Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I'm impatient - getting a TWP whilst waiting for FSW

I'm impatient - getting a TWP whilst waiting for FSW

Old Feb 29th 2012, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Integer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm impatient - getting a TWP whilst waiting for FSW

Hi all

We've been waiting a while to make the move to Nova Scotia, we sent our first application to Sydney 2 years ago and seem to be in the backlog so I have a few questions about getting over a bit quicker via TWP's.

If my wife or I could secure a job offer could we go over on a TWP while we wait for the FSW to come through? How long could a TWP last for? If one person gets a TWP is the spouse allowed to work too or would they need a separate TWP?

Is this a viable option, basically...

Thanks
Old Mar 1st 2012, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I'm impatient - getting a TWP whilst waiting for FSW

Not sure if it's the norm, but all people I've come across get a 2 year permit, and that can sometimes be extended (I know people who have done this). What you get could be down to what job you secure the LMO for.

Depending on what NOC category you get your job in, your wife may be able to get an open work permit (but yours will be linked to the job you secured).
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Integer is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, thanks for that.

Have you any idea how it would affect my current FWS application if we moved over on a TWP? I imagine it's not as simple as just changing address, would my application have to be transferred from London to another office in Canada? Or would I have to cancel the application and re-apply from within Canada?
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice

You'd need to tell them and send them all the details of your job offer, lmo and twp. Your application then changes category from FSW 1 to FSW 2. You don't need to re-apply. How this impacts timescales for PR I don't know.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Integer
Hi all

We've been waiting a while to make the move to Nova Scotia, we sent our first application to Sydney 2 years ago and seem to be in the backlog so I have a few questions about getting over a bit quicker via TWP's.

If my wife or I could secure a job offer could we go over on a TWP while we wait for the FSW to come through? How long could a TWP last for? If one person gets a TWP is the spouse allowed to work too or would they need a separate TWP?

Is this a viable option, basically...

Thanks
This is exactly what we have done.
see our timeline below

we got fed up waiting and waiting and made the decision to just come over.
the hardest bit is finding an employer who is willing to apply for an LMO for you which takes time.
there are companies who have pre-arranged LMO's though which means you could have a work permit in the blink of an eye depending on your skills.

A friend of mine networks with such companies and has contacts which may be useful to you.

what skills/qualifications to you have? what kind of work would yo be looking for?
would you be prepared to take another job using different skills until your FSW visa came through.
I'm not talking flipping burgers here.....lol
A friend of mine came over wanting a logistics job, he has taken a trucking job (whihc had pre-arranged LMO) which means he can support his family and they can all live in Canada until such time as their PR comes through.

hope that helps ;-)

feel free to pm me

Sharon
Old Mar 1st 2012, 11:20 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ailsa n Dave
You'd need to tell them and send them all the details of your job offer, lmo and twp. Your application then changes category from FSW 1 to FSW 2. You don't need to re-apply. How this impacts timescales for PR I don't know.
That is not correct. Once submitted, you can not make changes to the application stream, unless you cancel one application and make another.

You can, of course, contact them and let them know your change of address and that you now have a work permit, but it will make no difference to your application.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
That is not correct. Once submitted, you can not make changes to the application stream, unless you cancel one application and make another.

You can, of course, contact them and let them know your change of address and that you now have a work permit, but it will make no difference to your application.
It may not officially change stream, however the PER letter states you have to inform them off any changes to your application, including address etc.. and specifically mentions submission of an arranged employment opinion approved by HRSDC. If this was not taken into account as part of your application review then why would they bother asking for this? As the conditions of review are slightly different if you have an arranged job, then in effect does that not infer your application will be processed differently?
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:03 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

It may not officially change stream, however the PER letter states you have to inform them off any changes to your application, including address etc.. and specifically mentions submission of an arranged employment opinion approved by HRSDC. If this was not taken into account as part of your application review then why would they bother asking for this? As the conditions of review are slightly different if you have an arranged job, then in effect does that not infer your application will be processed differently?
Yes you do have to inform them of any changes. Getting a job with an LMO is not the same as applying with an AEO.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Yes you do have to inform them of any changes. Getting a job with an LMO is not the same as applying with an AEO.
Whats different? As an example, would they still need to check your proof of funds if you now have a job? that would seem a bit pointless? Surely it depends what stage in the process you are at and each case is different?
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:30 pm

Whats different? As an example, would they still need to check your proof of funds if you now have a job? that would seem a bit pointless? Surely it depends what stage in the process you are at and each case is different?
The whole process is different - gaining an AEO is a more complex process than gaining an LMO.

You would think that would be the case, but no, it is not.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

The whole process is different - gaining an AEO is a more complex process than gaining an LMO.

You would think that would be the case, but no, it is not.
Your confusing me now - lol!

By Job Offer above I meant AEO... Getting an LMO (if you need one) is just a step in getting your job offer approved is it not? My understanding was you need an approved offer of employment to get a TWP?? So if you have a TWP you must also have an AEO??

So on the original issue if you have a TWP (hence AEO) does your FSW1 not get treated as an FSW2 even if not actually officially changing category?
Old Mar 1st 2012, 1:20 pm

Your confusing me now - lol!

By Job Offer above I meant AEO... Getting an LMO (if you need one) is just a step in getting your job offer approved is it not? My understanding was you need an approved offer of employment to get a TWP?? So if you have a TWP you must also have an AEO??

So on the original issue if you have a TWP (hence AEO) does your FSW1 not get treated as an FSW2 even if not actually officially changing category?
No - you do not need an AEO to get a TWP. To get a TWP you need a positive labour market opinion.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

No - you do not need an AEO to get a TWP. To get a TWP you need a positive labour market opinion.
Is an AEO something other than a job offer from a Canadian Employer which has been approved either by issue of an LMO or confirmation that it doesn't need one? What am I missing?
Old Mar 1st 2012, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Is an AEO something other than a job offer from a Canadian Employer which has been approved either by issue of an LMO or confirmation that it doesn't need one? What am I missing?
AEO is an arranged employment offer approved by HRDSC, but the difference is that the employer is promising to employ you ONCE you have gotten residency. So you get your AEO, then apply for residency under FSW2, once you get your PR, then you start working for the employer.

LMO (labour market opinion) is also HRDSC approved, but this is for those wanting to start work in Canada immmediately, so getting this allows obtaining a TWP to start work in Canada. Then one applies for residency whilst in working in Canada under the LMO/TWP.

Both of these methods are FSW Cat 2.

LMO/TWP I think is by far the most popular FSW2 method, since few employers will wait for 1+ year for the residency application to be improved before the prospective employee can start work.

Wayne.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Waggle! that makes sense now!

Is it really the case though that you'd have to withdraw an fsw1 application if you get a twp and a job? Surely you can just send through the updated info and they take that into account when accessing your details?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.