouse sponsorship. My sister, who is a Permanent Resident of Canada, came here in July 2001, applied for her husband and she has NO INCOME. Her file was accepted without any trouble. Policy is: LOVE IS ABOVE MONEY

Hope this helps
Bud
Hi Bud,

You've just made a cause for celebration in our house

Thanks for the info.

One more thing though - apparantly I have to provide police certificates from each of the countries where I have been for > 6 months...

You see my father was in the forces, and as such I was born in GERMANY - although I was back in england for good by the time I was 13 years old...

Any ideas if I still have to get a police cert - or even _how_ to get one?

I'll make a new thread
Old Oct 16th 2002, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Hi Bud,

Thanks for the info.

One more thing though - apparantly I have to provide police certificates from each of the countries where I have been for > 6 months...

You see my father was in the forces, and as such I was born in GERMANY - although I was back in england for good by the time I was 13 years old...

I'll make a new thread

I am Glad. Anyway, I would still suggest you check everything with immigration office. As for getting the police certificate, I really don't know anything. Sorry Buddy

Bud.
Old Oct 16th 2002, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

bighead is an unknown quantity at this point

only from the places u lived in after u turned 18...

Hi Bud,

Thanks for the info.

I'll make a new thread
Old Oct 16th 2002, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by bighead:
only from the places u lived in after u turned 18...

Brilliant

Filed for a UK Police Check using the form:

http://www.met.police.uk/dataprotect...s/dpa3019b.doc

Cheers,

Mike