Wikiposts

ILETS for Native English People?

Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default ILETS for Native English People?

Hiya
Hope someone can help out here. My friend has just said she has to do an ILETS test in English, but is this right? She was born to English parents, born in England, educated in English, trained in English, Works in English...ie English through and through....so does she need to do an English test under the new application system? We didn't have to under the old system?
Just trying to understand this?
Thanks for any help
Stef
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:18 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ILETS for Native English People?

Yes she will have to under the new scheme

their is a thread entitled FSWlanguage requirements or some such

I would link to it but am on handheld device at the moment
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear!
Thanks for that...they really are moving the goalposts, and this is clearly just another expense...can't see what the point is?
Glad we did it all when we did now.
Stef

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Yes she will have to under the new scheme

their is a thread entitled FSWlanguage requirements or some such

I would link to it but am on handheld device at the moment
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Oh dear!
Thanks for that...they really are moving the goalposts, and this is clearly just another expense...can't see what the point is?
Glad we did it all when we did now.
Stef
Jim Humphries has a sensible take on the reason, I reckon:
"This is definitely a reaction to too many cases where the applicant cannot pass the language test but applies anyway. They think it is cluttering up their case load with non-starters."
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi
Yes but forcing native English speakers to fork out £100+ is a bit extreme
lol
Stef
Originally Posted by Bucks_Family
Jim Humphries has a sensible take on the reason, I reckon:
"This is definitely a reaction to too many cases where the applicant cannot pass the language test but applies anyway. They think it is cluttering up their case load with non-starters."
Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
The fact people can speak English doesn't prove that they can write it. Educational standards have fallen so far that even a degree doesn't prove anything.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:38 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
lol
Stef
Using this forum as evidence, i think it would do people good to brush up on their English skills

Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
lol
Stef
For over 12 months now I have seen nurses from the UK moving to Australia have to sit and pass IELTS to meet requirements set down by the nursing board and seen reverse with English speakers having to meet the UK nursing requirements of passing IELTS to meet NMC requirements. Can't see any difference here to what is happening with Canada
Old Jun 28th 2010, 2:28 am
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

My OH is an IELTS examiner, and we were talking about this yesterday. I think that it's easier to apply the rules across the board, rather than on a case-by-case basis.

It would seem to me that they are just bringing Canada into line with other countries. Just because you were born and brought up in the UK, doesn't mean you will necessarily have "native speaker" status. And as there is so much variation, my guess is there is only one way to solve the issue - make everyone take the test.

It may seem insulting to some of us, but there is a logic behind it. I know it puts an extra cost to the application, but again, that might deter the less than committed applicant. Fewer "iffy" applications may speed the process up for everyone, which would, in my view, be welcome!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 2:38 am
Agadir

agadir is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya
Hope someone can help out here. My friend has just said she has to do an ILETS test in English, but is this right? She was born to English parents, born in England, educated in English, trained in English, Works in English...ie English through and through....so does she need to do an English test under the new application system? We didn't have to under the old system?
Just trying to understand this?
Thanks for any help
Stef
Hi, I used to teach IELTS (International English Language Testing System), and I've never heard of this before. It's primarily a test for second language speakers.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 2:55 am
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by agadir
Hi, I used to teach IELTS (International English Language Testing System), and I've never heard of this before. It's primarily a test for second language speakers.
It is indeed. However, IELTS can also be used to assess whether someone claiming to be a native speaker, actually is. It's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but it's probably the only sledgehammer they've got.

Sorry to mangle my metaphors.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi
Thats what I thought too. But it seems from what everyone is saying, that all new applicants have to do it. That is just something else to have to pay out for.

On a brighter note...Our application took 4 years and the way it worked out, we needed to do thepolice checks 3 times...so why we had to send them in with the application and then be forced to wait years...knowing they had a short life...is beyond me. But, I suppose it weeds out the ones without a clean or rehabilitated record....more room in the pigeon holes!!!
Stef

Originally Posted by agadir
Old Jun 28th 2010, 3:16 am
Adapting slowly...

... so why we had to send them in with the application and then be forced to wait years ... knowing they had a short life ... is beyond me.
I think someone in Canada wants to teach the world, not to sing, but to learn patience. And to learn patience the hard way.

One day that nice-patience-teaching-Canadian-person is going to be desperate for a pee, and there's going to be an immense queue, and then just as they get to the door, someone is going to move the building and they'll have to wait even longer.

And that'll be karma in action.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh....Yay!!!!! Can't wait for that day
Stef

Originally Posted by Funky Florist
I think someone in Canada wants to teach the world, not to sing, but to learn patience. And to learn patience the hard way.

One day that nice-patience-teaching-Canadian-person is going to be desperate for a pee, and there's going to be an immense queue, and then just as they get to the door, someone is going to move the building and they'll have to wait even longer.

Old Jun 28th 2010, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Funky Florist

Hope that Canadian isn't you (after you become a Canadian).....

Ray

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.