Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I'm to Canada to be with girlfriend all help welcomed

I'm to Canada to be with girlfriend all help welcomed

Old Oct 11th 2017, 5:22 am
Just Joined

Aquadave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm to Canada to be with girlfriend all help welcomed

Hi all, first post and guess I'm reaching out for help.
I have so mean awful lot of research and contact some immigration help services.

I have fallen in love quite deeply with a Canadian citizen. We have been dating online now just short of a year, voice calls daily so to continuous messages.

I am looking to be with her but eabt to go down the proper channels so I'm here reaching out for your help.

I've 2 avms on my brain if which can burst when ever so I'm hoping to be able to spend what ever time I can with my girlfriend whether it be s day or a life time.

I've no family ties here as sadly we've all fallen out but years if abuse means I'm glad if that, so I've no ties to here wgere as my girlfriend has very close support from her family who know fully of and about me, we too speak often.

I'm looking for any options ad to how I can be with her and permanently but doing it the right way.

I do have family in Canada being an aunt but I've not spoken to them in many years.

I'm 30 years old, currently not working but am capable of repairing cars, buts if farm work, and run various websites as a hobby.

What options do I Have? How long can I expect to be with her? I can't contemplate ending a relationship like this as for once in my life I am beyond happy and know I won't find love like this.

Life is short and I wabt to make the most of it that I can

Thank you in advance
Old Oct 11th 2017, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm to Canada to be with girlfriend all help welcomed

Originally Posted by Aquadave
Hi all, first post and guess I'm reaching out for help.
I have so mean awful lot of research and contact some immigration help services.

I have fallen in love quite deeply with a Canadian citizen. We have been dating online now just short of a year, voice calls daily so to continuous messages.

I am looking to be with her but eabt to go down the proper channels so I'm here reaching out for your help.

I've 2 avms on my brain if which can burst when ever so I'm hoping to be able to spend what ever time I can with my girlfriend whether it be s day or a life time.

I've no family ties here as sadly we've all fallen out but years if abuse means I'm glad if that, so I've no ties to here wgere as my girlfriend has very close support from her family who know fully of and about me, we too speak often.

I'm looking for any options ad to how I can be with her and permanently but doing it the right way.

I do have family in Canada being an aunt but I've not spoken to them in many years.

I'm 30 years old, currently not working but am capable of repairing cars, buts if farm work, and run various websites as a hobby.

What options do I Have? How long can I expect to be with her? I can't contemplate ending a relationship like this as for once in my life I am beyond happy and know I won't find love like this.

Life is short and I wabt to make the most of it that I can

Thank you in advance
As you're 30, you can apply for an IEC work permit, which would allow you to spend two years in Canada (although a requirement of IEC is valid medical insurance, and glancing at avms, it looks like you may have difficulty getting coverage with that?). Also, IEC is random draw, so no guarantees you'd be drawn at all, and the age limit for UK citizens is 30 (before your 31st birthday), so if you have no other citizenships, the 2018 round would be your last chance.

Alternatively, you can travel to Canada as a tourist. If you then live together with your girlfriend for a year, or you get married, she can sponsor you for Permanent Residency. This is, obviously, a major commitment on both parties.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Aquadave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
As you're 30, you can apply for an IEC work permit, which would allow you to spend two years in Canada (although a requirement of IEC is valid medical insurance, and glancing at avms, it looks like you may have difficulty getting coverage with that?). Also, IEC is random draw, so no guarantees you'd be drawn at all, and the age limit for UK citizens is 30 (before your 31st birthday), so if you have no other citizenships, the 2018 round would be your last chance.

Alternatively, you can travel to Canada as a tourist. If you then live together with your girlfriend for a year, or you get married, she can sponsor you for Permanent Residency. This is, obviously, a major commitment on both parties.
Hi and thank you for getting back to me,I have looked at this side and have noticed it's basically a lottery, I'm looking for a guarantee instead.

You mentioned living with her for a year. When I do get the chance to go over there I would be living with her anyway. So that side isn't an issue. With how much we video talk and do everything together it's like we already do just not in person.
I don't want to marry to just stay I want marriage to be the right thing for us both not a convenience.

There is away I can go there for a year though? I've not been aware if this I thought there were limits?
Old Oct 11th 2017, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aquadave
Hi and thank you for getting back to me,I have looked at this side and have noticed it's basically a lottery, I'm looking for a guarantee instead.

You mentioned living with her for a year. When I do get the chance to go over there I would be living with her anyway. So that side isn't an issue. With how much we video talk and do everything together it's like we already do just not in person.
I don't want to marry to just stay I want marriage to be the right thing for us both not a convenience.

There is away I can go there for a year though? I've not been aware if this I thought there were limits?
Well, there are no guarantees. You can travel to Canada as a visitor, and be granted permission to stay for up to six months on entry. You can be issued less time, or refused, if they don't like your answers to questions. If you're allowed in, you can apply online to extend your time there, which will be approved/denied based on the information you supply them.

If you live together for 12 months as a couple, and can prove it, then the Government of Canada will act as though you are married, and give you all the rights and obligations that that includes (so, eg, your partner could sponsor you for residency, and would file taxes as a couple).

The closest there is to a 'guarantee' is that if you are married, or a common law couple, and can prove a genuine relationship, she would be able to sponsor you to stay/go there.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 8:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You can go for up to 6 months, and then apply to extend your visitor status for up to another 6 months. Just bear in mind you'll have around 18 months of being in Canada before you are able to work, so you'll need to take a good chunk of money with you to support yourself during that time (unless you're prepared to get married straight away, which would cut that down to around 6 months).

In all honesty, IEC is a lottery, but it's your quickest and easiest way over there if you want to work.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 11th 2017 at 8:39 am.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Also be aware that getting granted any time at all as a visitor may be difficult in your circumstances. Presumably little in the way of funds, no real ties to UK (family/job) and your are coming to visit a girlfriend (you have never met in person). You can expect a bit of a grilling at immigration and will need to be able to show why you intend to return to UK.

I am not judging (I did something similar with my now wife, but I was a student at the time and could prove my need to return to UK to finish studies and had funds). When my wife visited me, after I visited her, she was denied her first UK visitors visa because she wasn't working and could not prove she would return to US.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what sort of factor this might be but I thought I'd mention it as the other posters (more knowledgeable than me!) haven't.... you say you have 'avms on brain'. I googled this and it tells me it means 'Arteriovenous Malformation'. Is this what you have? I'm just flagging it up because if you plan to apply for residency of some kind they will want to know about medical issues. I've no idea if what you have requires treatment or might in the future, but they do take that sort of thing seriously. I'm not sure how you would find out if it's something Canada might take issue with, maybe someone else can help with that....
Old Oct 15th 2017, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The poster should read this link as he might be considered an Excessive demand on health and social services if wanting to apply for PR status
Excessive demand on health and social services

BTW what is your citizenship?
Old Oct 17th 2017, 3:15 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

And it's worth adding that if he applies through the Spousal class that he can't be rejected for medical reasons. This might be the only viable path, given his condition.