Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IEC, whats next... Employer hiring process

IEC, whats next... Employer hiring process

Old Nov 14th 2016, 2:09 pm
O_o
Just Joined

O_o is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC, whats next... Employer hiring process

Hello Guys and Girls,

My IEC visa expires next year (2017) and I am fully aware its non extendable nor can I expect to apply for another one.

My employer is possibly going to hire me we are just waiting for confirmation.

Can someone tell me the name of the visa I will most likely be given in this situation?

Can anyone offer me some advice of things I need to have ready?

I am being kept in the dark by my employer and I want to make sure I am prepared. I have asked for more information from my employer but they said they wont be able to give me a clear answer until 2 months before my IEC visa expires and Im nervous about being unprepared.

Thank you.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 7:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC, whats next... Employer hiring process

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Being 'hired' (I assume that means you'll get a permanent job offer?) doesn't result in a visa, you'll need more than just a written job offer. For instance, to switch to a 'normal' TWP, you'll need your employer to apply for a LMIA.

Or for a PNP application (which if successful and you're nominated, would then give you a work permit tied to that application) you'll usually need your employer to help you with the application, although it does depend on the province you're in - where are you? And what is your job?

So really you need to have a chat with them about what they're prepared to do, and I'd say 2 months isn't nearly enough time - a LMIA alone can take 4 months or so, similar for PNP (or even longer).

If they want to keep you, and are prepared to help you, then they need to be thinking about it now and getting things underway.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 11:35 pm
O_o
Just Joined

O_o is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Thank you for your response,

I believe my company HR department is working on the LMIA, I have not actually been hired full time yet and wont find out till January

I can't disclose the company I work for, but I am in British columbia and contracted to work at the moment, the aim is contract to hire.

I have tried to stress for an answer but... I feel like I am hitting a brick wall to be honest and my manager is trying to help out but there is only so much he can do as it is not in his hands.

I know these things can take time, I am worried I will end up in complications because my IEC visa will expire and I will be staying here illegally.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 11:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by O_o
I believe my company HR department is working on the LMIA, I have not actually been hired full time yet and wont find out till January
You must have a full-time job offer for the LMIA to be granted, so perhaps they've given you one and you don't know about it! Your employment contract and offer letter will form part of their application.

Originally Posted by O_o
I have tried to stress for an answer but... I feel like I am hitting a brick wall to be honest and my manager is trying to help out but there is only so much he can do as it is not in his hands.
If the LMIA has been applied for, then that's great, and hopefully you'll have it through soon.

Originally Posted by O_o
I know these things can take time, I am worried I will end up in complications because my IEC visa will expire and I will be staying here illegally.
Well, you won't - because I'm sure you wouldn't be that daft, and if your LMIA doesn't come through in time you'll just either leave Canada or switch to visitor status and stop working. Right?

It's all sounding promising, at least the company are prepared to do the LMIA app for you, so now all you can do is wait and see if it's granted.

I assume you don't qualify to apply for PR now? If you did, and you'd reached the first stage of processing by the time your IEC expired, you could apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit, so wouldn't have to stop working.