Iec to visitor US border crossing

Old Jan 13th 2013, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

krista08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Iec to visitor US border crossing

Hello everyone,

My boyfriends IEC visa expires on January 31st. Does anyone have the knowledge or experience regarding whether or not we can just drive to the US border to change his status to visitor. He would remain a visitor until his 2nd IEC visa is accepted and than go to the border again to activate that. I know coming in as a visitor they often want proof of outward flight. Do you think if we just tell them he is waiting for his 2nd IEC visa and show them that we have enough money to support him as a visitor and that he will to be working at all that it would be ok? I know you can apply for a visitor visa online, I tried doing it the other night but the whole process seemed confusing....! (As most CIC processes)

Thank you all for your help. This forum has been great for advice.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 6:43 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iec to visitor US border crossing

Can't he apply to Vegreville? As long as he applies before his current visa expires he can stay in Canada (though can't work) until he gets a reply. That is usually about three months. His new IEC visa might be issued by then.

It seems a safer option to me. There is the possibility (albeit very remote I accept) that he may be refused a visitor's visa at the border.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

krista08 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was under the impression that if one is currently on an IEC visa there is no implied status? ....ie. even if he applies to vegreville he still can't just stay in the country as a visitor while awaiting the response since he is on an IEC visa?...
Old Jan 13th 2013, 7:35 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I am not an expert but you can look here.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

AFAIK you cannot have implied status of an IEC visa because these cannot be extended. However, you can have implied status as a visitor.