British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   IEC Visa re-entry (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/iec-visa-re-entry-719242/)

steveo88 Jun 1st 2011 8:34 pm

IEC Visa re-entry

Hi all, Im 2 months into my stay in Vancouver, possibly heading to the US for a bit before I start work however my IEC temporary working visa states at the bottom 'does not authorise re-renty'. Surely this just means once it has expires you cant re-enter on it? Find it hard to believe once here you cant come and go?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated, Thanks Steve

Oh and go Canucks go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DigitalGhost Jun 1st 2011 8:57 pm

Re: IEC Visa re-entry

Originally Posted by steveo88 (Post 9403374)
Hi all, Im 2 months into my stay in Vancouver, possibly heading to the US for a bit before I start work however my IEC temporary working visa states at the bottom 'does not authorise re-renty'. Surely this just means once it has expires you cant re-enter on it? Find it hard to believe once here you cant come and go?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated, Thanks Steve

Oh and go Canucks go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well yes because you can never enter or remain in a country legally on an expired visa. That's the point.

If you re-enter and don't have a pre-authorised extesion or renewal then you will need to re-enter as a tourist.

steveo88 Jun 1st 2011 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 9403431)
Well yes because you can never enter or remain in a country legally on an expired visa. That's the point.

If you re-enter and don't have a pre-authorised extesion or renewal then you will need to re-enter as a tourist.

What I mean is, as long as its still valid I can leave and re-enter on it?

DigitalGhost Jun 1st 2011 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by steveo88 (Post 9403456)
What I mean is, as long as its still valid I can leave and re-enter on it?

Oh yes, as often as you like I think. The IEC is a multiple entry visa.

PMM Jun 1st 2011 11:28 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 9403462)
Oh yes, as often as you like I think. The IEC is a multiple entry visa.

The reason for the statement on all work permits is that some workers require a TRV to enter Canada (UK& C don;t). So if a worker that requires a TRV leaves Canada, other than to the US or St. Pierre et Miquelon, their TWP will not get them back into Canada, unless they have TRV as well.

DigitalGhost Jun 2nd 2011 12:31 am

Ahhh that makes a lot of sense, is it the case then that the WP and entry visa are different so if you enter on a TWP then the officer writes a date underneath the admittance stamp in your passport which is essentially the visa part and then the WP is what allows you working rights?

As a visa waiver national for Canada you are exempt from TRV and so only need the present the LOI at immigration to get entry and work permission?