Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IEC to visitor conversion/extension

IEC to visitor conversion/extension

Old Apr 1st 2014, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Kraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to all
Default Re: IEC to visitor conversion/extension

I just don't want to check the "more than 6 months" thing in the online application and then be denied forcing me to use my second IEC visa straight away at the border.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kraven
I just don't want to check the "more than 6 months" thing in the online application and then be denied forcing me to use my second IEC visa straight away at the border.
Are you on IEC right now?
Old Apr 1st 2014, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Kraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to all

Originally Posted by burks
Are you on IEC right now?
Yes my first one runs out at the end of May.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 7:06 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Can I check that I have this right? You want to change your condition from 'worker' to visitor, you have a new IEC letter of introduction but you don't want to activate the work permit until you have found a job?

Send the application by mail - present processing times are 58 days - you will be on implied visitor status until you get a response, provided that the application reaches CIC before your current IEC visa expires.

If you are going to be activating your IEC work permit once you have found a job, this + the time they give you should be ample time.

Be prepared to show proof that you can support yourself on the application.

Old Apr 1st 2014, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

That is correct, the only thing I was really wondering is on the come to canada questionnaire it asks how long you want to visit Canada for. Either more than 6 months or less than 6 months.

I wasn't sure what to pick, more I guess would be better but then I don't want them to deny me the visitor visa if they don't want to give me more than 6 months. Or perhaps I am just thinking into this too much and the questionnaire doesn't really make a difference when applying for a visitor visa and they just give you what they give you.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 7:43 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

That is correct, the only thing I was really wondering is on the come to canada questionnaire it asks how long you want to visit Canada for. Either more than 6 months or less than 6 months.

I wasn't sure what to pick, more I guess would be better but then I don't want them to deny me the visitor visa if they don't want to give me more than 6 months. Or perhaps I am just thinking into this too much and the questionnaire doesn't really make a difference when applying for a visitor visa and they just give you what they give you.
You are over thinking it, lol.

The come to Canada wizard is to determine what you 'could' apply for in terms of visitor/worker/pr applications - not the length of time you are requesting.

Old Apr 1st 2014, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You are over thinking it, lol.

The come to Canada wizard is to determine what you 'could' apply for in terms of visitor/worker/pr applications - not the length of time you are requesting.

Doh! Okay thanks.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Can I check that I have this right? You want to change your condition from 'worker' to visitor, you have a new IEC letter of introduction but you don't want to activate the work permit until you have found a job?

Send the application by mail - present processing times are 58 days - you will be on implied visitor status until you get a response, provided that the application reaches CIC before your current IEC visa expires.

If you are going to be activating your IEC work permit once you have found a job, this + the time they give you should be ample time.

Be prepared to show proof that you can support yourself on the application.

This is what I was going to say.. but United v Munich kicked off haha!
Old Apr 1st 2014, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Sammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud of

Sorry to chime in but I was scanning this thread- I may be wrong but when you're talking about possibly returning to the UK and thinking about it potentially affecting your ability to apply through commonlaw sponsorship...I don't know if they've changed things now but my brother was in this situation. He had started living with his girlfriend then his IEC visa expired and his application through FSW was denied so he had to move back to the UK. During that time, he continued to pay rent on the apartment he shared with his gf, who remained living there. They came to visit each other (keeping their boarding cards!) and kept their joint bank account open. When they came to apply for their commonlaw sponsorship, I am pretty sure the time he had been living in the UK (6 months) was counted because they had clearly still been living in a relationship, separated by circumstance. Just thought that might help!
Old Apr 1st 2014, 4:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sammilc
Sorry to chime in but I was scanning this thread- I may be wrong but when you're talking about possibly returning to the UK and thinking about it potentially affecting your ability to apply through commonlaw sponsorship...I don't know if they've changed things now but my brother was in this situation. He had started living with his girlfriend then his IEC visa expired and his application through FSW was denied so he had to move back to the UK. During that time, he continued to pay rent on the apartment he shared with his gf, who remained living there. They came to visit each other (keeping their boarding cards!) and kept their joint bank account open. When they came to apply for their commonlaw sponsorship, I am pretty sure the time he had been living in the UK (6 months) was counted because they had clearly still been living in a relationship, separated by circumstance. Just thought that might help!
I'm sorry, but that wouldn't count now.

If your brother hadn't already established common-law status then any time away from each other would not have counted towards it - the clock would have started from day one once they started living together again.

First you have to establish common law status by residing together as if married for a continuous period of at least 12 months - without any breaks what so ever. Unless you do this, you will not be recognised as being in a common-law relationship by CIC. There are no if's, but's nor maybe's about it, those are the Immigration Regulations and they are set in stone. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op02-eng.pdf 5:34 onwards.

Only then could you have 'temporary and short' separation, due to work or family (such as being sent by your company to visit an office or a sibling getting married etc.)

I think your brother was extremely fortunate not to have had his application refused.

Not being able to work in the country is not a reason to be separated, that would be a matter of choice (in CIC's eyes).

Old Apr 2nd 2014, 3:16 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, but that wouldn't count now.

If your brother hadn't already established common-law status then any time away from each other would not have counted towards it - the clock would have started from day one once they started living together again.

First you have to establish common law status by residing together as if married for a continuous period of at least 12 months - without any breaks what so ever. Unless you do this, you will not be recognised as being in a common-law relationship by CIC. There are no if's, but's nor maybe's about it, those are the Immigration Regulations and they are set in stone. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op02-eng.pdf 5:34 onwards.

Only then could you have 'temporary and short' separation, due to work or family (such as being sent by your company to visit an office or a sibling getting married etc.)

I think your brother was extremely fortunate not to have had his application refused.

Not being able to work in the country is not a reason to be separated, that would be a matter of choice (in CIC's eyes).

This is my understanding of the rules. It was certainly how they were described to me by my lawyer when I was investigating going down that route a few years ago.

I've seen a few people applying recently who don't believe this is the case and have applied after moving back home. Waiting to see how their applications play out.