Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IELTS Requirment for CIC PR application for UK Kindergarten Teacher

IELTS Requirment for CIC PR application for UK Kindergarten Teacher

Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:35 am
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all
Default IELTS Requirment for CIC PR application for UK Kindergarten Teacher

Hi,

We have applied to MPNP and are just awaiting LOA. We applied to MPNP on the 1st of June, with my wife being the principle applicant. We have been British Citizens from birth and educated in English, which is our native and first language. At the time we applied to MPNP there was no requirement to submit IELTS and because my wife's intended occupation is Kindergarten Teacher there is still no requirement to submit IELTS as its a skilled occupation. However on the IMM5690E (Document check list for permanent residence-Provincial Nominee Program) it asks for IELTS results and if these are not submitted your application will be returned. Dose anyone know if we need to undertake IELTS before we submit our PR application to CIC? My wife has also just qualified as a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) Teacher so i do not see the relevance of us having to sit IELTS, surly her degree certificate, her Manitoba letter of eligibility for a permanent teaching certificate and her newly awarded TEFL certificate should be proof beyond any reasonable doubt of her English language ability? Thanks in advance for any thoughts/pointers.

Regards

Andrew
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS Requirment for CIC PR application for UK Kindergarten Teacher

Originally Posted by chiefmissile
Hi,

We have applied to MPNP and are just awaiting LOA. We applied to MPNP on the 1st of June, with my wife being the principle applicant. We have been British Citizens from birth and educated in English, which is our native and first language. At the time we applied to MPNP there was no requirement to submit IELTS and because my wife's intended occupation is Kindergarten Teacher there is still no requirement to submit IELTS as its a skilled occupation. However on the IMM5690E (Document check list for permanent residence-Provincial Nominee Program) it asks for IELTS results and if these are not submitted your application will be returned. Dose anyone know if we need to undertake IELTS before we submit our PR application to CIC? My wife has also just qualified as a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) Teacher so i do not see the relevance of us having to sit IELTS, surly her degree certificate, her Manitoba letter of eligibility for a permanent teaching certificate and her newly awarded TEFL certificate should be proof beyond any reasonable doubt of her English language ability? Thanks in advance for any thoughts/pointers.

Regards

Andrew
I think you answered your own question in the "How much did PR cost you" thread in the Immigration section. Your wife's job is not in the lower-skilled C or D bracket, I think? Then currently she doesn't need to supply a IELTS certificate.
The IMM5690E form states "most applicants" applying under skill level C or D require IELTS certificates. IMHO, your wife doesn't. I think you're starting to overthink things, a common trait amongst applicants. Take a deep breath, re-read it, give them what they ask for.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family
I think you answered your own question in the "How much did PR cost you" thread in the Immigration section. Your wife's job is not in the lower-skilled C or D bracket, I think? Then currently she doesn't need to supply a IELTS certificate.
The IMM5690E form states "most applicants" applying under skill level C or D require IELTS certificates. IMHO, your wife doesn't. I think you're starting to overthink things, a common trait amongst applicants. Take a deep breath, re-read it, give them what they ask for.
+1.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:26 am
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Yip you are right overthinking, belts, braces, string, masking tape. I just do not want to delay our application due to some little oversight. It dose say on the Emmigrate Manitoba site that although there is no need for IELTS for NOC categories A&B it kind of implies that every applicant should do just incase Quote" Concerning all applicants: All MPNP applicants are encouraged to submit test results demonstrating their English or French proficiency regardless of their assessed occupation." Unquote

Regards

Andrew
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Yip you are right overthinking, belts, braces, string, masking tape. I just do not want to delay our application due to some little oversight. It dose say on the Emmigrate Manitoba site that although there is no need for IELTS for NOC categories A&B it kind of implies that every applicant should do just incase Quote" Concerning all applicants: All MPNP applicants are encouraged to submit test results demonstrating their English or French proficiency regardless of their assessed occupation." Unquote

Regards

Andrew
Yep, I saw that bit too. That puts the ball in your wife's court - she can include one if she wants, but she isn't required to. From the other documentation you're supplying, particularly the TEFL certificate, I think that would be fitting wheels to a tomato. I suspect that line is there for any applicants who are applying with A or B jobs but for whom English (or French) isn't their strongest language. A good IELTS result would assist their application. For you, unnecessary, methinks. Just my opinion though! :-)
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:40 am
Andrew

Yep, I saw that bit too. That puts the ball in your wife's court - she can include one if she wants, but she isn't required to. From the other documentation you're supplying, particularly the TEFL certificate, I think that would be fitting wheels to a tomato. I suspect that line is there for any applicants who are applying with A or B jobs but for whom English (or French) isn't their strongest language. A good IELTS result would assist their application. For you, unnecessary, methinks. Just my opinion though! :-)
Thanks Mate,

I have emailed MPNP to ask them directly, but as you say, commonsense should prevail and i may be looking into it too much, but someone who replied to my earlier post, who is applying when the FSW program starts up, has already undertaken IELTS and they are British, however not sure of his Noc category. When are you planning to land? Bet you can't wait?

Thanks

Andrew
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:47 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Surely it will do no harm for your wife to submit IELTS with her application.
Like you say.. 'Belt and braces approach' as there will be no doubt at all, as to her English language ability, in the eyes of the reviewing immigration officer.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:53 am
Andrew

Originally Posted by james.mc
Surely it will do no harm for your wife to submit IELTS with her application.
Like you say.. 'Belt and braces approach' as there will be no doubt at all, as to her English language ability, in the eyes of the reviewing immigration officer.
Thanks, will consider this, as you say can't do any harm and will dot the i's and cross the T's.

Thanks

Andrew
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:57 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Especially as it's currently not required, but that may change to being required. Who knows? One thing that won't change is, if your wife submits an IELTS CIC will never ask for one no matter if it's required or not. Does that make sense?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:59 am
Andrew

Originally Posted by james.mc
Especially as it's currently not required, but that may change to being required. Who knows? One thing that won't change is, if your wife submits an IELTS CIC will never ask for one no matter if it's required or not. Does that make sense?
Loud and clear thanks.

Andrew
Old Oct 24th 2012, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Mate,

When are you planning to land? Bet you can't wait?
We'll be landing on Christmas Day :-) Holiday is all booked, this visa application process has got me very used to waiting for things to happen, so actually quite relaxed about it, I'll get excited about it once the paperwork is all stamped :-)
Old Oct 24th 2012, 2:19 am
Andrew

We'll be landing on Christmas Day :-) Holiday is all booked, this visa application process has got me very used to waiting for things to happen, so actually quite relaxed about it, I'll get excited about it once the paperwork is all stamped :-)
Good luck, would like to know what your landing experience is like, with regards to visa's etc, would be a good post.

Regards

Andrew
Old Oct 24th 2012, 2:23 am
All Sooked up!

@Bucks_Family
Good luck. It's been a long wait for many of us. We're not far behind you hopefully.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 2:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

but someone who replied to my earlier post, who is applying when the FSW program starts up, has already undertaken IELTS and they are British, however not sure of his Noc category.
You seem to be misunderstanding - for FSW, IELTS is compulsory for every single applicant (regardless of NOC category and nationality), hence why that person had taken it. But for PNP, it's only required for those in Skill Level C & D jobs.

As you are neither applying via FSW, or CEC (another PR route that also requires it), or are Skill Level C or D and applying via PNP, there is no requirement for you or your wife to take the IELTS exam.

Hope that's clarified it.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 3:07 am
Andrew

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You seem to be misunderstanding - for FSW, IELTS is compulsory for every single applicant (regardless of NOC category and nationality), hence why that person had taken it. But for PNP, it's only required for those in Skill Level C & D jobs.

As you are neither applying via FSW, or CEC (another PR route that also requires it), or are Skill Level C or D and applying via PNP, there is no requirement for you or your wife to take the IELTS exam.

Hope that's clarified it.
Yes thanks very much, just on auto pilot at the moment and want to get everything sorted before my LOA arrives (We hope) so i can send off the full CIC application to NS. Thanks again for all your help, i am sure there will be more questions in the months to follow.

Cheers

Andrew