IMM5406 Confusion

Old Jan 1st 2008, 11:58 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default IMM5406 Confusion

Hi

Me = Principle Applicant
I have spouse, kid1, kid2.

I filled in IMM0008 Generic OK.
I + spouse filled in IMM0008 Sch1 (1 each).

IMM5406:
Do we need to fill in one each? Or one between us?
Guidance notes says "Anyone who fills in IMM0008 has to fill in IMM5406". But as you can see from above, some IMM0008 is filled in by one person, sometimes by two. Duh. Any hints and tips? Please? Need to get this in the post before bank statements expire!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:50 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IMM5406 Confusion

What "guidance notes" say it, where?

The CIC's official application guides always clearly state who needs to file IMM 5406:

Additional Family Information (IMM5406)

To be completed by:
• You
• Your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not)
• Your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not)

It is very important that you list on this form any other children (even if they are already permanent residents or Canadian citizens) that you, your spouse or common-law partner or your dependent children might have who are not included in your Application for Permanent Residence. This includes:
• married children
• adopted children
• step-children
• any of your children who have been adopted by others
• any of your children who are in the custody of an ex-spouse, common-law partner or other guardian

You must be reading wrong "guidance" my friend.

You complete your own form as Applicant, list your spouse as such, list your parents, children and siblings. Your spouse completes her own form as Applicant, listing yourself as spouse, then her parents, children and siblings. And of course every child aged 18 or over must complete his/her IMM 5406 too.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jan 2nd 2008 at 12:53 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 1:33 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IMM5406 Confusion

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
What "guidance notes" say it, where?

The CIC's official application guides always clearly state who needs to file IMM 5406:

Additional Family Information (IMM5406)

To be completed by:
• You
• Your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not)
• Your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not)

It is very important that you list on this form any other children (even if they are already permanent residents or Canadian citizens) that you, your spouse or common-law partner or your dependent children might have who are not included in your Application for Permanent Residence. This includes:
• married children
• adopted children
• step-children
• any of your children who have been adopted by others
• any of your children who are in the custody of an ex-spouse, common-law partner or other guardian

You must be reading wrong "guidance" my friend.

You complete your own form as Applicant, list your spouse as such, list your parents, children and siblings. Your spouse completes her own form as Applicant, listing yourself as spouse, then her parents, children and siblings. And of course every child aged 18 or over must complete his/her IMM 5406 too.

My bad. I hold up my hands. I should have double-checked the source and used the proper CIC guide which is here:
www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/EP7.pdf
And says exactly what you say it says.

In answer to your question as to where I got the note, a Google found me something called "Application Kit, Rev_nov_2007.doc (instruct form.pdf)" which is here:
http://www.gov.mb.ca/itm/invest/pnp-...structform.pdf

I've now noticed the guide I was looking at wasnt official CIC - it was a second hand attempt from Manitoba (and potentially wrong by the look of it). Oh well at least it looks like I got it right first time.

Sorry Andrew - I didn't use the Golden Rule.
"Use the Force - Look at the Source"

Many thanks.