Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IELTS has run out. Do we need it for PR?

IELTS has run out. Do we need it for PR?

Old Nov 12th 2019, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Loraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default IELTS has run out. Do we need it for PR?

Hello,

It's been a while as always with me, but I'm having some issues with our PR application. We are in NS on a two year WP. Originally we came on AIPP but had issues with my education accreditation so had to switch routes. I've now been here since April 2018 and I'm finally in the process of applying for PR. Thing is, my IELTS English test has now expired and I can't find any info as to whether I'll need to resit it or not.
Does it need to be up to date for PR considering I couldn't have got my WP without it?

Any help gratefully received

Thanks
Old Nov 12th 2019, 5:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS has run out. Do we need it for PR?

Originally Posted by Loraine 1
Does it need to be up to date for PR considering I couldn't have got my WP without it?
IELTS isn't normally required for a work permit, why did you need it? In any event, you can only re-use your IELTS result if it's still valid.

If not, then you'll need to re-sit it. But not all PR routes require PR, which one are you using?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 12th 2019 at 5:13 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Loraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
IELTS isn't normally required for a work permit, why did you need it? In any event, you can only re-use your IELTS result if it's still valid.

If not, then you'll need to re-sit it. But not all PR routes require PR, which one are you using?
We're going down LMO now as we had issues with my education accreditation under AIPP. So if I have an endorsement letter from the province (which I have) then would I still need to resit the IELTS? It really bugs me as it's so expensive and such a waste of time
Old Nov 12th 2019, 5:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

We're going down LMO now
Do you mean LMIA? LMO's haven't been in existence for years, they were replaced with LMIA's. But that's only for a Temp Work Permit, not PR - can you clarify exactly what you're applying for?

So if I have an endorsement letter from the province (which I have)
That's only valid for a PR app via AIPP though, it has no bearing on any other visa app (and even then, you'd have needed a new IELTS when applying for PR via AIPP if it had expired). If you can let us know what you're applying for, we can try and help.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 5:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

And actually, I'm also confused (doesn't take much!) about your current work permit - you said you came over via AIPP initially? But you have a two year work permit (those issued under AIPP are for a year normally), and also have you applied for PR within the 90 day period required? Just checking to see exactly what visa you're currently on as what you've said doesn't seem to match up with AIPP?
Old Nov 12th 2019, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah it's very confusing and I have real problems understanding what they actually want which is why I'm confused now.

I initially came through via AIPP on a 1yr WP. I then couldn't get my education accredited so they kicked back my PR application. After a lot of messing around and my employer getting involved with everyone and everything we ended up switching to LMO and I got a new 2yr WP. The 2yr WP was issued in June 2019 and I'm now trying to apply for my PR
Old Nov 12th 2019, 5:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yeah it's very confusing and I have real problems understanding what they actually want which is why I'm confused now.

I initially came through via AIPP on a 1yr WP. I then couldn't get my education accredited so they kicked back my PR application. After a lot of messing around and my employer getting involved with everyone and everything we ended up switching to LMO and I got a new 2yr WP. The 2yr WP was issued in June 2019 and I'm now trying to apply for my PR
Ah, got it. So you're on a 2 year TWP which expires in 2021, which is great.

But which route are you using to apply for PR now? IELTS isn't required for all routes, so you may not need to re-take it, but it will depend on how you're applying for PR.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Okay I'm getting confused again now. My WP is based on me getting a LMO from the province. We've been completing our PR application based on the LMO endorsement. Is there another way that would be better?
Old Nov 12th 2019, 7:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

My WP is based on me getting a LMO from the province.
Do you mean provincial nomination rather than LMO maybe? LMO's were scrapped in 2014, and provinces couldn't issue them anyway, so I think your work permit must be from a LMIA or provincial nomination.

We've been completing our PR application based on the LMO endorsement. Is there another way that would be better?
There's no way to automatically get PR from a LMIA/Temp Work Permit. What PR application are you completing? Could you maybe give a link to the application page so we can see what route you're using and try and help?