IEC to work permit

Old Jan 31st 2019, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Cyclone27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC to work permit

Hi guys, im hoping someone can help or give advice on my situation.
So I'm on an IEC visa currently which runs out in May. I have applied to AINP for a provincial nomination and I believe I have a strong application. The problem is they haven't started assessing my application yet. I sent it in December and they are currently only working on applications from October.
I'm not sure they will get to my application before my visa runs out so I'm looking for a plan B. I have enough money to support me on a visitors visa but then if I'm not working then I'm pretty sure my application won't be viable any longer.
I've been told an LMIA might be the best way forward.
I talked with my employer today and he said he's willing to help me with an LMIA application if necessary but he reckons it will be fruitless. I work in the restaurant industry as a manager and he thinks that they wouldn't issue an LMIA because there would be Canadians available to do my job, albeit possibly not as qualified. I am seeing a lawyer tomorrow that might be able to help but I'm hoping to get some advice from here or any suggestions that would help.
Old Jan 31st 2019, 9:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC to work permit

I’m afraid I’m inclined to agree with your boss, but if he’s happy to try it then go for it. Just get a wiggle on as LMIA’s take 3-4 months, and presumably you have to advertise the job first too? So you don’t have time to delay.

Good luck.
Old Feb 1st 2019, 4:49 am
Just Joined

Cyclone27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks I hope this meeting tomorrow will give me a way forward. Does anyone know of any other options I may have available?
Old Feb 1st 2019, 5:16 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cyclone27
Thanks I hope this meeting tomorrow will give me a way forward. Does anyone know of any other options I may have available?
In honesty I would suggest you save yourself a lot of money by not going to an Immigration Consultant / Lawyer - they can't magic a way for you to continue out of thin air - nor get AINP to hurry your application through! I agree with chrismasoompa that your best hope is for your employer to apply for an LMIA asap as time is so short. It's a shame that your Provincial nomination hasn't got to a point where you could have applied for a Bridging Open Work Permit or an AINP supported TWP. https://www.albertacanada.com/opport...f&cid=2&qid=56 / https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...rk-permit.html

If you do decide to continue with your appointment with the Immigration Consultant / Lawyer, do check that they are registered before you go https://iccrc-crcic.ca/ - and don't sign anything or agree to sign up with them - you can get plenty of free advice right here! The only other thing I could think of is if by chance you are in a common-law relationship or married - you could apply for spousal sponsorship (inland) and submit an application for an open work permit at the same time.. it takes about 4 months to get.

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 1st 2019 at 5:19 am.