IELTS (Gripe...)

Old Apr 24th 2014, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Kaylawayla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IELTS (Gripe...)

Hi all.
Just looking to vent a little bewilderment and frustration about the IELTS english test which cic are looking for as part of the FSW application.
(i know i wont get much sympathy but hey )

Fair enough, i see the point of it. Canada want people to prove they can speak the language proficiently. Even if the applicant is born, raised, educated in an english speaking country.. No problem.

My wife sat and passed the test in feb 2012. Did very well. Cost us £120. Surely thats her shown, and proven that she can speak english. But now that we are looking to apply through the fsw programme, we both have to sit the test? Will cost us £270! (its went up in price)

Why should my wife have to do it again ? Why is there a 2year 'expiry' date on the test.. ?
Its not as if someone is going to lose their ability to speak their first language in 2years?..

Tongue in cheek rant over.. Lol
Old Apr 24th 2014, 9:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS (Gripe...)

I'd disagree that she wouldn't have lost her ability to speak the language - people may well study for the exam but then 2 years down the line not have used it since, so they will have forgotten it. I realise that's not the case for your wife as a native English speaker, but most applicants aren't native English speakers so are learning the language specifically to sit IELTS and can easily lose that ability if they don't keep it up.

You don't both *have* to sit the test either, you can choose to for extra points, but it's not mandatory.

Sorry, not terribly sympathetic as you suspected, but to me it makes sense that IELTS results don't last forever tbh.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 9:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaylawayla
Hi all.
Just looking to vent a little bewilderment and frustration about the IELTS english test which cic are looking for as part of the FSW application.
(i know i wont get much sympathy but hey )

Fair enough, i see the point of it. Canada want people to prove they can speak the language proficiently. Even if the applicant is born, raised, educated in an english speaking country.. No problem.

My wife sat and passed the test in feb 2012. Did very well. Cost us £120. Surely thats her shown, and proven that she can speak english. But now that we are looking to apply through the fsw programme, we both have to sit the test? Will cost us £270! (its went up in price)

Why should my wife have to do it again ? Why is there a 2year 'expiry' date on the test.. ?
Its not as if someone is going to lose their ability to speak their first language in 2years?..

Tongue in cheek rant over.. Lol
Pedant mode on.. That's why they want people to sit the IELTS test
Old Apr 24th 2014, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Pedant mode on.. That's why they want people to sit the IELTS test
Haha.

My higher english teacher will be disgusted! Lol
Old Apr 24th 2014, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

You don't both *have* to sit the test either, you can choose to for extra points, but it's not mandatory.
Oh really? Il check that out now.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Important information. If you are claiming adaptability points for your spouse or common-law partner’s language proficiency, you must include the results of their official English language proficiency test (CELPIP – General or IELTS – General Training) OR their official French language proficiency test (TEF) with your application to the CIO.

Yes you are right. Thanks.
£135 we will save can be used for (another copy) of police certificates etc
Old Apr 24th 2014, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

dwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud of

IELTS might prove you can speak the language, but it does nothing to help the locals understand your accent when you get over there...
Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dwight-van-man
IELTS might prove you can speak the language, but it does nothing to help the locals understand your accent when you get over there...
Sorry what was that?
Old Apr 25th 2014, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaylawayla
Sorry what was that?
Eee by gum lass can't tha understand what yon lad was saying to thee. Hast tha gotta a hearing problem? Tha needs to clear them lug holes out.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Eee by gum lass can't tha understand what yon lad was saying to thee. Hast tha gotta a hearing problem? Tha needs to clear them lug holes out.