Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Im a Skilled worker,will my girlfriend be able to....

Im a Skilled worker,will my girlfriend be able to....

Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Bricklayer u.k will become famous soon enoughBricklayer u.k will become famous soon enough
Default Im a Skilled worker,will my girlfriend be able to....

Hello

I will be out there on a 2 year work permit if i go, i have a job offer sorted out.

What will my girlfriend be able to do, shes is a student and will have finshed uni doing fine art, will she be unable to work over there, or will she be able to get a bar job or any other jobs.

Im lost looking at the cic and always get great reponse and advice of this site!!

We have been together for 4 years and have proof as she has been on my coucil tax bill for 14 months(but being a student she didnt have to pay,, bloody tax doging students!!!!) and it will be around 19 months when we are gonna go out to Canada.

Iv heard you have to prove how long you have been together??

All info and storys wanted please

Thank You
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

kirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to all
Default Re: Im a Skilled worker,will my girlfriend be able to....

we are in the same boat ...
not married but lived together for 3 years

We been told that you just need to show proof that you lived together for 12months
Like joint bankstatements , even seperate bank statements just so long as they sent to the same address. A tenancy agreement with both names on .. A bill with both names on , or 2 bills with each name.... We found 101 things to prove it , and shall bring them all just incase ..
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can attach a common law partner on your TWP but 12 month is the qualifying time together with proof et al. You must do this when applying for your visa though. If you are doing this late then it might slow things down for you. I believe she'll get an open work permit. You'll be locked to your job but she will not.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Bricklayer u.k will become famous soon enoughBricklayer u.k will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by roxye3
I think you can attach a common law partner on your TWP but 12 month is the qualifying time together with proof et al. You must do this when applying for your visa though. If you are doing this late then it might slow things down for you. I believe she'll get an open work permit. You'll be locked to your job but she will not.
Can anyone confirm this "she`ll get an open work permit"

Its not that i dont believe you its just more answers are better than one

Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

kirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to all

well she will have to apply for it at the same time as you apply for your TWP
and as long as you have proof of partnership it wont be a problem.

I hope am right as this is what we are doing , but then as we havent actualy done this yet i could be wrong.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:11 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that spouses (commonlaw included) are entitled to an open work permit if the main applicants job is in skill category A B or O (NOC code)
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I believe that spouses (commonlaw included) are entitled to an open work permit if the main applicants job is in skill category A B or O (NOC code)
You should be fine if you apply together and she is on your TWP application process. Good Luck!

WICKED!